M:S Track wrong octave

So the track is set to play note C5 (default I think), but it sends out C4 through midi?
I verified this with my Microkorg, and to my iPad.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers!

strictly speaking it doesn’t send ‘C4’ it sends a number that is related to at least two references depending on teh manufacturer - so firstly check whether it’s sending the number you expect rather than judging based on references

see e.g. this old discussion here about deviations from expectation …

1 Like

Doesn’t the MIDI standard specify how note numbers translate to frequencies ? Feels to me like it ought to but I guess from what you’re saying it probably doesn’t.

It does, but @roccster is comparing note labels, not note numbers (0 to 127).

So I guess in that case, there must be no standard for note labels (C4, A0, etc) relate to frequencies … otherwise there wouldn’t be a problem I guess.

Sorry … I’m just trying to figure out how these discrepancies come about.

discussion here will help - especially the answer in second post

2 Likes

The discrepancies come about because, while the MIDI specifications are unambiguous about note number (60 (decimal) is middle C), they give no definitive statement for how to label octaves.

Therefore note 60 has been labelled as C3, C4, or C5 by various manufacturers.

Elektron’s recent instruments try to present the note number as well as the note label in their user interfaces.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your input. Now I got that sorted out, not a bid deal for me but just wanted to get an explanation since I thought It might be a bug :smiley:
As always, great help here in this forum.

Cheers!

1 Like

Wow. I had no idea it was that messy. :dizzy_face:

1 Like