Machinedrum frenzy

I recently sold my MD MkII UW+ for £950.00 to fund my newly acquired Rytm… and admittedly miss having the little silver box sitting on my desk - even though it was not really getting used - great to jam but a little obsolete for my production needs perhaps.

Have to say though - I find it retarded that guys rush to buy gear from owners that are commanding silly premiums now that they are discontinued… I have no doubt they will probably come cheaper in the next few wks/months once the frenzy is over…

The latest iterations of MD and MnM’s (UW and +Drives etc) were going for £700-£850 tops - even had one user tell me he’s received a £1200 offer from someone this morning…

I find this retarded… partly because I sort of miss mine, and is currently too costly to replace… hoping that once the frenzy settles perhaps people will come to their senses again.

1 Like

My thought :
I really understand what you mean, it’s like few years ago the rush on old analog synth. But these products are no longer produce so it gives them the character of rare, and the passing years won’t arrange the situation. the future will find the nowadays products a bit obsolete too. So the real question is : do these gears have this value you find too expensive ? The answer is surly they have the value people want to put in.

A synth, even obsolete does well what it does well. So if you want them, the market will impose the right price. I won’t sell my MD cause it’s unique and no constructor will produce it no more. Like my old MS 20 or like my 999 Jomox I sold few weeks ago. So I don’t think that obsolescence is sufficient to justify low prices. For example the TB 303 is really obsolete, but it’s sound is unique. Roland produce the TB03, cheaper, but it doesn’t have the hot original sound. So if you want real sound you have to buy the old one, cause new one is just “fashion erzats”.

Hope for you that your prospective will occurs so you will be hable to get a MD back on your table, but if you miss it, maybe it’s because this gear has a great value. And then we’re back to the original question. Does it have this expensive value ?

MD is so the x0x of the years to come.

Well, unless Elektron put on the table the next generation beat machine.
Can’t wait to see this actually :tongue:

Can’t wait for the next all digital x0x machinedrum with overbridge… drooling…

The thing is even as a lo-if drum sampler I can put it against my SP-1200, MPC60, Studio440, Ensoniq EPS. For something as compact that you can midi up with an MPD to get velocity it really is a slept on lo fi sampler. It’s really like an MPC60 and Ensoniq EPS had a child with this machine. That alone is worth it. Oh wait it’s a drum synth too. But yea the frenzy will die and stock up when you can.

1 Like

Huh, I didn’t know the frenzy had begun just yet… I bought my MDUW+ a few weeks ago for $1200AU (and a friend of mine bought a MnM from the same guy for $700) and thought it was a good deal, considering they got up to $2200AU or something before elektron cut the prices.

3 Likes

So I recently purchased a second hand sps-1 mkI, that was falsely labelled as a mkII. I ended up getting a partial refund, so ultimately I spent $450 on it, which i think is a pretty okay deal for what it really is. But I really want those 64 step patterns… 32 steps is just awkward. It’s true I can chain patterns etc to work around it but still.

Anyway, my question is… if I really wanted a mkII, should I try to flip this mki and hunt down a mkii now? Currently i only see 2 mkii’s for sale for 750 or 850 respectively. Is there any reliable way to guess where the price will go in the next few months/years?

Sorry I know how annoying these kinds of posts can be but i’m hoping someone here could give me some insight. I’d feel really salty if i keep this thing then in 6 months i’m seeing sps1 mkii uw’s around for $700

I do really love this machine tho. If i have to keep the one i have it wouldnt be the worst thing

Thanks elektronauts :sparkling_heart::two_hearts:

you know you can chain patterns? hence you would get 32 x 16 x 8. ( patterns a01-h16 )

lets see if u gel with the mk1 model, then you can think of whatever you could get later… just get into it firstly.

eventually you could get really crazy and do 2 MDs. yeah, seriously.

I would not rush things. the mk1 is fine for a beginner for the moment. if its just the steps then chain them.

cheers buddy

ctrl fun to you!

4 Likes