M8 Tracker

A MKII/USBC version would not feature USB hosting. So audio to another device would not happen. But even if it did it would still be worse than using the analog output due to latency. USB is not better than good ole analog when it comes to simple audio just working like we expect it to.

When there will be a MKII it will be more about the hardware than any changes that would make features incompatible with the current hardware. There have not been significant improvements in chips to warrant more power under the hood without switching to a raspberry pi or some linux in a box solution which has itā€™s own set of drawbacks. Furthermore the sample without playing samples limitation (because it is not using large external RAM) also makes features like never have to wait for the loading of a song or sample possible, which is part of the joy.

31 Likes

We can bypass this easily. Just set a metronome track using a synth click and you can play some chords as well so youā€™re in the zone while sampling your guitar. Works for me.

Would you consider a larger battery in a potential MkII/USB-C version or is that off the table?

Same here. Just connect a USB cable to a phone and start sampling any audio coming out of the phone. At least on my phone (currently using an Android) that was the experience. I didnā€™t even need to change a single setting. Seamless.

Hi!

Hereā€™s a new track made with the M8, a Telecaster and an acoustic guitar through the Specular Tempus reverb (what a pedal!).
Itā€™s called ā€œCatastrophe!ā€.

Visuals by Patrick Axel Fagnon and Micah Buzan.

I hope youā€™ll like it!

13 Likes

Iā€™m using the Op-1F and M8 together,
Connected with the M8 USB cable and a simple USB-c to usb-a adapter.

Iā€™m getting audio from the M8 to the OP-1F no problem, but sending midi (over usb) from the Field to the M8 isnā€™t working.

Iā€™ve enabled midi input in the settings, set the M8 to the same channel, and even routed that channel to a specific instrument # in the M8.

This works midi-wise if I am using a Bluetooth midi dongle adapter in the M8 and sending midi from the field via Bluetooth, but it doesnā€™t work hardwired over usb. Any ideas why?

One cable connection between the two,
MIDI Field->M8
And audio M8->Field would be ideal

First tune completed on this little guy. I love this thing!!!

Forgive me if the EQing is off. All mixing was done on headphones. Iā€™ll check on monitors sometime soon :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I remember having trouble sending Clock from the OP1f. Clock from M8 worked though.
But I donā€™t remember having trouble sending MIDI Outā€¦ like using the OP1 as a midi keyboard.

Try setting the OUT channel to 9. and go to Phrase screen on the M8.

I might be wrong, because I rotate a lot of gear and my brain is mixing features & bugs.

I donā€™t know the OP1, so maybe this is a dumb question: does the OP1 use MIDI TRS? And if so, are you using TRS cable or an adapter? Just wondering if itā€™s a spec mismatch ā€“ if memory serves, the M8 is Type A

Usb C

Sounds excellent on MacBook speakers at any rate.

1 Like

Same result for me with my M8 and OP1F. Not sure what side is the culprit but itā€™s been an issue identified and duplicated by a handful of folks here.

1 Like

Iā€™ve sent logs to TE but it kinda died. They replied a couple of times and then said theyā€™ll investigate

1 Like

Thanks @alexbuga and @J0n35y

Iā€™ll keep trying some different things, but at a certain point you just wanna move forward and not be fiddling with midi settings all day :smiley:

Iā€™ll just keep using the midi Bluetooth dongle, I had that working with no issue, I just wanted a cleaner setup.

I did notice that when the M8 is connected to the OP-1F the connection settings page on the field looks sparse, almost like the OP-1 is only reading it as a data device or something. Iā€™ll try to compare this with a direct connection to the OP-Z to see if the page looks different.
I wonder if that could be the issue, and Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s related to USB charging, since I noticed the field is charging the M8 when connected

And then VAT on top ? or did that include the VAT ?

EDIT: Or anyone else welcome to update me on what extras to expect in the UK (beyond purchase price and shipping).

That is the VAT isnā€™t it?

It does look big enough to be the VAT ā€¦ I guess @sweetgreenrunnerbean must have meant customs and VAT combined ?

I think they are the same thing these days (so far as imports are concerned).

Yes thatā€™s both, just came through as one combined payment if I remember rightly.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely the OP1s fault. I just connected the M8 to the Maschine + and they sync beautifully.