Machinedrum encoder question

I’ve picked up a Machinedrum mk2 a few weeks ago and have a question about the encoders.

Compared to my OT Mk2, and other Digi boxes, I feel the encoders need maybe 8 or 9 times as many turns to access all the values on a parameter.

They dont seem to have the “accelerating behaviour in them” that the newer boxes have.

Is this normal behaviour?
Or can I fix this by having the encoders replaced?

I’m assuming its normal behavior because when I click and turn, they move how I’d expect them to move and closer match how the OT mk2 moves by default.

I’d be keen to get the encoders replaced for a smoother experience anyway, but if it also fixed this issue, I’d be fully sold on the idea.

1 Like

Look in the global settings, there’s an option to change the encoders between ‘mk1’ or ‘mk2’ behaviour, maybe that’s set wrong.

i actually found another thread answering a similar question.

I found I can increase encoder resolution from 24 to 32 on the mech settings page in the global settings.

It’s a little better, but not the best.

Will replacing the encoders with new ones give me OT mk2 / Digis encoder behaviour?

1 Like

No. You can only replace them with the same kind. The behaviour is part of the firmware.

The newer boxes have different type of controls (360˚ potentiometers if I recall rightly).

That’s how all the older boxes behave BTW. Click and turn to go faster is your only option.

2 Likes

Fair enough.
Good to know. Thanks for the advice.

If you post a video we might be able to help more, it sounds like they could be dirty if they take that many turns to change values

to me as well, machinedrum is only fun to use when i always press the encoders in. but that worries me a lot. seeing the vid below makes me even more wish for the option to have either switch the behaviour or have it always behave like they are pressed in (fast). would also reduce how much turns and mechanical stress we afflict to them. Current sounds coming from your gear (Part 1) - #7359 by waftlord

1 Like

i appreciate that’s a tragic and scary vid. trust me, i was there.

but do bare in mind those encoders were probably around 15 years old at the time of the snap, and i’m a particularly brutal user of the push and twist feature…

I’m not sure of the expected use time and guaranteed number of presses/turns those components came with (i’d like to know!).

but it’s finite, and after 10+ years of constant use most certainly sensitivity or accuracy will deteriorate before a breakage anyway. a couple of mine were already on the way out.

So an encoder swap on 99% of elektron devices is inevitable after many years of parameter changes… and after this we’re (hopefully) clear for another decade at least.

3 Likes

I am too … but I don‘t want to :grin:🫠 it feels awful on the Rytm too for that and other reasons (since after the update, we need to press one of them in all the time too for chains/slices), there too it would be a relief to inverse the behaviour @.@

New Elektron devices pots have metal shafts, you can push them all you want, they wont come off like that!

I had some plastic shafts break too. Particularly when trying to remove the hard plastic mk1 knobs. If memory serves me the expected service life of the original Bourns encoders is 100,000 turns, which isn’t that high. They have metal contacts inside which get grooves worn into them from the metal wipers, and are prone to oxidise as well, causing errors. The wipers can also lose their spring pressure and stop making good contact. As for the push button, that’s just a simple bit of shaped metal with a pretty low chance of damage as it has limited travel within the encoder, so push away. I’d say they are worth replacing after 20 years if you’re up to the job but a spray of DeOxit D5 also keeps them going, if loosening up the feel somewhat. A new set of encoders does feel pretty lush.

I’ll post pics of some destroyed encoders if I can remember where I put them. Have a whole bag full from doing my mk1 MD & MM.

2 Likes

I wonder if the guys who do the continued firmware for the machinedrum can make the push / turn behaviour the default somehow?

Ive not installed the new firmware yet, I guess I should.

1 Like

Yes, you should. :smiley:

You might be able to invert the way the encoder buttons register with a little soldering… but yeah a software solution would certainly be nicer. Probably would be best to double check that booting the device with encoders pressed doesn’t cause issues.

1 Like