Note value off

Noticed something odd today. The note value display is one octave higher than actual note being played. I checked to make sure transpose was +0 and it is. I haven’t noticed this before because I mostly input via midi kb and the actual notes are correct. Anyone else seen this? Is there a setting I haven’t read about that would make the note display as one octave higher?

I guess I should give an example. If I play C3 the NOT value on the Note section shows C4.

i’m inclined to agree that the labelling is on the ‘high side’ - if i understand correctly, the midi spec stipulates A440 is note 69, middle C would be 60 then, by that ref - on the AFour when I play Midi note 60, i get C5 displayed … now a couple of standards exist for labelling but I think that may be higher still - my reckoning is that it is only labelling and they may adopt using that system for the following reason …

The NOT param displays a range from C 0 to G 1 where G 1 in this case is G 10, there’s just no room - so in order for Elektron to display the octave ranges with a negative label and a sharp, they’d need more characters than they have, so i think it’s just a labelling solution they’ve adopted, whether it fits with the accepted standard i’m not sure but starting from C 0 seems logical to me

One man’s C3 is another man’s C4 ! according to Wikipedia middle C is most commonly accepted as being labelled C4, so it echoes your point !

fwiw - Notes labelled as C3 on my Novation controller equate to C5 on the AF !

yeah seems this is something that switched with the octatrack.

the machinedrum and monomachine are “normal”. when trying to trigger stuff like drum machines that needs specific MIDI notes all my stuff corresponds to this system, at least.

not sure what else uses the transposed system , but something must…wish it was a menu setting. it can get confusing when transposing/arp, etc.

ah, I didn’t realize that

I didn’t think it was an elektron thing because I actually tested into a tuner and the note display on the OT is lined up with what’s on the tuner, the A4 displays it one higher

I’ve just understood the following:

• The middle C on the Analog Four is displayed as C5
  • it generates a C3 sound (~261 Hz) on my spectrum in Ableton Live
  • 261Hz should be C4 according to Scientific Pitch Notation (SPN) (see note at the bottom)

So, the middle C is C4 (261Hz) in SPN, which is C5 in the Analog Four and C3 in Ableton Live!!
:smirk:

“Some manufacturers label the 440 Hz concert pitch not correctly as A3. It is really A4.
Cubase, Akai, and ProTools are starting differently at octave −2, or octave 1. That’s not the standard.
The first tone is the note A0 and that is 27.5 Hz. The classical music world is counting this way.
The tuning pitch for the Western music (concert pitch), is 440 Hz. It is named A4 or a’.”
Source: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm

1 Like

Yeah it can be very annoying if you have to program instruments with 3 different values for the same note !