Make Noise 0-coast

Pitch knob didn’t change anything :frowning:

Edit : balance is now completely on left, still nothing.

try to turn the voltage math attenuverter and the dynamic completely clockwise. Balance to 12 o’clock, overtones to 12.
If this doesn’t help try another patch cable…

Another common culprit is the fact that 0-Coast’s line output actually takes TRS but it’s a mono signal. So if the input you’re patching into is balanced, you’ll hear nothing or a very faint signal.

The output accepts TRS so that people could patch headphones right in and hear 0-Coast in both ears, but it’s caused all sorts of confusion.

They updated the manual a couple of years ago, thankfully.

I note that they now ship with a 1/8” TRS to female 1/4” adaptor instead of the old very short cable.

I love this synh and all its weirdness.

1 Like

So I actually got around to buying one of these the other day…
Didn’t gel with it for the first two days, then today it all clicked and I am now in love with this synth :heart_eyes:

It is so damn great, plugged it into my el capistan and it sounds otherwordly…

5 Likes

Have you tried factory resetting the 0-coast? When I got mine second hand it had some weird settings that made it not respond properly.

1 Like

yeah mine had so many weird setting i just factory reset :v:

1 Like

Stackable patch cables ftw.
Self playing baseline patch

5 Likes

Going to receive mine in few days…bought second hand so hopefully latest update (the guy who sold it doesn’t know which one is loaded on the unit…anyone knows if it’s possibile to discover by serial number or some button combo on switch on?)

Anyway…I can’t wait…I really like the way timbre is shaped (first time with this handful WestCoast approach)

1 Like

The installed firmware can be read from the LED sequence on startup. See the firmware upgrade pdf on the make noise website for the exact combinations.
Have fun with your new purchase!

2 Likes

Thanks @senor-bling.
It appears to be the latest, following sequence described in the firmware update instructions.rtf file.

Though I am experiencing impossibility to send clock division from CC116. I mean, I can send pitch bend control (not tested all the available) but if I send value 1 thru 4 on CC116 nothing changes. I followed MakeNoise’s video Patch of the Week #20.

If someone has any advice, it’ll be really helpful!
Thanks!

Yeah, this one is weird. I’ve built a Logic environment for the 0-coast and all cc params work as they should, except this one. I’ve managed to get some reaction to cc#116 once, but I think it wasn’t quite what I had expected. Might have another look today… :slight_smile:

Ok then, it’s time I write to support.
Thanks dude

I forgot to mention that 0coast doesn’t react to official M4L programmer too…

Alright, so it seems #116 doesn’t work when sync to MIDI clock is active. But if I send a CV/clock signal to Tempo In (like from the A4), then the Clock Out and Random generators use the division set via #116. Nice. But weird.

If the M4L doesn’t work for you at all, are you sure you’re sending to the correct channel(s)? Something like Midi Monitor sometimes helps solve strange problems.

Got a reply from Support who believes my unit (1478) belongs to a batch with an old firmware, with a start-up sequence identical to the actual one (1.6.8).

So, gonna spend the time to perform it and back here.
Thanks so far!

1 Like

Hi!
Does anyone know some good officially released (under the label) track where 0-coast does main synths? I’m always curios about this. All those hundreds of gadgets are fun to play etc, but can you do some finished track with it? I meant not only with 0-coast, but where 0-coast is one of important players. I know YT is full of audio examples but it’s different thing.
thanks!

2 Likes

I think I understand what it is you’re asking, but I’m not sure whether there’s a point to the question. I mean, why shouldn’t you be able to do a finished track with anything? You could use a toy melodica and perform in front of thousands of people (https://youtu.be/DEbAUcdfbmk?t=251). Give it some time and it will appear on an official release, whatever that means these days.

2 Likes

Yes I understand your point. But still, does someone know such track?

3 Likes

Definitly yes, it’s a distinguishable main voice in its own right.

The 0-Coast generates sounds, which - IMO - are much more west-coast than sounds generated by the typical subtractive synthesis. The 0-Coast sound is also reacting very sensible to modulation. There are many timbres possible, which can easyly cut through the mix. It’s great for melodic, percussive, and “chaotic” sounds. It’s a matter of the patch and how modulation is applied of course. But if this is done well, the 0-Coast can sound like two completely different voices singing the same song in an alternating way.

If you have an 0-Coast, play a simple melody with a sequencer and turn the knobs. There are dramatic changes of the sound possible :wink:

Yes, thank you. I know it is great and so on. There is no doubt about it.
But I’m here just to ask does anyone know finished and released track. Let’s say vinyl released?
I can give endless examples where tr909, tr808, sh-101, tb303 etc is used, but I just want to hear track where 0-coast is used and what’s really succeeded.
I don’t want to say there is no such tracks, I just want to hear it, and to build confidence that it’s possible achieve :slight_smile:

1 Like