"Back to back" samples

I was introduced to this idea by @Phurniture :

I’ve tried this and got usable results, but I’ve found the 50% length thing doesn’t work as you might expect, at least not for hot-swapping the two sounds with only the ‘reverse’ button. (This is on firmware 1.1.3).

The way M:S combines start/end and reverse is to select start and end point first, then reverse. So if you set length to 50% then simply hit reverse, you get the same sample (first half) reversed. To hear the second half reversed you also need to select start: 60 and end: 120, so it’s really only p-lockable, you won’t be able to do it live.

To hot-swap two samples using only the ‘reverse’ button, you either have to

• choose samples that are long, and hope trigs are close enough together so the second half never gets heard, or
  • thoroughly prepare your track for reversing by following every note trig with a trigless trig that shortens the decay, so you never hear the second half. The duration before the new decay sets in can be fine tuned by nudging the trigless trig.

EDIT: Technique also referenced in the Digitakt category ( DigiChain thread ) but may be more appropriate here in M:S land:

2 Likes

Instead of setting the Sample Length to 50% (keep it at max), set the Decay to 50%. See if that works better.

2 Likes