M:S Wizards & Pros - I’m looking for your advice

Love this about Live… there’s always another way

Just when I was considering what to do for batch processing, this pops up. It could be temporarily messy but not a big deal. I think I have only hour to put this together so I’m scratching recording new and diving into the modular testing sounds. Some quick edits, the method below for exporting and then transfer to M:S.

1 Like

Have you tried loading up wavetables?

Short length, LFO on start.

I’m good on using single cycles.

I was more thinking of approach to adding recorded content, even if someone is using loops, like what are they looking to add that gives a wide range of options.

I think you’ve lost me here.

Are you asking for a source of samples/loops?

Are you asking what melodic content to sample? How to sample a lot of variety, quickly?

You asked about an approach to adding samples to the M/S, but I’m not entirely sure what would be a successful answer for you?

When I had one, I used it to make hip-hop stuff. What I found was that it was easier to chop up samples by parameter locking the start point in the sequencer than using a bunch of little pieces. And that’s because I found the sample lock folder to be really really annoying.

So my main piece of advice would be to try to use as few samples as possible. For example, instead of having 8 drum sounds in a folder, you can set up a sample chain and access each sound by moving the sample start point. This would also make scrolling through kits a little easier.

The Model: Samples also has a few things that the Digitakt doesn’t. One of them is velocity modulation. So my advice would be to have fun playing around with that. It can sort of make up for only having the one LFO.

2 Likes

Reading the sample chain part seem like an obvious choice, but its also obvious I didn’t think of that, so thank you!!

Not a source, but my plan was to sample my modular and other synths to play around with on M:S

The problem is that approaching something wide open and without a little bit of intent can often be a waste of time, especially if I end up trouble shooting some part of the process.

I figured it made sense asking here because M:S is one of those devices that’s very capable, but has its limitations. The people most familiar with M:S (and it’s limits) I assume might have a polished workflow to take from a computer and work later on M:S.

And maybe they have a workflow that they don’t want share (and I respect that too).

I can’t say I had a particular workflow with mine?

Sample some one shots, stick em in a folder. Grab a bunch of Cs in various instruments, stick em in a folder.

I dumped the “6 samples in a folder” in favour of “all of a type” in a folder. That way I could easily sound lock by just picking a step and changing the sample by scrolling up and down.

1 Like

I remember Loopop’s review of the M:S when, at release, there wasn’t sample locks yet and he talked about using the LFO on a sample chain that has multiple of 12 ( LFO going up to 120) to ease the choice of starting points.

Tried (vaguely) to find more info on that but, either my lack of audio knowledge (or basic dumbness) led to half succesful attempts.

1 Like

Since I love using synth pad/chord sounds in my music I’ve made folders where I create a sustained synth pad sound with unaffected recordings of different sustained chords (majors, minors, 7th, ect ect). Then using the M:S you can affect their length and use the LFO EG with filter and add reverb and delay and anything else you please.

2 Likes

also try taking your sample chains and pitching them up to blips in something like audacity before transferring them to the ms to get more sample storage, and see if you like it…

2 Likes

Another crazy thing I did once was create samples where it was an 808 drum sound followed by the equivalent 909 drum sound, but reversed. So the 808 kick followed by reversed 909 kick, 808 snare with reversed 909 snare, etc.

This way you can instantly change from one sound to another with the press of the reverse button. You just need to make sure you’re always at 50% sample length.

Using Control All you can swap the entire kit instantly as well.

12 Likes

This is kind of brilliant. So simple. Never would have thought of it.

4 Likes

Like @Doug said… Brilliant!

I won’t be able to prep for that this time, but I’m definitely going play around with that later.

Is the Reverse button only a performance tool or can it be locked?

Pretty sure you can parameter lock it

1 Like

EkPNEU2WAAAvF6z-384

4 Likes

Confirmed. [LOOP], [REVERSE], and items on the LFO menu are amongst the slightly more obscure things you can lock.

3 Likes

I like that. I’ve got to try it out :smiley:

Love using REVERSE as a trigless p-lock on a looping sample, so after it plays it reverses and decays out like a DIY reverse delay

4 Likes

EDIT: Changed my mind and started a new thread