M:S Wizards & Pros - I’m looking for your advice

Short version: How do you approach adding samples to M:S for fleshing out a complete track in just M:S?

Longer version: I’m okay rolling my own samples, but I have a very small window of time to make something, so I’m hoping for some expert advice how others approach curating samples for a broad selection of melodic inspiration in addition to the percussive stuff.

This is a non-genre specific question.

I’m taking M:S on a trip. I mostly am familiar with DT, ST and previously OP-Z was my portable device, but I sold it off.

I have many of the Elektron sample packs, but they’re all divided into 6 sounds (and yes I understand the quick folder load). No surprise, they’re mostly drum focused.

For melodic stuff, I’ve found it useful to have a ‘preset project’ where I have a few patterns where each track is a pre-loaded SCWF (from factory samples) with envelope (or other LFO modulation), filter and decay already applied. It does mean you have to swap projects to pick each preset and copy/paste it to your working project. Primary motivation for that for me is to make the factory/waves/osc samples into something immediately useful.

Hope that helps, it’s not exactly what you asked.

1 Like

I’m quite new to the M:S, but I quickly found the 6 sound sample packs restrictive. Why would I want to navigate through 30 sample packs to find the right snare sound? So I spent a little time making my own library, with larger folders dedicated to kicks, snares etc and also synth sounds. There’s another post on this forum - sorry, but I don’t have time to check it out at the moment - that gives a link to a bank of short synth samples that you can then loop and use as melodic material, and I found most of those to be useful. Add them to the factory synth sounds, and you have the raw materials you need. I guess it all depends on your personal way of working but - now that I’ve properly personalised the sample library - I’ve found this way to be much quicker and more rewarding.

1 Like

No worries, that makes sense. I probably won’t have time to create template projects but maybe I can build something on the trip!

Same feeling here are bout the 6 samples per folder.

As much as I understand the convenience of quickly loading all 6 samples in one button press, it feel like its a waste, especially considering it can have more samples per project on M:S than with DT.

I remember seeing a post for the single cycles. I’ll add it because it should barely take up any space.

For now, I’m going to see about quickly sampling random sounds from the modular rack, and hopefully I remember a decent workflow for batch processing, to get them all into a folder at decent lengths (not 6 per).

Same here, initially. However, I’ve recently found it to be fun to load up a whole folder (kit) I’ve never used before, and see what I can make with whatever I have loaded. But, agreed, if you have a specific sound already in mind it’s not the best folder organisation.

1 Like

Why don’t you use Waveforms? AKWF Waveform Pack is a huge pack that is in the public domain so it is free. There is so much to choose from, I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for. I use it all the time with both my M:S and my Digitakt.

You can find it here: AKWF FREE (waveform samples) : Adventure Kid
Easier, click here : Wave format (all in one)

3 Likes

I want both…

I’ve always loved manipulating recorded sounds because you can end up with endless possibilities and I like the challenge of listening to thing in a different way.

Love this about Live… there’s always another way

Just when I was considering what to do for batch processing, this pops up. It could be temporarily messy but not a big deal. I think I have only hour to put this together so I’m scratching recording new and diving into the modular testing sounds. Some quick edits, the method below for exporting and then transfer to M:S.

1 Like

Have you tried loading up wavetables?

Short length, LFO on start.

I’m good on using single cycles.

I was more thinking of approach to adding recorded content, even if someone is using loops, like what are they looking to add that gives a wide range of options.

I think you’ve lost me here.

Are you asking for a source of samples/loops?

Are you asking what melodic content to sample? How to sample a lot of variety, quickly?

You asked about an approach to adding samples to the M/S, but I’m not entirely sure what would be a successful answer for you?

When I had one, I used it to make hip-hop stuff. What I found was that it was easier to chop up samples by parameter locking the start point in the sequencer than using a bunch of little pieces. And that’s because I found the sample lock folder to be really really annoying.

So my main piece of advice would be to try to use as few samples as possible. For example, instead of having 8 drum sounds in a folder, you can set up a sample chain and access each sound by moving the sample start point. This would also make scrolling through kits a little easier.

The Model: Samples also has a few things that the Digitakt doesn’t. One of them is velocity modulation. So my advice would be to have fun playing around with that. It can sort of make up for only having the one LFO.

2 Likes

Reading the sample chain part seem like an obvious choice, but its also obvious I didn’t think of that, so thank you!!

Not a source, but my plan was to sample my modular and other synths to play around with on M:S

The problem is that approaching something wide open and without a little bit of intent can often be a waste of time, especially if I end up trouble shooting some part of the process.

I figured it made sense asking here because M:S is one of those devices that’s very capable, but has its limitations. The people most familiar with M:S (and it’s limits) I assume might have a polished workflow to take from a computer and work later on M:S.

And maybe they have a workflow that they don’t want share (and I respect that too).

I can’t say I had a particular workflow with mine?

Sample some one shots, stick em in a folder. Grab a bunch of Cs in various instruments, stick em in a folder.

I dumped the “6 samples in a folder” in favour of “all of a type” in a folder. That way I could easily sound lock by just picking a step and changing the sample by scrolling up and down.

1 Like

I remember Loopop’s review of the M:S when, at release, there wasn’t sample locks yet and he talked about using the LFO on a sample chain that has multiple of 12 ( LFO going up to 120) to ease the choice of starting points.

Tried (vaguely) to find more info on that but, either my lack of audio knowledge (or basic dumbness) led to half succesful attempts.

1 Like

Since I love using synth pad/chord sounds in my music I’ve made folders where I create a sustained synth pad sound with unaffected recordings of different sustained chords (majors, minors, 7th, ect ect). Then using the M:S you can affect their length and use the LFO EG with filter and add reverb and delay and anything else you please.

2 Likes

also try taking your sample chains and pitching them up to blips in something like audacity before transferring them to the ms to get more sample storage, and see if you like it…

2 Likes

Another crazy thing I did once was create samples where it was an 808 drum sound followed by the equivalent 909 drum sound, but reversed. So the 808 kick followed by reversed 909 kick, 808 snare with reversed 909 snare, etc.

This way you can instantly change from one sound to another with the press of the reverse button. You just need to make sure you’re always at 50% sample length.

Using Control All you can swap the entire kit instantly as well.

12 Likes