Malekko Manther, Mr. D, and BFF Grooveboxes

Right hand encoder to select and the left hand encoder to go back, if you know what I mean

1 Like

Yeah hopefully this will be fixed with the up and coming updateā€¦fingers crossed

1 Like

Has anyone heard any word on when the BFF or Mr. D will drop? Iā€™ve emailed Melekko and dmā€™ed them on their Facebook page a couple of months ago but never heard anything. Just curious to know if anyone has heard any progress on these two. Iā€™m in love with my Manther and would really like to have the trio one day.

1 Like

The lack of communication with them seems quite disturbing. I am interested in that Mr. D as well.

Hopefully they will be released once the manther has been updated and when everyone is happy :laughing:

Yeah I wonder given that those boxes are seemingly even more complex on the software side of things. Maybe they are really trying to iron out all issues in the manther and then the same on those units before release. They are a pretty small company and each of those boxes is pretty ambitious. If you like the look of those I feel like the gotherman stuff is probably worth a look also, I think he makes stuff that could potentially fill the role of both those boxes. Never used one and they are expensive but also totally wild.

1 Like

looks like a lot of manu divingā€¦

Still very tempted by interface + sound + sequencer of the manther. Hope they can work things out.

1 Like

No not compared to other machines

3 Likes

Looks like they just posted the firmware update. Havenā€™t had a chance to update yet but the changes are listed. No mention of the sync change bug or timing. Hopefully itā€™s fixed.

1 Like

What :grinning:

edit

i wonā€™t update mine, some problems over at muffw. , and i am not interested in new functions. I had zero problems ex. i donā€™t like how encoders fell wrong.

Actually, they added osc range is saved now with the sound. Thats cool :slight_smile:

gotherman stuff ? Thatā€™s what i was referring to

These days it pays to be cautious - and I dont blame you because I feel the same way - but as of now, there is a total one person on muffw complaining about the update. Maybe thats the only person in the world having this problem. Butā€¦ Iā€™m still not upgrading until I read at least one success story - or Malekko provides a copy of the 1.0 firmware so I can roll back if I have problems.

i am not updating because i donā€™t have any problems, i donā€™t need new futures. Saving OSC range is nice, if they add pattern change midi messages, i will update (maybe).
When i bought my malekko manther i was just hoping he will sync and save sounds and patterns, which he does, everything else is unimportant in this moment for me, even the crazy encoders, i donā€™t care, interface is great and the sound also, that is why i am in to this synth.

Could it be better? jeah , sure, everything could be better, there is not one single damn thing done perfect. As we all have to be fed up with that fact all over again, day after day like in some stupid nightmare.

Yeah, they should provide the roll back to 1.0 possibility in some way, or be sure they have got 1.1 right.

Who doesnā€™t like something, sent it back and go on with your perfect lives.

Kind of agree, great they are supporting but Iā€™m not in a rush. Itā€™s a fine machine

1 Like

tl;dr: I went ahead and updated and it seems to be working correctly.

Its an interesting process sending an audio signal to the gate input. Reminded me of using cassette tapes to back up and restore my first computer. My first two attempts failed. They were not joking when they said the signal needs to be loud. I would have said extremely loud.

The fast envelope adds a whole new dynamic to the sound. I will probably use this more than the slow one.

My only gripe so far is the transpose workflow. It feels like something a computer programmer would like better than a musician. With the sequencer running you can transpose by hitting shift+transposeUp or down to transpose an octave. Thats logical. But if you want to do semitones, you need shift+transpose+keyboardButton. So shift+transposeUp+F takes me up 5 semitones. If I keep shift+transposeUp depressed and click C, then my root note is back to C. Kind of what I would expect. Iā€™m calling that ā€œabsoluteā€. But if I release shift+transposeUp+F the current transpose becomes baked in. Now if I need to return to root C I need shift+transposeDown+F. That seems odd to me. I can see some logic, but I dont think Iā€™m going to like that so much. Iā€™m calling that ā€œrelativeā€. I think I would prefer to work in absolute mode almost all the time, but to do that Iā€™d need to keep shift+transpose engaged, which is not really going to be possible. Maybe Iā€™ll get used to itā€¦ maybe not.

4 Likes

New update up ver 1.11

Also up is ver 1.0

:blush:

2 Likes

VERSION. 1.11 UPDATE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING BUG FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
ISSUES WITH TRANSPOSE

Fixes octave transpose related note value changes, no longer allowing pitches outside of 6 octave range.

ISSUES WITH STUCK NOTES

Fixes stuck notes when using internal keyboard.

ADSR ENVELOPE IMPROVMENTS

SLOW MODE attack envelope now linear only.

LFO IMPROVEMENTS

LFO SLOW MODE MAX SPEED now approx. 20Hz

2 Likes

Ever since I got the Manther Iā€™ve been really interested in the other two tabletop boxes that are in the works.
I reached out to Melekko to see what theyā€™re up to and this is what they sent me. I thought Iā€™d share for those of you who are also interested:

Hi Jay thanks for getting in touch and glad youā€™re digging the Manther!

We are looking at 2019 for the BFF now (Manther was actually a slightly larger endeavor than we originally anticipated and really wanted to get it right). We have a few more products we want to release and then weā€™ll be back on the tabletops so stay tuned!

4 Likes