MacOS Catalina, setting up overbridge

Hi @Uija. Trying to make this work… After running the above command, I get the following error:

/Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Any idea how it could be fixed? Thanks!

Go to the security section in your preferences. If I remember that correctly, there is a button that you need to click to allow the loading

1 Like

Late to the party here, but thanks Uija for this great workaround! Still wondering, now that we have the official version of Overbridge 2.0, has the issue been fixed in a way that I might have missed? For now, I still have to enter that sudo command you suggested each time after booting my computer.

Great that it works for you. I currently don’t own a Overbridge-Elektron-Device, so I cannot check about the latest version.

OK… well it definitely seems like not much has changed.

Just don’t mention the digitakt is oddly quieter than all the other overbridge devices…
or you will be silenced :joy:

Hi ! First of all thans a lot for your help, it helped me to identify the issue, which is the kext not loading. Catalina drives me a bit crazy :dizzy_face:

Unfortunately I have the " failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). " message .
But, in Preferences/Security, there’s nothing that I can do. The weird thing is that the extension is authentified but not loaded (“chargé” in french).

Anybody has a similar issue? It’s a bit frustrating to keep on trying (more than 8 hours spent on this issue), and I’d like to know if there’s something I can do or if I just have to wait next updates of Catalina/Overbridge.

I just installed Overbridge on my Mac running Catalina and ran into the issue mentioned above. @Uija 's fix worked fine! Thank you!

Any reason why Elektron hasn’t fixed this yet in the official release?

I have no clue about programming. What I know is, that apple did a major revamp for drivers in Catalina.

Yeah, that is unfortunate. The kind of crap Apple pulls in the name of security.

Based on your terminal hack, shouldn’t Elektron be able to figure out a way around it?

My Roland SE-02 doesn’t show up either. I hope devs don’t ignore Catalina users. I had no choice on my new laptop. :frowning:

If you are lucky, the same workaround just with different names might work for that too

It seems like the SE-02 problem was from my end. Roland has updated drivers for Catalina.

Just got a Digitone today and using Catalina. It wasn’t connecting but your fix worked! Hopefully Elektron can figure out a way to fix the drivers.

This is awesome, hopefully this can be picked up on and fixed in the installer soon, just had to use it…

CB

I just installed Catalina and Logic 10.5. None of my Elektron machines that are overbridge enabled are seen when I connect them to my iMac. Here’s some screenshots:

terminal:

I’ve reinstalled Overbridge and nothing seems to work. Please help. I would like to be able to multi-track record a session I need to do. Thanks so much ~ m

The screenshot of the terminal shows, that the driver is not available. The line with kextstat does not return anything, so the driver is not there. Something must have gone wrong during installing the drivers.

so what can i do? i’ve just tried to open the installer’s package and I can’t. I don’t have that command via the finder

update I checked to see if the .kext file is there, and it is. I plug the RYTM into my macbook pro and I can see it in the Engine. This is so fucking frustrating.

Thanks for the help above, Uija, it helped me to connect DT and DN to my clean install of OS Catalina.

Without finding your post I would have wasted even more hours trying to connect them without success. Thank you.

It’s very disappointing that Overbridge doesn’t work with a Mac without this.

Is there any acknowledgement from Elektron that the software doesn’t really work for OS X? Or is this just how Overbridge is?

No. There is no acknowledgement. There is no mention of Catalina at all in the latest Overbridge manual aside that it works on 10.15 (Latest Update), however the latest manual is for a previous version of Overbridge.

I’ve tried everything over and over again. I get as far as the failed to load others are experiencing when attempting the workaround.

The note in the Overbridge manual abou High Sierra is also confusing, being that this isn’t high Sierra, but:

Click Allow on the “Elektron Music Machines MAV” entry (at lower right of General pane)
within 30 minutes of the Overbridge installation.

Three uninstall/installs later, that option never appears on my machine where it does in everybody else’s screenshot. Is this still a mandatory step on Catalina?

Aside:
In the years I’ve owned my Digitakt, these kinds of frustrations have come up for me every single time on every Mac OS going back to El Capitan, so while I totally understand that Apple has kind of fucked everyone, Elektron hasn’t given me much faith either or any reason to blame Apple. My audio interfaces work fine, my DAW works fine. In all these years the only thing that has consistently caused problems for me are everything surrounding Elektron be it Overbridge, the VST, Transfer, whatever. The upgrade/update procedure of this stuff never works out of the box. Sorry to be negative, but like many others I’ve lost hours and honestly the little free time I have to work on music is infinitely more valuable than this one product.