Mattias Holmgrem's Octatrack Overview

The whole this is a that in a box is a stupid statement.

It’s a fun way, should it suit you, to make music. I was once told “buying that synth is buying a VST in a box”…fuck off. A VST doesn’t have physical knobs and keys. And not as fun to play.

The box makes noises right?

Who gives a shit what it is, so long as it gets you producing.

3 Likes

to be fair… when the OT came out “dawless” wasn’t a thing. and Ableton was the best sound mangling tool around. so when people labeled it “Ableton in a box” it actually meant something.

unfortunately, such terms are over-used now and have made it an annoying and meaningless label.

4 Likes

But it’s not Ableton in a box. Ableton is Ableton in a box.

5 Likes

do they still even sell it in boxes? I might have one in my attic…

3 Likes

:rofl::+1:t6:

By box I meant computer. But ya…retail boxes?! Relic

I know what you meant. but you were being pedantic, so I was too. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I did a couple of screen shots a while back, zoom in, etc but could not tell the brand. The way his camera is framed gives a lot of presence to his watches, more than the gear. So dumb of me. I could simply ask him one day :robot:

I’m not really against it… but it seems like there has become this public shift where every comment basically is “I wish it ran on batteries” no matter the gear.

1 Like

It’s easy enough to power most of the Elektron boxes with a battery pack anyway. The no battery argument comes off as grasping for things to fill time in the video to me.

5 Likes

Yeah exactly and like I said before it’s not like anybody is gonna bring their Octatrack to the park… I have a hard time busting out my OP-1 in public without feeling embarrassed. I can’t even imagine how akward a OT would be :laughing:

5 Likes

understood but some people take their beat machines everywhere and leave everything else at home. Portability is for them… For example I know someone who’s brother is getting married at the end of September and the only way his brother could even get him to come to the wedding was by telling him he could bring his mpc, but of course that would have been rude so he’s bringing his model samples instead.

1 Like

Yeah! Batteries can only go through so many charge cycles… I get that they’re convenient; I like how something like the M8 has a battery, but I definitely wouldn’t want a battery in my OT. In the video he literally talked about taking the OT to the beach, which just sounds like a terrible idea :laughing:

2 Likes

On one hand, the absolutely worst environment for metal decay is intermittent salt water as you’d find in droplet form by the beach. Don’t take your beloved musical device to the beach.

On the other hand, I’m strongly in favor of beach parties with more experimental music delivered by Octatrack. Put a new OT in your annual party budget because that would be sick!

Maybe Elektron is taking so long on the Mk3 because it will be the same old Octatrack but with an IPX-8 housing… :surfing_woman:

3 Likes

Finally, a logical explanation for the delay on the mk3!

1 Like

Youtube hasn’t been good since like 2006

people that do that shit are just out for attention.

guys used to show up at the Gypsy Den in Costa Mesa with a laptop, midi controller and the biggest headphones they could buy just to be the center of attention. so lame.
ya yer getting some solid werk done while everyone is smacking on their lunches :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

After all that years the machine is on the market he came up with this, isn’t that amazing?

But thanks for your time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

anyone gets annoyed by the sticky buttons comment?

“for the amount you pay you would definitely expect Elektron to give you decent buttons that don’t get stuck, and it’s also an issue that the clicks are loud”

have you ever had a mechanical keyboard? any mechanical keys are prone to get sticky, it does not mean that the company skimped on the switches/keys, just clean and lube your switches jeeeeez.
also op1 keys sounds like these laptop keys, elektron is like mx red/black/clear switches, I’d always prefer tactical feeling of mechanical switch over the laptop mushy buttons, that’s not a con for the gear.

also, I will make sure to not subscribe and not hit that notification button so I will miss out on upcoming videos. thanks!

There is more than one dimension.

And in every one of them there’s a guy making a video about how it’s the octatrack’s fault his mixes sound like shit or whatever.

1 Like