M8 Tracker

Another way to look at the “programmy” aspect is that the M8 or I guess trackers in general create a unique compositional system with constraints that seem very limiting, like tracks that can only play one note at a time, and then rules (FX) and tables and instruments that make the possibilities very deep. I’m a music theory dilettante, but it feels like a compositional technique like 12-tone or something John Cage or Harry Partch could have come up with.
Having said that, for me learning the M8 definitely brought back memories of learning unix and shell scripting.

3 Likes

Come on, apart from the hexadecimal that is very nerdy, this has nothing to do with defining functions or scripting in Perl!
A friend of mine is using Chuck and this is another story.
But trackers are only a way of positioning events in a timeline.
It feels like programming in opposition to playing because every event occurring was positioned in advance.
But it has very little to nothing to do with code, imho.

4 Likes

The way they are put together is different but FX commands make their own little programming language.

As for the Unix comparison I meant that the learning process moves from “this is indecipherable” to “this is fun”. But I am so very sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

4 Likes

Hey, no harm done at all, sorry if I came across as reacting a bit too much :sweat_smile:
I get your points, though.

1 Like

Before I ordered my M8, all the talk about hexadecimal numbers made me a little concerned.

Notes themselves though are not represented as hexadecimal numbers. Once I realized that, I felt more confident.

2 Likes

I have formed an obsessive need to own M8.

9 Likes

Its truly worth it. One of the few pieces of newer hardware I will say that about. I have had mine for over a year now.

5 Likes

It looks like they’re still taking preorders for the July batch!

2 Likes

as you should ! its a great little device really . probably my favorite box i have as far as actual composing goes

1 Like

Agreed with everyone here. M8 is such an amazing device

3 Likes

It’s subtle but I def think I’d have been using that when I had a M8.

My eye sight is mostly fine but I think that’s an improvement.

This plus the new synth engine and random fills is generating GAS!

I know. I try to find 2nd hand first.

It would most probably not be cheaper (if that were your hope)

3 Likes

I know. But I mostly prefer used gear. Second, I live in Europe. So, in addition to the price, there are taxes and shipping costs. Thirdly, I hope to get it sooner than the end of summer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m patiently waiting for July, but curiosity is starting to get me! I think I’m finally going to try this M8 headless thing. Just ordered a Teensy and I’m just going to get it going with a computer, not going to try any mobile devices, at least not yet.

The docs (https://github.com/Dirtywave/M8Docs/blob/main/docs/M8HeadlessSetup.md) look nice and clear.

This seems like a nice way to get to know the system before it arrives. I’ve used a lot of trackers, but never this or LSDJ, so I’m sure it’s going to be different!

1 Like

True, but the stepped nature of it, as much as it allows to edit tiny details, makes it hard to create smooth and slewed automations, isn’t it ?

My friend’s

12 Likes

Not necessarily! If you want a precise, stepped change, you can use the command itself (e.g. CUT10 will increase cutoff by 16), or you can use a REP command; for example, CUT00 followed by REP10 will increase cutoff by 16 each step until you stop it, but will interpolate between steps.

And that’s not mentioning tables, which run alongside the main sequence and can run at a faster speed. But that’s an entire rabbit hole :metal:

5 Likes

That looks fun! Did you have the headphone jack issue someone else reported earlier in the thread? I think it was also one of those 351 devices. I’m wondering how common the problem is.

And which firmware do you run on the Anbernic? I was reading that ArkOS and AmberELEC both work for M8 headless – is it one of those?

1 Like

Just chiming in as someone who uses the same device, no issues with the headphone jack and running amberelec. ArkOS is possible but takes a bit more setting up.

Also I hope the new big font update makes it to headless!

4 Likes