Maschine MK3 and Kontrol Mk2

I used maschine for years, went to elektron amd tried maschine again last summer. Then I was very disappointed about the sound… I use this komplete audio soundcard… with the volume knob on top.

With this new mk3, in the presentaties they say the soundcard is mainly for live use or beginner producer.

Is it the soundcard that makes my maschine sound flat?

I love to make music, I love elektron for its workflow, But also for its instant good sound…
Can I have the same sound experience as I.e. The Digitakt on the maschine?

What soundcard are you using now?

What samplerate? Please use 96k if possible. Even when you sample vinyl on 96k you get more detail and with a flat soundcard you can figure out other details of the record you’re messing with.

Are you using Maschine in standalone?

Do you ever use the maschine internal compressor and put it on “Vintage” mode with a low compression setting on the master buss in standalone mode? Slowly drop the threshold and you can dial in a nice sound where all the elements are glued together. It’s Lit!

Do you have any compressor at the master buss on Maschine?

Sorry to say, but that’s just not true. 96khz isn’t a necessity at all.
Good DA (and AD for recording) converters are way more important to get a good clean signal to your monitor speakers. 48khz is sufficient for producing electronic music.

Maschine doesn’t have a bad sound itself. The software sound engine is fine. Just make sure you don’t produce at 44.1khz. :slight_smile:

Audio Converters
A/D Channels,
D/A Channels 4, 4
Sample Rates 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz
Bit Resolution 16, 24 Bit

Inputs 1/2
(A/D-D/A to Output*) Line Instrument Mic
Input Impedance 44 kOhm, balanced 1 MOhm, unbalanced 3.4 kOhm, balanced
Full-Scale Input Level @ max. Gain -4 dBu -9.7 dBu -36 dBu
Maximum Input Level +14.3 dBu +8.4 dBu 0 dBu
Gain -inf … +15 dB -inf … +21 dB +11 dB … +47 dB
Dynamic Range @ Unity Gain 98.3 dB (A) 98.3 dB (A) 98.0 dB (A)
THD+N (Full-Scale Level, Unity Gain) 0.013 % 0.013 % 0.013 %
Frequency Response(96 kHz), -1 dB 13 Hz - 42 kHz 12 Hz - 42 kHz 13 Hz - 45 kHz
Equivalent Input Noise @ Max. Gain — — -127.5 dBu (A)

Inputs 3/4
(A/D-D/A toOutput*)
Input Impedance 44 kOhm, balanced
Full-Scale Input Level +12 dBu
Gain -1 dB
Dynamic Range 98.5 dB (A)
THD+N (Full-Scale Level) 0.013 %
Frequency Response (96 kHz), -1 dB 12 Hz - 43 kHz

Line Outputs (D/A)
Full Scale Output Level @ Max. Volume +11 dBu
Dynamic Range @ Max. Volume 102 dB (A)
THD+N 1/2: 0.01%, 3/4: 0.02%
Frequency Response (96 kHz), -1 dB 10 Hz - 45 kHz

Headphone Output
Maximum Output Level (High Impedance) +12 dBu, 3.0 Vrms
Maximum Output Power 20 mW @ 100 Ohms, 11 mW @ 33 Ohms
Dynamic Range 102 dB (A)
THD+N @ Max Level, 100 Ohms 0.014%
Frequency Response (96 kHz), -1 dB 9 Hz - 45 kHz

Digital I/O 2 channels (5/6), SPDIF in/out, coaxial

I think these specs look good
but when I turn it on with maschine (inside ableton or ‘standalone’, so just maschine)
i just turn it off and take my elektron gear again.
I hate the ‘flat’ sound…

Bro what about recording at 96k and messing with DSP effects at 96k? Am i wasting disk space? Should I record my vinyl and drum machines in 48k and mix in 96k?

Agreed on 44.1 though. We’re still stuck in the 80s-90s at times.

For playing back audio 44.1khz is perfectly fine. There’s not a single reason to go beyond that.

For recording/production purposes this is of course different. And there’s tons to be found on the debate 96khz vs 48khz on the web. Some people swear by 96khz, I myself find it a waste of space. Things like proper gain staging, proper eqing etc. Has way more impact on sound quality.

1 Like

I guess 98 % of the people here would not hear any difference between the sampling of 96khz and 44.1khz. And your audience for your music you create even less . the youth people ears are already damaged a lot by listen all day music too loud with mp3 and smartphone players.

Great points.

Let’s keep this on topic, please.

I wonder if those are the same pad sensors and pads as the push 2 just in XL sizing. I can’t wait for someone to do a tear down comparison.

When I was using Maschine as a plug-in inside Ableton I found that routing out each sound / pad to seperate channels in live helped the sound breath a bit more. I preferred that to just using the main outs - not sure if you have tried that but give it a go.

2 Likes

I was using from version 1.2 of maschine
Enjoyed it, made me ‘play’ with sound again, after an ableton disaster
I love their software development direction and their new hardware
Really good, and for such a price

But I played with lovely Digitakt tonight
And i will go for Rytm mk2
Mainly for simplicity (I know from mk1) and the amazing sound…

Dont want to fall in the endless digital computer possibilities hole again

3 Likes

Do you like version 2.6.8 in standalone? Which model maschine are you using again?

I used to have mk1; mk2 and studio
Not too long ago I tried mk1 with 2.6
I like it, especially sound locks and morphong… But the drum synths were disappointing and the overall sound was flat, also the plug-ins. Everything I do on it needs processing before it is nice
But prefer Rytm

1 Like

No disrepect wouzer, but your statement was just to good I couldn’t resist starting up photoshop and make a road sign.

I totally get your point, I think, with the endless possibilities of computer software sometimes can get in the way of making and playing music. Diving into hardware with it’s “liberating” small set of options can be very productive.

The “flat” sound of Maschine is nothing I can relate to. I think it has punch and clarity like any hardware synth or drum machine I’ve ever used. Might be my RME Fireface UCX that helps me with that, I don’t know.

I’m very likely to upgrade my Maschine Mk2 controller to a MK3, the changes they made are right up my alley. For me when making music and trying out different ideas there’s nothing that beats the fast workflow on Maschine, and this new controller seems to give me even more of that.

12 Likes

Have to say I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these KK controllers in a few weeks. Pendulum swinging between S49 and S61…

1 Like

I once build a phono pre amp, used an IC with a TL081, and replaced it with an Analog Devices Video OP AMP. The difference was stunning - on the same cheap speakers. I hear a difference between 96kHz and 48 kHz, for me its a lot more satisfying - but i cant pin point it - its just more alive.

I feel the same with NI Maschine, it needs some processing, to make it alive. (But when you do that its fine.) As Midi Sequencer its currently very good, midi scenes, instrument definitions, arps, chords, scales, very good pads. Standalone mode is stable, and not too demanding on cpu.

2 Likes

I went with the S61, was convinced I needed more keys. Now that I’ve had it for a year or more, I kind of wish I’d have gone with the S49 and saved a few bucks. I rarely touch the highest and lowest registers.

1 Like

my main midi keyboard at the moment is a measly 25 key, I find it severely limiting. I think i’d probably go for the 61 key for my next one. its nice to have a bit of freedom, even if its only the odd note here and there it sucks to reach the bottom of the keyboard and need just a little more room. saying that I don’t know if that would happen all that frequently with the 49… id say give either a test run for the old 30 day return period

1 Like

Unless the 88 of the mk1 didn’t sell well- at that point I’d just as soon get a digital piano with midi and put an S25 on top of it, though

1 Like

I’ve been a Maschine Studio user for the past year and I simply LOVE it as a creative tool. I’m constantly easily making interesting stuff with it - the Komplete integration is just phenomenal, and the sounds from the huge amount of maschine expansions are GREAT. I originally thought they were more like loops and such more like traktor stems, but they have tons of samples and sounds to use outside the context of the example projects. And I’m not sure about the person who said Maschine sounds ‘flat’, I think the sounds are absolutely gorgeous.

The Mk 3 doesn’t seem too interesting to me vs the Studio but vs a 2 it’s great. I’m interested to see if the Studio is dead or if they’re planning another one.

I also am glad I passed on the Kontrol keyboard mk i because i was hoping for a new model. Looks like it will be fantastic.

I’m in a weird state - I don’t have enough room around my desk so my nord stage 88 (old main controller) is sitting in the other room and i mostly play my minimoog model d with my left hand for keyboard parts into Maschine (i’m right handed…) I wonder if they’ll make an 88 key mk2. I tried the 88 key mk1 and it felt absolutely horrible, night and day compared to the beautiful nord stage action. As a pianist I feel icky getting a non-88 key controller but i hated the feel… can’t decide… ergh…

2 Likes