Manifold - For The Octatrack (iOS App)

I’m trying the app since some minutes and i found out that in Slice mode if i go with the arrow towards an upper octave of the keyboard, pressing on a key from the 5th note up from the normal pitch makes the app crashes.
It is normal i guess since it doesn’t exist on the OT but is it possible to change that? It makes a potential risk when playing live to crash the app.

A few other things:

• Is it be possible to add the equivalent of the FUNC key when playing chromatic? On the OT, it allows to use chromatic keyboard without restarting the sample, making it possible to change the pitch while the sample is played.

• The sensitivity of the potentiometers is really low, it needs a few drags to change from zero to max. Could be an option to adjust it by ourselves or just increase it by an update?

• Maybe add the track number above/below the faders, can be confusing when having to go fast.

• No access to MIDI tracks?

Going back to try to understand the basics and possibilities :wink:
thanks again for this app and the following of it!

• I’ll fix the crash and look into the dial sensitivity / mixer labelings
  • I don’t think it’s possible to replicate the FUNC key externally
  • No MIDI Tracks control at the moment
1 Like

Sorry, I edited the message above, didn’t know u’d be so reactive :wink:

1 Like

Great app!

I just pretty much dislike the colorscheme though.

Could you add themes maybe? I just added a blue filter ontop in Affinity – something like this would look better for my eyes:

I’m not that happy with the UI, but themes is a little bit beyond the scope of the app. I submitted a new update today that will address the crash and some UI contrast.

5 Likes

I think the UI is okay - just your color palette is a bit wonky.

Update:

• Fixed a crash that would occur with high notes in the Chromatic Keyboards
  • Improved dial sensitivity
  • Improved UI contrast & minor UI changes
7 Likes

Waw so quick you are, never saw such a responsive dev :wink:

Did you change the speed of the dials? I don’t notice the difference TBH.
Thanks for the rest though :smiley:

I just took some time to mangle with Manifold and I encounter a problem: the Track 1 controls T1 but the T2 as well… no way to control T2.
I tried a reset but still the same…

I also notice that in the manual it is said to active CC’s but Note as well is needed to receive Transport messages (activate or not Transport receive on the OT don’t change nothing).

I don’t have that issue. Using MIDI Monitor I see that Track 2 is sent on the default MIDI Channel 2…make sure your MIDI Channels on the OT match those of the app and are unique. You are correct about the Transport, which does utilize MIDI Notes.

1 Like

My audio & Midi channels match though…

Am i missing any other setting?

Nope, how are you connecting the app to the OT? Directly or through a DAW? The app only sends and receives Notes / CC’s so it’s not doing anything fancy. Again MIDI Monitor shows CC’s being sent on the appropriate channel.

1 Like

I am sending directly within the app to the output Midi port of my soundcard connected to the Midi in of the OT.
Strange as all other channels are ok.

Edit: sorry, it’s actually much more messy than i thought. Playing with levels make things very erratic: some tracks keep playing if i lower until zero, the first 3 ones are linked to track 1, …

I must have a MIDI issue somewhere…

No idea :\ works fine here … test on a new Project? Try setting Track 2 to channel 9? What happens then? Do you have a MIDI Monitor app on your PC?

1 Like

I tried with different projects and i still get the same behaviour.

In a MIDI monitoring app, in Notes in i see only channel 0 and channel 4 sending even after a reset.
When i change channel 2 to channel 9, same behaviour.

You see only channel 0 and 4 when doing what in the app? There is no such thing as a MIDI Channel 0.

1 Like

TBH i don’t trust some much these Free Midi apps, they seem to show different stuff…
That one’s called Midi Spy and whatever i am doing, even all stopped it shows me Notes In CH0 and CH4.

Again, there is no such thing as MIDI Channel 0…MIDI Channels are only 1-16. Also, notes are only used for the Transport and Keyboards…Parameter values are CC’s. What are you trying to do? What mode are you using in the app (P / F / M / S)?

1 Like

Sorry, I am totally lost when it comes to Midi it seems.

I am for the moment playing the volumes of different tracks in the Parameters page. Unless it is not what i think it…

The bottom Mixer sliders send out CC 46 on the Track’s respective channel. There are no notes involved.

1 Like