Mattias Holmgrem's Octatrack Overview

2 Likes

Obnoxious DAW :joy:

1 Like

:grin:

After comparing the OT to Maschine Plus I can’t wait for the comparison between MPC and Hydrasynth…

4 Likes

Haven’t watched it yet but any content that contains ”the truth” about something in the title has a good chance of never being clicked by me.

46 Likes

It’s not a bad video, when it comes to instruments like the octatrack I love the many different perspectives that people have about it, that’s the sign of something special and a good opportunity for me to learn something

3 Likes

For sure and my comment wasn’t aimed at him or this video specifically but I consider ”the truth” to be something objective while ”this and that really rocks/sucks about the Octatrack” is entirely subjective. Clickbait titles come in very close 2nd after thumbnail wankery and makes me shut it all off instead of peaking my interest. But that’s just my subjective point of view :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

TBF the sticky button thing is a minor hardware issue that is unquestionably true for him and some others such as myself, though they’ve broken in a bit now :wink:

But yeah I hate clickbait stuff too, most times I’ll skip such videos.

2 Likes

I’ll save you all some time.

He can’t be bothered to take five minutes to deal with the sticky buttons and he’s upset that the OT isn’t an OP1 Field.

57 Likes

Thanks

4 Likes

I agree, but goddammit, for some reason I had to. Luckily I opened the video in a private window to not litter my youtube with junk.

Welp, I guess the one thing I do agree with this video is that I also think the OT is unnecessarily tedious, and that makes it a very obtuse and stubborn product to use. I never recommend the OT to beginners or anyone who has never used an Elektron product for this reason.

I never found it hard to learn though, just awkward, like if someone made pants with zippers that you had to pull down to close because that’s their philosophy, haha.

5 Likes

Zips that go up are so 20th century.

3 Likes

Zips that go down give a sexier reveal.

2 Likes

only on this forum :laughing:
now if the Octatrack could just unzip itself to reveal an dt-2 Doh!

Hearing someone sip a drink during a video is awful. had it on as background noise and instantly went red! I’m out!

9 Likes

speaking of zips, I had a zip drive once, back in the mesolithic. I wonder what e-waste landfill that ended up in?

1 Like

you know it all sounds like great samples to me, I’ve already sampled some of his dialogue, his voice and tonal inflections are perfect for old shadow-esk intros and outros…
filter out the background and slow it down when he says double tap the buttons
2:22 mark

2 Likes

To each their own! Hearing other people chewing and eating drives me insane!

2 Likes

me too!!!

1 Like