MacOS Mojave to Catalina warning

Well, I do hope Apple updates Aperture :wink: … and we still have Ambiance working in Catalina either way … oh … yes … and also forgot my Unsanity tools ehm. Thanks for heads up William, this is TGV ride … not sure I want to keep up…

1 Like

Still on Sierra lockdown over here too…

1 Like

Er… anyone has a 64bit alternative to C6? :sweat_smile:

For MIDI Patchbay at least there’s the source code on GitHub. I was able to recompile it for 64bits with just a few changes to the build settings. I don’t have an active paid Apple Dev account at the moment, so I’m not going to upload my compiled version here. But it should be simple enough for anyone who’s opened Xcode before.

2 Likes

By the way (…and I mentioned this in another thread), although I’m not planning to jump to Catalina in the short term, I’ve been trying Parallels running a Mojave VM - ironically under Mojave as host, to see if it’s looking good for some crucial 32 bit apps.

I’ve had success with Nord G2 editor and the Access Virus backup/restore application.

There do seem to be a lot of installers though, which are 32 bit applications installing combined 64/32 bit drivers and 64 bit applications. That’s possibly one area of concern.

1 Like

Are we going to hear from Elektron team about C6 64-bit compatibility soon? Considering Catalina will be released in some weeks.

2 Likes

Agree.
32 bits apps will be clearly rejected this time. Don’t update your system if it already works perfectly.

2 Likes

FYI, thought I’d share, the friendly folk at MOTU support tell me they’re working on a 64-bit macOS driver package, and that it will be released in the fullness of time.

:sunflower: :sun_with_face: :rose:

3 Likes

Not saying this negates the statement, but one good reason to stay up to date is to ensure you have the latest security updates installed. (I believe Apple has been pretty good about releasing security patches for previous generation OSes in the past, but something to keep in mind.)

2 Likes

Got to say, I’m more on this side of the fence than not. It’s been on the cards for years and shouldn’t be an issue. Kind of glad we’re finally seeing a cut off being implemented to be honest.

1 Like

Oh that’s great news! Did they happen to tell if legacy devices will be supported?

I think I read a while ago that elektron are working on a solution/replacement for c6 , no clue of when though.

I’m stuck on old os as my mac is old

Not in so many words, but I specified that I wanted to keep using my (10-year-old) ultralike mk3, and it was to that that they answered that a driver update is coming.

If I had to bet, I’d bet on them continuing to support whatever’s currently supported by the 32 bit macOS driver.

1 Like

Happy to hear that. Thanks again for the info @tengig . I got an 828 mk3 and was not planning on getting rid of it so soon :smile:

1 Like

There’s big on ABLETON too I receive a message for Ableton 9 - so everybody on version 9 should really not upgrade Catalina. There are working on a beta for version 10… So it really show in terms of timing, you should take care (if you still wan to make music without too much issues) and not upgrade.

I will keep myself on Mojave 10.14.6 for a while (like I never done that…) but this time I know why…

End of life for Live 9 on Mac :frowning:

…and from fb

we’re sorry about this situation, we also regret the new update to the MacOS, but we simply don’t have the means to keep investing time and effort in older versions of Live, as we are at the same time investing a lot of effort to develop a bug-free version of the current and future Live versions. On top of that, we receive hundreds of feature requests from our users on our daily basis and with developing those, it is for us simply not feasible to have an extra team dedicated to keep previous versions bug-free.

Remember people. Don’t.

1 Like

Is there a way to turn off that thing that asks when you want to update? Not only is it annoying it’s also dangerous

1 Like

I guess in Preferences

Updates
Advanced and unchecked everything…

1 Like

I’m on Mavericks & going nowhere :rofl:

1 Like