Macbook Pro 16 quality/reliability?

I have one of the current models. Quiet as a mouse when web-browsing etc. Haven’t yet hit it heavily with audio processing. I did throw some A/V transcoding at it though. Fans certainly kicked in, but they’re not outrageously loud.

1 Like

This is very heartening to hear! Glad the MBP has worked out for you. I am encouraged to take the plunge, despite the many flaws that have been mentioned on this thread and in other places.

I use a 2019 MBP16", i9 2,4GHz, 32GB RAM and it’s the best machine I’ve ever had under my hands. The screen is gorgeous. it’s super fast and the new keyboard is pure bliss.

2 Likes

My trust in Apple has been shaken as well, which is why I wanted to check with people before going ahead with the purchase. Among Windows computers, I am most tempted by the Thinkpad. They seem like great computers.

I wish I had one of those 2015 15" machines. I’d buy it today if it were available. I had a 2017 13" MBP and got rid of it for a much older model. My computers for the last few years have been super outdated as a result–which for the most part is ok for me as a musician because I’ve been working with hardware synths and Zoom recorders. But it will be nice to get back into Ableton with OB on a newer machine that can handle it properly.

btw, does OB work properly on Catalina? I’m on High Sierra and it works great for me, but I haven’t been following developments on the OB front otherwise…

Latest public beta works well for me with Catalina.

1 Like

The new keyboard takes a bit of getting used to, but I think I’ll get there with it. Very low profile, compared with what I’m used to.

On the subject of Thinkpads though - I use one for my day-job (T460s). I’ve got a few bright spots on the display, which are annoying. Otherwise, it’s generally been a good machine.

Just wanted to say that I have the latest base model MacBook Pro 16 and it’s been running like a dream, especially whilst processing some pretty track heavy projects in Ableton/Logic. Any fan noise has been at an acceptable volume for me. I haven’t had great experiences with the new operating system and Overbridge. Hoping that the next Overbridge update will be an improvement :crossed_fingers:

As I had feared, the machine is a disaster. Shuts down and restarts at night in sleep mode. Definitely returning, but not sure whether to get a replacement or just drop the whole idea…

Error report:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801fc91b2c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

1 Like

Any idea what this could mean?

Googling says reset your NVRAM/SMC

Edit: looks like an OS issue…

1 Like

Thank you. Could very well be a software issue. But it is not necessarily a new problem, as people have mentioned it before. Some people on forums seem to think it is T2 related, a graphics card issue, or related to third party peripherals…Pretty confusing and disappointing. What a waste of a weekend installing programs, migrating files but glad I caught it early. Thank you all for your help, everyone! Now, I shall watch some tutorials about the wild and wonderful world of windows and seriously consider switching, or living with my mbp 13 from 2015, which still works quite well.

1 Like

Why not try 10.15.3?

I have one of these base model 16" MBPs. So far it’s been a great (overall) upgrade from my ageing 2015 13". Not without any faults however, and it seems to be stemming from the T2 chip and Catalina in particular.

Pros: Productivity and performance - it’s a great upgrade. I’m a hobby musician, mostly working with Eurorack modular gear (no Elektron devices, yet) and I’ve hardly been able to put a dent on the CPU when using Logic (my preferred DAW) or Ableton. Apart from that, I also use Unity, some amount of creative coding, a bunch of Adobe apps and Resolve - and I’ve been able to do things that were impossible or a boat load of frustration on my older machine.

Cons: I don’t think Catalina is fully stable, as of yet. I ran into this weird issue when doing Time Machine backups - after a restart, Finder would be unresponsive for 20+ mins (relaunching wouldn’t help, just letting it be would eventually bring things back to normal). Running Disk Utility from both the main system and from the recovery partition pointed me to multiple corrupted Time Machine snapshots (I mean, what even?!). This seems to have been fixed since the last OS update but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed, this is an absolute nightmare when it happens and it has happened multiple times over the last few months and always after a longish Time Machine backup when I’ve missed doing it for a a few days in a row.

And… then there’s this weird one that happened once. I have no answers to this though Apple forums seem to point towards the T2 chip having caused this.

Still, overall, I’m happy with the device as the hardware performance has exceeded all my expectations. I’m hoping that the software issues are ironed out over time, and that’s all.

cross post regarding taking control of i9 fan noise: