MacOS Catalina, setting up overbridge

Glad that it worked! Have fun with this awesome feature!

1 Like

…ahhhh…there is hope for catalina…that’s advanced…and damned good news…

1 Like

I had the same issue over here. Thanks so much for your instructions. Worked like a charm. Cheers!

So uh the Catalina compatibility bit is not accurate out of the box? What a shit workaround.

The thing is: Catalina shipped with a complete rework of the security system, that makes tons of trouble in software development. So as the only issue is, that you have to manually load the drive, it’s working way better than tons of other tools out there.
I am not quite sure, but I would bet, that this needs some kind of certification from Apple, that is quite expensive and is not done for beta software or something.

Regarding the fact, how much music related software is not running at all on Catalina, I think Elektron is doing a good job here. Maybe the info how to get that driver issue handled should have been communicated by them, not found out by trying of users :slight_smile:

Mate you are a legend. Worked like a charm for me. Running Catalina, Overbridge 2.0.31.1 and Digitakt 1.11. One additional step I had to do was to go to System Preferences / General, and click “Allow” for the Elektron software that was listed.

3 Likes

Hey Ulja,

Thanks for your input. Glad it helped for others but I do get this first long message:

352 0 0xffffff7f85501000 0x5c000 0x5c000 se.elektron.overbridge.driver (3.3.43) A3AB0479-3797-36BF-B5B6-66776A8C8CBD <59 6 5 3 1>

Do you know why that is? Any advice?

So sorry I updated to Catalina. Nothing but problems…

Thanks!
Diederik

If you get that Message, the driver is already running . never had an issue, that the driver was loaded, but device was not found

Hi @Uija. Trying to make this work… After running the above command, I get the following error:

/Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Any idea how it could be fixed? Thanks!

Go to the security section in your preferences. If I remember that correctly, there is a button that you need to click to allow the loading

1 Like

Late to the party here, but thanks Uija for this great workaround! Still wondering, now that we have the official version of Overbridge 2.0, has the issue been fixed in a way that I might have missed? For now, I still have to enter that sudo command you suggested each time after booting my computer.

Great that it works for you. I currently don’t own a Overbridge-Elektron-Device, so I cannot check about the latest version.

OK… well it definitely seems like not much has changed.

Just don’t mention the digitakt is oddly quieter than all the other overbridge devices…
or you will be silenced :joy:

Hi ! First of all thans a lot for your help, it helped me to identify the issue, which is the kext not loading. Catalina drives me a bit crazy :dizzy_face:

Unfortunately I have the " failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). " message .
But, in Preferences/Security, there’s nothing that I can do. The weird thing is that the extension is authentified but not loaded (“chargé” in french).

Anybody has a similar issue? It’s a bit frustrating to keep on trying (more than 8 hours spent on this issue), and I’d like to know if there’s something I can do or if I just have to wait next updates of Catalina/Overbridge.

I just installed Overbridge on my Mac running Catalina and ran into the issue mentioned above. @Uija 's fix worked fine! Thank you!

Any reason why Elektron hasn’t fixed this yet in the official release?

I have no clue about programming. What I know is, that apple did a major revamp for drivers in Catalina.

Yeah, that is unfortunate. The kind of crap Apple pulls in the name of security.

Based on your terminal hack, shouldn’t Elektron be able to figure out a way around it?

My Roland SE-02 doesn’t show up either. I hope devs don’t ignore Catalina users. I had no choice on my new laptop. :frowning:

If you are lucky, the same workaround just with different names might work for that too

It seems like the SE-02 problem was from my end. Roland has updated drivers for Catalina.