M:S + Transfer Issues

I just purchased a Model:Samples and am having issues transferring my samples via the Transfer app. I have the unit’s midi perameter’s set to “USB” and have it plugged into my MAC using the USB cord provided. Transfer does recognize the unit as a MIDI device. I’ve read some other forum threads, looked at the manual and watched what would I could find on Youtube, but have been unsuccessful finding a solution. I’ve also done a factory reset and have tried all my USB ports.

I’m hoping it is something simple/stupid that I’ve missed, but would appreciate any help!

Errors:
When I use the Drop window, I receive an error that reads “Device Failed With Operation”
When I try to create a folder in the Explore window, I receive an error that reads “Cannot Create This Directory”

Using:
Transfer Version 1.2.2.9
Model:Sample Version 1.12
MAC OSX - Sierra 10.12.6

Lets start with simple things first, then. When you open the program, open the “connection” tab. then open the two drop down menus in turn, what options are you presented with?

Hi - Elektron Model:Sample is selected in both the MIDI in and out fields.

Any weird naming conventions (such as the use of symbols, slashes or .xxx) in either the folders or sample names that might be causing an error?

1 Like

Not on the one I’m trying to create or drag and drop. This said I see on the M:S itself, there are 2 folders with underscores in the folder name. “Atmospheric_Tones” and “Phantasy_Pads”. I’m simply trying to create a new folder that is called “TEST”.

Good idea. I don’t think underscores cause a problem, but it was just a thought because of the error message. If no one has the answer here after a few hours, create a support ticket on Elektron.se and they’ll get you up and running :slight_smile:

(Also, welcome to the forum!)

I see from your screenshot that the sample Bowing Organ failed. What happens if you remove that one? Remove the spaces in the file name maybe?

Appreciate the response Craig. I’ve deleted my failed uploads a few times and have tried all different variations to get this to work. Nothing seems to be working for me. I’ll take your suggestion not the ticket submission.

1 Like

No worries. Did you see my above suggestion of removing the spaces on your computer first? So change it to BowingOrgan.wav, for example?

I just tried that and got the same error message.

Just another thought: may there is simply no space left on the device?

BTW: the space required for a bunch of samples on the +drive can differ from the space these samples take on your computer.

1 Like

Looks like a I have 83% free on the unit.

Are you sure that this is what’s free on the +drive (and not the amount of free RAM / how much you still can load into a project)?

1 Like

I’ve tried to recreate on my machines what I’m gleaning from your screenshot and I can’t duplicate the problem.

How did those other directories get onto the M:S, is this a used device? Can you move up one level and post a screen shot of the parent directory all these are in.

Can you post a screen shot of the “Connection” window?

Have you tried copying +drive content back to your desktop? If that works then your +drive is probably full.

Also, have you tried toggling the USB output settings?

2 Likes

I’m just now discovering that there is no way to check remaining space on the 1G drive. This is a complete failure at the most basic level, like 1980s basic, middle school computer lab fundamentals “basic”.

I’m gobsmacked.

What do the CVs of the designers at Elecktron look like? Are they amateur SID chip circuit benders who “made it big”?

1 Like

@djenzyme - copying my files to my desktop now see if that may do the trick. Looks like it’s going to be a long process.

@Optofonik - I got this unit used, I’m not sure what is factory and what the previous owner uploaded.

Ah, I didn’t mean all of it (though it won’t hurt to have a backup), just to see if the actual transfer side of things is working… And it seems it is.

Sounds like your +drive is full :wink:

1 Like

It is definitely a strange thing to leave out, I think it’s the same for Digitakt too.

Sounds like your drive is full.

RANT:

I’m stunned that Elektron doesn’t know how to implement such a basic function; I mean, it’s not like it’s considered a “feature” by anyone on the planet. No automobile in the world leaves the factory assembly line without a gas gauge and odometer.

I begin to wonder if the “uniqueness” everyone lauds Elektron for is born out of something not so unique; trying to break “the rules” without having studied what the rules actually are. In this case, not studying and understanding why certain conventions exist before, “Breaking with convention.”