Machinedrum Market Value

I bought mine, MD UW+ mk2 with the midi box, 2 years maybe 3 years ago for $1000 US. I traded a Moog Mother 32 and gave $550 cash. That was Craigslist in the Bay Area, California, though. I think Reverb is usually overpriced so I like to stick with Craigslist when I can. There’s one up for sale on ebay rn for $1200 US. Check it out

Decent priced MK2 here. Non + drive though

1 Like

Good link, for $1275… if I were in the market, I’d grab it and see how getting by without the +Drive goes.

If you find it lacking, have Elektron add the +Drive for a fee.
Might as well get the ball rolling now and get making music.

(personally, I find the small UW ram on the MD so limiting that it made me very selective about which samples to have on the machine, and as such did not swap them often, so +Drive seemed more helpful for running multiple snapshots aka projects. I never got to a second snapshot when using the MD though, so YMMV.)

Supply & Demand means these things probably won’t drop in value much, so might as well just grab it. A unit with the TM-1 is crucial too, as transfers without it will have you making a second pot of coffee while you wait.

1 Like

well it looks like the 15% off on that just expired
now up to $1500 again… man…

edit: still listed on eBay though: $1175

1 Like

I paid $1000 cad (About $700 usd now) for a MDUW+mkii three years ago with Turbo midi plus protective lid. $1700 usd is approaching ridiculous. I think the undervalued Elektrons are the A4mkI and Rytm mkI. re: price stability. Wait 3-4 weeks from now when more and more people are relying on a fraction of their previous income to make ends meet.

1 Like

I was offered 1900 euros for a mint one from 2016 but i couldn’t part with it.

Look at this beauty! Money is money but MD is irreplaceable!

4 Likes

Sold my MD mkII UW+ for 650€ last fall and my MnM mkII for the same price. Both mint & boxed. Still made a small profit from both of them. I always try to find a price that makes both participants happy. I’m not in the business of making huge profits from hard to find vintage gear.

9 Likes

they were $1499 NEW (I paid $1400 to proaudiostar in 2015, where I was a regular customer) when they were being produced.

I honestly don’t think $1600-$1700 is too crazy.
Without new supply, market forces are at play. If you want it, you’ll pay it.
If you don’t, you won’t.
Waiting a month or two might be smart right now though, if you can afford to not make music with it for that period of time.

1 Like

what about an OCTA MK2+MCycles? don’t know the US elektron pricetags but 1700 USD should be close to get the both new or almost

1 Like

Personally I would not pay $1700 for an MDUW+. I just bought a Mk2 version on eBay, no box, no power supply, but it did come with the upgraded encoders, for about $1,090 including tax and shipping, which I think is a pretty good deal.

I’d have probably gone up to about $1200, but that’s about it.

It’s an amazing machine, I’ve been wanting one since the early '00 and am so glad I picked it up. I really enjoy using it and sounds pretty much how I thought it would, but it is clearly not a new drum machine, and some of the features (or lack thereof) remind you of that. If I had paid close to $2k, I think I’d be pissed.

@zepafra suggested an Octatrack and Model:Cycles, I think that would be a pretty serious combination to be honest, close enough in sound and character, with enough extra that it would be worth a consideration if you’re going to spend a ton of money.

4 Likes

The main thing that would annoy me, that is hard to really point out on any posting is the lack of ability to save and recall individual sounds.

All the bells and whistles of modern elektrons I could understandably forgo, but the lack of individual sounds is what makes its workflow unwieldy

1 Like

Strangely, I got used to that. My approach is to always try to arrange sound placement among the tracks so, say, first four (and maybe second four too, mostly) are like described on buttons, 3rd four is more melodic stuff, and last four are either MIDI+CTRL or RAM machines. This way it’s easier to find&copy them from pattern to pattern.
Oh, and I do tend leave one track unpopulated - makes way to add one more PLAY or CTRL machine in a pinch, and makes moving tracks back&forth possible.

Paid around $950 for MKII UW+ with TM-1 in a box, and would I sell it? No, not willingly.

1 Like

You’re talking being forced to load an entire set of sounds per snapshot on the MD vs just being able to load a single sample on modern boxes?

1 Like

I’d say exploring the vast number of sounds it can produce has been a challenge, and I kind of have to force myself to create certain types of sounds and then fill out a drum kit to really get going, as I wasn’t too crazy about the stock kits and deleted them all after backing up.

The thing I miss the most that I use all the time on the OT is individual track lengths and time signatures, and conditional trigs.

I know about MegaCommand, and may splurge on that once I have gainful employment again, but I’m making do by sequencing certain hits with the OT. Still, having them available would be a game changer as far as I’m concerned, as those are features I use all the time.

3 Likes

In france they continuously are available around 900 e for mk2 uw+ and around 600 for mk2. I had one of the last batch i sold i regret now.

1 Like

Guy’s I need help :crazy_face:

I bought a MkII none UW version last November but really wanted a UW, long story…

There is a MkII UW+ for sale for 1000€ and I can spare the money, should I go for it and sell the none UW later ?

I just can’t make up my mind on this, I kind of feel like I’m throwing money away already having a MD…

1 Like

Anecdotally on here it seems quite a few people aren’t thinking about buying as much new gear at the moment, understandably. So it might be a while before you sell the non UW+ MD. If you don’t mind that, or dropping the price quite low, €1000 generally seems like a good price for the UW+. Unless apparently you’re in France - Which has been mentioned more than once on here as being the home of cheaper MDs, for some reason. Berlin also seems cheaper than average from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

Spain actually, the one I got came from France for 650€ and the one I was suppose to get was from Berlin for 1500€… That guy changed his mind and refunded me…

Yeah screw it, I’ll pass on the UW for now. Most of my gear is boxed up in storage and buyin another piece now would be pretty stupid… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Hmm you have a strong point there, I’m gonna talk to my other half :smiley:

Edit: I have the best wife, she said “whatever you want” now I’m having a really hard time passing on this… 1st world problems :crazy_face:

2 Likes