Maschine MK3 and Kontrol Mk2

The feature that is also cool on the studio is tapping the group button on the master knob to control the selected group’s volume. This could be done on the MK3 but maybe with a shift press.

I did
so maybe I do something wrong
(or something right with elektron

I am tempted to get a Kontrol 61 but two things hold me back: I work in Ableton and feel that it is too complicated to open an instance of this kontrol plugin for every synth in order to use the keyboard properly. Second I don´t have space left on my desk (this keybord I am typing on now is sitting on my Analog Rytm´s decksaver…) and use my Analog Keys as a master keyboard. Combined with Push2 it is an excellent setup.

Yes, missing that section is a huge negative for me. I use it all the time to change group/sound/master volumes.

1 Like

Yeah- I don’t think you need it, if you’ve already got a perfect setup then no GAS fun for you. You’re just gonna have to save your surplus money like some boring person- maybe use that money to go on a vacation like some boring person. Live interesting, exotic things and develop fascinating stories like some boring person- your days of being interesting with an empty bank account might be done.

(Just to avoid assuming how people read my statement, I was ironically equating being poor with new gear as the only criteria for being interesting- and sarcastically trying to say that anyone not poor is “boring”). In actuality, I’m sure he’s quite the interesting chap(or she’s an interesting female version of a chap(or is it also “chap”?))

3 Likes

Spotted this the other night. It’s an interesting comparison - misses a few things out but still a good watch for those interested.

I still fancy the Mk3 (desite owning a Push 2) but the segment on sequencing really is a put off! Not that I ever sequenced as shown on the video on my Maschine Mk1 mind you.

I still think Ableton will drop Live 10 in November though so so I wait 5 or 6 weeks and see or just bit the bullet and go for it. Decisions, decisions.

2 Likes

vI too have had subpar experiences with NI audio interfaces… some of them sound terrible IMO

I recommend borrowing an Audient audio interface for trying maschina again with. Personally I feel like I might still be ITB if Audient quality audio interfaces had been available around 2010… audient-priced boards with that same quality that is.

When I tried my Audient ID22 the first time with Propellerheads Reason I was shocked! A significant diff IMHO

2 Likes

Should have a new S61 in the next couple of hours… Looking forward!

3 Likes

Curious - Where did you order from?

1 Like

I’m still waiting for NI to ship my Mk3…

1 Like

https://blog.native-instruments.com/designing-the-next-generation-of-music-hardware/?_ga=2.263645519.2142815735.1507599680-249742691.1433995703

Good read about the design of the new maschine

1 Like

Have to laugh at that really, especially stuff like…

“If we simply reacted to the music tech gear that’s out there today, we’d already be behind by the time we released anything.”

Yes, that’s why they totally ignored all design cues from the Push 2.

3 Likes

I confirm on those burrow brown converters, they are magnificent. But i am not sure if i would go again for a USB Interface Soundcard. I had many problems with that, using Intel Controllers Chips, and an expensive mainboard. I even bought a new USB PCI express card , which improved the USB situation, but its not perfect. From a bandwidth and latency point, i would go for a thunderbolt or pci-express sound card.

1 Like

Indeed, there are way fater I/O options available!

1 Like

Maschine MK3 :
Good Hardware
Poor software

Really liking the the MK3

1 Like

You got it already bro? How much better are the pads?

Oh really

Not really a finger drummer but I like tapping them. I’m not feeling a huge difference between the Mk2 and 3.

BUT…

not hype. The Mk3 is a better experience all around. I never used a Studio but these screens are cool. Step sequencing is way easier/better

1 Like

I saw that video yesterday. It doesnt look great at first glance but for my purposes (and I suspect the vast majority too) you’ll never notice an issue. The screw is probably very light. When he compares it to the Studio, I didn’t think there was a huge difference - still wasn’t working consistently!

1 Like