Mastering Syntakt course - Part 2 now available!

Hi fellow Elektronauts,

I’m very stoked to share with you the latest installment of the courses I’m creating: The Mastering Syntakt course. As with my previous courses the release will be done in parts with increasing degrees of complexity. The courses dive deep into the instrument’s functionality and at the same time music production and groove creation techniques. The feedback on previous courses so far has been amazing and I’m super glad to be able to continue doing this. Hopefully you’ll enjoy this course as much!

Released parts of the course:
For each part of the course I’ll post the link to the store page where you can watch the introduction video, and a few videos of the course itself so you get an idea of what it looks like.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 1+2 Bundle

The approach
The full course will dive deep into the Syntakt functionality and show from beginning to end how to get the most out of it. A look over my shoulder as I progress step by step in experimenting, and creating grooves… No quick video editing or skipping over things, but clear, thorough explanations containing a combination of Syntakt features, sound design theory and groove creation techniques.

The Full course in parts
It will be released part by part which you can buy separately or as a package as I release them. The outline I have in mind for Syntakt is similar to Digitakt and is as follows:

ST1: Basics & Groove Creation
ST2: Advanced Production Techniques
Additional Content: Sound Design deep dive

For who is this?
For anyone from a complete beginner who wants to quickly learn to use the Syntakt and create grooves, to experienced users who are looking to get inspired by new tricks, workflow and sound design ideas.

End result

• An enormous amount of video’s containing many hours of content.
  • A beautiful Syntakt Cheat Sheet
  • A workbook for each part containing all subjects of each video, notes of things I talk about, tips that appear in screen, and key-combinations.
  • For each part the project I create during the course
  • Sounds created during the course (contained in the project for part 1)

Bundle prices
As I roll out each part, I create bundles of parts that you can get for a bundle price. If you get a part in this rolling out phase, you’ll pay the same as someone who will get the entire bundle when everything’s released. So you can start right away without waiting for the bundle.

Enjoy!
If you end up taking the course I sincerely hope you enjoy it! You can always contact me if you have any questions about the course or during the course.

Cheers!

41 Likes

Thanks so much man. Some proper Elektron tutorials are much appreciated.

2 Likes

Cheers :pray:
Can’t wait to start creating part 2 :). Expect to be able to release that in July.

1 Like

I’m sure this is a brilliant course, Dave is a fantastic teacher and makes my favourite Digitakt and Digitone content on YouTube. Makes me want a Syntakt. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Claid :heart: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is part 2 still coming?

2 Likes

Yes definitely. I’ve been side lined pretty much for the past 10 months because of heavy sleep deprivation. Slowly recovering now. I need my full brain capacity to make these things so a bit more patience but it is coming :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Dave Mech is a name I recognise!

I have been doing my own studies into the syntakt, since buying it at release and not getting along with it at all, to slowly learning to like it, after getting comfortable with it’s machine ranges, to now trying to delve all it’s depths. It’s currently my preferred drum synth, although I’m still not 100% sold on the idea of it being the ‘one’ for me, its certainly close and getting closer.

Thanks heaps for the amazing work, I will be checking this out for sure! I have a lot more time on my hands now that I’ve traded work for university. (Studying computer science and taking analogue electronics/music tech electives)

edit just saw the pricetag heh… I will check it out… But being a student now has some disadvantages :sweat_smile: I have some gear on the ‘out’ pile at the moment that should leave some leftover coin to drop

2 Likes

Just checked your shop yesterday! Very interested on a sound design course for syntakt.

2 Likes

Maybe Mister Mech offers discounts for students or others short on money? You could at least ask.

Is the first (second/third) part of the course only about drums/rhythm or do you also cover the melodic side of Syntakt, @DaveMech?

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!
Drop me a message via my website and I’ll see what I can do for you regarding the price tag :wink:

2 Likes

Part 1 covers basics for both grooves and functionality but also goes into sound design. Part 2 that I’m currently (finally) working on will go much deeper into that. And there’s something else that will be released together with part 2 as well. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very much looking forward to it @DaveMech would be perfect along with my new ST E25!

3 Likes

Great news!
Today I finished recording the most important part of the course. Tomorrow editing begins and the recording of summary/ introductory videos.

Really happy with the result so far. Should go fairly quickly now to the finish line :slight_smile:

15 Likes

More good news: editing pretty much finished. Exporting has begun. Very close to release :slight_smile:

16 Likes

So stoked @DaveMech! Will you be selling a bundle of 1 & 2?

1 Like

Yeah certainly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is there some workflow with overbridge and ableton included in the course?
A syntakt track to finished master in ableton course, some idea?
with the heat fx or ableton effects would be enough…?

1 Like

Not included no as the focus is entirely on Syntakt. It’s one of the ideas I have for a general course as it is relevant for almost any elektron instrument :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s finally here :). The Mastering Syntakt Course Part 2: Advanced Production Techniques has been released. You can get it in my webshop here: Shop — Dave Mech

Here’s a performance of the track that we will create together:

Hope you enjoy the track and if you get the course I sincerely hope you enjoy it! If you have any questions, let me know. More information below.

Cheers!

Mastering Syntakt part 2 is a course aimed at people who want to learn advanced techniques to create tracks full of detail and in depth sound design on Syntakt. The course is well over 5 hours long and in it we take everything we’ve learned from part 1 and start using new, more advanced techniques and functions with a more complex and detailed approach, to create a fully performable pattern and arrangement.

The main things that we will focus on in this course are subtlety and use of space in the broadest sense of the word. You will learn how to dial in beautifully evolving and interacting sounds that seem to be different however long you keep listening to the pattern. It involves micro-editing, detailed sound design, active listening and mixing, and utilizing all that Syntakt has to offer.

This course will walk you through the entire creation process on the Syntakt: from creating a pattern through arranging in song mode to performing. This means we cover everything from sound design, mixing, arranging, and performance tricks plus pretty much every useful function Syntakt has to offer.The course is neatly divided into chapters and separate videos so you can easily find all the subjects you might want to revisit. On top of that you will get engaging assignments to take everything you’ve learned at that point and apply it to your own work.

If you followed the first part of the course, or you feel very comfortable navigating the Syntakt, this part of the course is perfect for you. It’s aimed towards intermediate and advanced users that want to dive deep into sound design, groove creation and creative use of the Syntakt in general.

21 Likes