Make Noise modular

Any modular heads out there can recommend Make Noise modules/system?
Wonder what is the build quality of the modules compared to other Eurorack makes or even other systems Frac etc. I like the idea of having same make, in one system.
http://www.makenoisemusic.com/systems.shtml

Cheers!

From what I remember the build quality was eurorack standard (meaning it was on par with most eurorack modules from other manufacturer I had). There are better built eurorack modules out there though (Iā€™m thinking Cwejman - built like a tank). But Make Noise is good.

I had a QMMG, a Wogglebug, 2 maths, and a RenƩ.

The QMMG is unfortunately discontinued, but has been replaced by the MMG I think. It was one of my favorite modules. The Maths is also one of the most versatile module Iā€™ve had, definitely get at least one. I didnā€™t gel much with the RenĆ© and the Wogglebug thoughā€¦

Itā€™s been almost 2 years since I sold my Eurorack to get into another format but Iā€™m drawn back to euro. Itā€™s definitely the scene with the most innovation and choice out there, and Iā€™m actually quite blown away at how things evolved since 2 years ago. Iā€™ll definitely get back into euro someday, probably sooner than later.

Iā€™d say that having a one manufacturer system can be both a blessing and a curseā€¦ Itā€™s good because you have a certain logic as to how things work form one module to another, panel design, etc. But there are so many amazing modules out there from many manufacturers that one would have to have a lot of willpower and focus to stick to the one manufacturerā€™s route. For me, I think thatā€™s what appealing with euro, to have so many choiceā€¦

Thanks man, really appreciate it!
Yeah my worry of entering modular world is the fact that its easy to get addicted and keep buying new modules. Seem like black hole :alien:
Was hoping that can avoid that by having one make in one small system, probably wont work :wink:

You could buy the system all at once with the firm intention of being done after thatā€¦ but if you donā€™t have much experience with modular, it would be strongly suggested not to do so. Better start small with a basic system and try to understand it, then expand after. Thatā€™s usually when the ā€œone manufacturer systemā€ intention gets destroyedā€¦

Or, you could consider another format than euro. Easier to stay focused on one manufacturer that way. But, depending on which format you choose, it may very well end up being pricier and you most certainly will have less selection to choose from.

I seriously thought about one of the make noise systems (like you i liked he idea of a cohesive system) but really like the sound of some of the other brand modules too. Intellijel in particular seem to do a lot of stuff I want. The maths is the bollox though and the QMMG is indeed fab but very expensive now due to being discontinued. :frowning:

My plan has transformed to getting a 9u case and filling about one row to begin with, then work out what is needed from there and slowly fill it up.

If your interested in frac I have a a system some here that I will be sellingā€¦ If youre interested let me know- i have no time scale so cam be flexible.

I kept my frac after losing the euro so that tells you something about how I feel about euro in general. I liked the make noise stuff a lot, though its not perfect- still donā€™t like the feel of the panel mount pots, though I had no issues with failures.

Single manufacturer systems make a lot more sense to me though, from both a GAS and a user interface perspective.

Thanks for your input guys.
havent heard of Intellijel before, looks interestingā€¦

Iā€™m thinking of 6U rack versatile and portable system packed into flight case kind of thing. Looked at Make Noise as just found out they are based in Asheville, i will be there in Sep. Might pop in to their workshop, would be cool to check it out. Their new modules Echophone and Phonogene look cool as well.

If I go Eurorack I would add Z-DSP from Tip-Top audio sooner or later as found it intriguing for a while now.
Hey Andy i was hoping you chime in as well :slight_smile: remember you mentioned Eurorack having worse build quality then the others. Your Frac system was quite big tho, you selling it all? Still keeping your Bugbrand?

Build quality varies, its not all bad but theres a lot that isnt great. what I donā€™t like in euro is the lack (or rather mix) of standards. Thereā€™s some fantastic stuff going on in that format so if you can live with the inconsistent designs, mismatched voltages and stoopid way of plugging in the modules youā€™ll be fine.

Iā€™ve traded some frac recently and am left with a 2 rows of synth voice and one row of percussion. At some point ill be selling all of it. Iā€™m afraid the bug is stayingā€¦ Youā€™re the third to ask this week!

MMG is acid awesome. Dpo is also awesome if you got money to blow.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77764&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=desc

I will be finding tidbits of makenoise info and posting it here and there when I can.
I really dig the shared systemā€¦ Over time you can add if you like. Do you have a octatrack?
I can find anything to make into Octa-food but having a modular rig with an OT is probably the
wisest gear choice I made in over 8-10 years.

There are so many manufacturers and formats. I designed my system in euro and found manufacturers
that complimented each other ā€¦makenoise> the harvestman>synthesis technology> intelligel. I just finished
building my rig and am stoked. If I could afford buchla, I would have a 200e but would prob. Trade it or sell it off for
euro again. There are just sooooooo many modules out there to work with IMO
and if you are into isolating and getting certain sounds I found it easier to build something than have to menu dive into a box.
With all that said, there is something for everybody.
The makenoise modules are a solid build, there are CVā€™s for nearly everything and I found it to be very versatile.
Cheers

Cheers Indigo,

Been in MakeNoise workshop in Asheville few weeks ago. Great experience, have Tony Rolando explaining the modules. Iā€™m definitely convinced now that modular is the way to go. Didnā€™t get the case as was too difficult to transport. Planning to start with their system 0 + phonogene in bigger case and add modules as I learn. In the mean time Iā€™m playing with modular grid :wink: this is what I came up with so far.
http://modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/51984

I just ordered a Happy Ending Kit and am getting a few Make Noise Modules to go into it.
I do plan on getting a bigger set up a 6u and a Skiff for sequencer/controller type modules

Hey Koshi ,
I like this modular grid system of 6U that you lined up. Did you decide on a few modules yet?

Here is a thread from Muffs on shared Makenoise patches with some ideas.
I havent been on here much, sorry for the delay in response :zonked:
I am excited you were at a Makenoise workshop, I know there was just a Trash Audio gathering last weekā€¦
Are you in the NC area? I hope to get out there for a gathering soon, I am 6 hours from Asheville and am saving some $$$ to get out there, hopefully for the next gathering.
Big Ups

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77764&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=desc

Here is some good stuff on the Rene:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76188&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=desc

Here is the most informative guide for Makenoise Maths: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63068&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=desc

Scroll to the beginning of the thread and the PDF link is there AND also read throughout the thread because there were some updates and such

Here is a thread of tutorials from many manufacturersā€¦ scroll down for some makenoise tutorials along with Harvestman etc.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48946&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=desc
&
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72953&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=desc

Here is a list of a few books on sound design and synths in general FWIW: Microsound is tied into the Phonogene, its a good read
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1315502&highlight=#1315502

I will send more when I find a few things to add. Peace

1 Like

Digging up an old thread to ask Eurorack heads a question. Iā€™m interested in the Make Noise Morphagene, currently donā€™t have any Eurorack. If I wanted to start a case with something like the Morphagene, what would people recommend to get along with it to get started? Currently have the 0-Coast, using it along with Analog Rytm, Sub 37 and some Moogerfoogers. Iā€™d like something like the Morphagene for concrete type stuff and build from there, what would i need for the basics aside from a powered case obviously. I was thinking a while back of just buying the System Concrete but itā€™s now shot up in price and wanna swap out the Phonagene for the Morphagene anyway and slowly build it up.

Or maybe you could save my wallet and advise me not to go down the rabbit hole at all haha but I think Iā€™ve been sitting on the fence with it so long that its inevitable sooner or later.

I started with a shared system and expanded to 9U. Basing this off of my experience with the phonogene, Iā€™d say youā€™d be happy pairing it with maths, tempi, and a wogglebug. You could do it with just the wogglebug at first and add later as you figure out how you like using it. Obviously if you want to mix manufacturers there are plenty of options. Just go for clock sources, modulation and maybe delay/reverb.

Thanks for the response. Seems like good advice, might start with a small case with the Morphagene and Wogglebug, maybe Maths too, though I believe the 0-Coast has some of the functions Maths has so that could tie me over until I have more money. Effects wise Iā€™ve got the Moogerfooger 104m and 102 as well the Ekdahl Moisturizer which all have cv inputs, maybe get the ā€˜Rosieā€™ too so I have an effects send and return?

I have completely the opposing theory to almost everyone else as far as Eurorack is concerned, in that my ethos is:

1. Keep to a single manufacturer and keep their modules together as far as possible. I prefer Make Noise, but do have a couple of Mutable Instruments modules as well
  2. Fill up as much space as you can as quickly as you can. I know the conventional wisdom is ā€˜go slowlyā€™, but I believe if I had started with two modules or whatever Iā€™d have been pretty uninspired pretty quickly.

I only have 6U filled and I filled it within a month. Now I have a really playable and versatile instrument that will last me years of exploration. I have no plans to expand it.

2 Likes

Remember that the Rosie is going to send and return at red hot modular level.

The 0-Coast has what is essentially one of the outer channels of Maths and a little two channel mixer with one attenuverter, I would not skip on Maths if you really have to budget carefully. Maths is crucial - itā€™s in almost every rack in the world with good reason.

1 Like

Maths is just fantastic, cross patched its capable of so much. Sit very well along side Morphogen. Wogglebug would give you a different slant on modulation plus stepped cv & random gate bursts.
Tempi is very good but lacks a reset which really annoyed me in the end. Went with 4MS in the end, much prefer it.

1 Like