Macbook Pro 16 quality/reliability?

Hi all,
I’m planning to invest in the base model Macbook Pro 16 and was wondering how people who own it and use it feel about it? I was so fed up with the 2016 Macbook Pro 13 keyboard issues, etc. that I reverted back to using a much older machine for a few years. But I’m hoping this new configuration will be better, even though I’ve read a few things about random shutdowns and startups, screen ghosting, speaker popping, overheating, and lots of fan noise. Is it really that bad or do you feel that these complaints are exaggerated? And how is Catalina doing with the new Overbridge suite and Elektron machines? Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated, as I’m hoping to pull the trigger on this machine in a couple of days, if possible. Thank you!

well, I see that you already described it in bold font…
All my friends who were using those already sold them (sometimes with profit - advertising does wonders eh?)

Yes the fans are louder but the CPUs (And especially GPUs) generate more heat and CPUs are no longer throttled, so yea that means more fan activity.

If you want a quiet, fast computer, and iMac is more ideal.

I don’t experience the other issues you mentioned. The ghosting thing is overblown and exists on all retina displays.

Can just say that I’ve had quite a few different Macbooks, a Pro and an Imac and this Macbook Pro 16" 2019 is the best one by miles. I’m having the 2,6 Ghz i7 with upgraded ram and graphics card so cannot speak for the base config but have no reason doubting it.

3 Likes

So far very happy with mine. Was a replacement from Apple for a 2017 after 3 repairs, which was the only Mac I’ve been disappointed with. No problems at all, performance is amazing and build quality seems much better.

2 Likes

thank you, great to hear!

1 Like

did they have all the above-mentioned problems, or were some more severe than others?

AFAIK screen ghosting was observed only by one friend of mine, but wasn’t a deal-breaker for him. Random shutdowns (and occasional hangs) were. But I have no personal experience of said ghosting.

edit: oh and the RAM was added in his one (this I know); perhaps CPU was “non-base” too"?.. He didn’t played any games, though.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings. My last Macbook is from 2014 and I sometimes think it felt smoother.

So I investigated and looks like I am
not the only one.

It seems to be that the iGPU (Intel 630)
is not well made. It feels laggy when using it. Mousearrow jumping (tiny jumps), general UI lags here and there …beachballing.

Can be fixed by disabling automatic GPU switching. This will make the fans start being noticeable. Otherwise it is silent for me. So that‘s a con.

Some say the silver model has less problems as well as the base model (without any modifications i.e. ram upgrades or the like).

Ghosting I have not experienced …but yeah my ipad feels more snappy when browsing/scrolling but it‘s not that I found it as irritiating.

If you want to use it to do audio productions make sure to have another 150-400€ ready for a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

So all in all … it could be better for the price I paid.

1 Like

Not very glowing reviews. Quite unfortunate, as I was looking forward to the larger screen, among other things. The only other option for me right now would be to switch to windows, which I have been considering but can’t bring myself to do. A tough one…thank you for the input.

I still use a 15" mid-2012 MacBook Pro. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Same here: reliable and still fast enough (maxed out and ssd)

3 Likes

I use Apple for 20 years.
Got stuck in the keyboard of the mbp’s last 3 years. Went for lenovo laptop (fantastic keyboard) and iMac

Now i just have this mbp16’
It is very Nice
But makes a lot of vantilation-sound. Very disappointing in 2020. But also very good to have OS X in my laptop again.

totally understandable.

If you do not need Overbridge or some specific Winblows software - try switching to UNIX/Linux. Can’t vouch for the latter, but former just works and works for years, runs most Linux programs seamlessly if need be, and runs most Windows programs too (via WINE).

But I have no experience (yet) using VSTs in UNIX/Linux. Had no real need… “Domestic” options did what was asked from 'em, that’s why…

My last Macbook Pro was a 2012 32bit Intel core 2 Duo. Keep meening to put an ssd in it, built like tank.

My elderly father used Macbooks exclusively since 2006. He uses a Thinkpad now with Win10 and couldn’t be happier. His last two Macbooks Pros failed after 3 years each with major mobo faults, (one died exactly the day after Jobs past away…no joke)

I currently use a HP zbook u14 g6 workststion outside studio and it is a really good portable. There are great PC options out there.

If you don’t need logic or other apple exclusive options a PC laptop can be suprisingly good and as far as OS is concerned windows has come a very long way.(I started on Apple years ago but left them)

Anyway, hope you make a decision that works out for you. The mbpro 16 looks great on paper, i personally don’t trust them anymore.

Excellent so far.

2 Likes

I had a 2013 MBP, which was great, but started feeling long in the tooth. Then I had two of those tiny 12" Macbooks, which I liked a lot for what they did, but that damn keyboard issue: multiple trips to the shop. I replaced them with a new 16: maxed out MBP, and I liked it so much, I bought a second one. I now use them side-by-side for overkill, yet convenience. I don’t use Overbrdge. I’m really happy with the rest of the performance, though VLC is is now unstable. Other than that, I don’t experience any problems, and that outrageous keyboard problem is fixed.

it’s not bad though… all in all I love the Apple ecosystem with Airdrop, Continuity, iCloud - there is nothing like it. But this is like in a RPG - you gotta complete the set to get full set bonus. So since I got the iPhone, iPad and TV …it’s such a tight integration between them. Miles ahead of Windows. And since Microsoft ditched the mobile business and have Android/Google as competitor … they won’t even come close in the next 10 years - my guess. So if you got the money… and another Apple device from this generation…

And for the iGPU thing - I bet there will be a fix some day. It has to be a driver thing. And right now it is even silent with the AMD dGPU and without any glitches so far (I turned GPU switching off 2 days ago).

VLC was always unstable for me on macOS. I use IINA https://iina.io since I got this 16". It is a nice player. I like it a lot better than VLC. Might not have all the features …but it’s enough for me. Check it out!

2 Likes

I’ve been using VLC for years without trouble before this forced update to Catalina. It now looks like it’s worth trying something new, thanks. VLC has crashed my new Macs a few times, and crashing is very rare these days.