MacOS Catalina, setting up overbridge

Hey everyone.

I just got my Digitakt, and I’m trying to figure out how to get Overbridge working. My computer isn’t communicating with the Digitakt at all via the usb cable. I have version 1.11 on my Digitakt and MacOS Catalina. Where do I start?

Thanks.

seems you need the latest version of overbridge (beta?) “and It is important to notice that Overbridge 1.15.0 requires OS upgrades for all the machines. It is not possible to use OB 1.15.0 with previous (public) Elektron OS:es, and it is also not possible to use the new Elektron OS:es with Overbridge 1.10.x installations”

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/502

i don’t use overbridge. i only have an octatrack but i think all the info is in the FAQ etc at elektron.se

1 Like

Have everything downloaded, overbridge and all, still not working unfortunately… Gunna try a full system off and on but if there’s any other suggestions I would love to hear!

Overbridge mode enabled on the Digitakt? In USB config settings. Simple thing but easy to miss.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s checked, and still no luck :confused: … Is there anything else I should be aware of in the settings of my digitakt or computer that could be blocking the connection?

I couldn’t get it to run either. For me it is the USB driver, that is not loaded automatically.

What you can do to check:

Open your Terminal:
type in:

kextstat | grep elektron

If you get something like the following, I am sorry, then you have a different problem. You can stop here.

210 0 0xffffff7f85c0a000 0x5c000 0x5c000 se.elektron.overbridge.driver (3.4.7) 1ACFBF21-FC10-3B8C-812F-C38A65F4EB84 <21 6 5 3 1>

If there is nothing shown after that command, we need to check, if the driver is there:

cd /Library/Extensions
ls -la | grep “Elektron”

If there is nothing listed, you need to install the drivers correctly.
If you have something like the following: Good, we are nearly there:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96 11 Dez 16:38 ElektronOverbridge.kext

Now you need to load the driver manually

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext

You will be asked for the Administrator-Password. Type it in and the Driver should load.

After that, connect your Elektron Device to your Mac and you should see the device listed and ready to use.

I have to do this every time I start my computer. If anyone has an idea how to automate this, please help :wink:

10 Likes

Thanks for the advice!

So I went through the process you described, and I got the following response…

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 1.57.45 PM.png

Is there another command I can try? I know that the ElectronOverbridge.kext file exists, I found it in finder.

Or is there something else I can try?

Thanks again!

…gimme hope, catalina…hope… catalina…hope… before the morning comes…

don’t blame overbridge, please, while the whole audio planet don’t trust the actual apple os yet… even when it comes to their everyday in use daws…

hope u get it to work all smooth again…

1 Like

Somehow I cannot see the screenshot

Oh strange! It says the following:
sudo: kextload/Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext: command not found

There needs to be a space between kextload and the path to the ext

OMG, it worked… This is amazing!

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Glad that it worked! Have fun with this awesome feature!

1 Like

…ahhhh…there is hope for catalina…that’s advanced…and damned good news…

1 Like

I had the same issue over here. Thanks so much for your instructions. Worked like a charm. Cheers!

So uh the Catalina compatibility bit is not accurate out of the box? What a shit workaround.

The thing is: Catalina shipped with a complete rework of the security system, that makes tons of trouble in software development. So as the only issue is, that you have to manually load the drive, it’s working way better than tons of other tools out there.
I am not quite sure, but I would bet, that this needs some kind of certification from Apple, that is quite expensive and is not done for beta software or something.

Regarding the fact, how much music related software is not running at all on Catalina, I think Elektron is doing a good job here. Maybe the info how to get that driver issue handled should have been communicated by them, not found out by trying of users :slight_smile:

Mate you are a legend. Worked like a charm for me. Running Catalina, Overbridge 2.0.31.1 and Digitakt 1.11. One additional step I had to do was to go to System Preferences / General, and click “Allow” for the Elektron software that was listed.

3 Likes

Hey Ulja,

Thanks for your input. Glad it helped for others but I do get this first long message:

352 0 0xffffff7f85501000 0x5c000 0x5c000 se.elektron.overbridge.driver (3.3.43) A3AB0479-3797-36BF-B5B6-66776A8C8CBD <59 6 5 3 1>

Do you know why that is? Any advice?

So sorry I updated to Catalina. Nothing but problems…

Thanks!
Diederik

If you get that Message, the driver is already running . never had an issue, that the driver was loaded, but device was not found