M:S or MPC500

I had fun with the model:cycles for a while, but I want more samples. I have the octatrack, but I want a dedicated drum machine. I’m about to sell my model:cycles and at first I was thining to go m:s but wondering if the mpc500 might be a better choice, battery powered, real midi stuff, 4 sample per pad…

I used the mpc1000 for quite a while years ago…

Main difference is going to be polyphonic vs monophonic. The 500 can play back samples polyphonically (like the 1000) whereas the M:S is all about samples played back one per track. The M:S offers much more hands on control, as you’re probably aware. You could probably find a cheaper 1000 if you look around too.

It’s not that fun tbh. No JJOS as far as I know. The midi is very useful though.

oh right, I got used to the jjos on the mpc1000… it’s true that the os was a bit of a drag…

I don’t think there are other sampler with velocity pads around that price right?

If you already have OT, then you can slice, dice, and do whatever you please to samples. So I will suggest the M:S. It is very fun, one of my favorites, and will make a great drum machine, groovebox, or whatever. I tried the 500 years ago and found it tedious to use. The M:S is quick, fun, and sounds great.

5 Likes

I had both in the past (not at the same time).
The workflow on the M:S is very fun and fast and it sound good.
The MPC is less fun to use but can sample, have decent pads, it’s stereo and polyphonic. It dosen’t have a sound signature and effects are pretty generic. Transfering samples on the cf card is long…
You can find one for half the price of the m:s.

If your looking for a drum machine and not a sampler, I suggest you can go for a m:s, it’s so easy and fun to make a beat on it, you won’t be lost because you already know the elektron sequencer :wink:

1 Like

I own a M:C and I had a MPC500 in the past.
If you want a sample based drum machine, I would take the M:S. The MPC500 (imo) has a terrible static workflow, everything is complicated and laborious. You don’t have LFOs to give some life to your sequences, the sound design and performance capabilities are very poor (one single fader that can control one of three parameters). For me, it’s a total non fun machine.
Speaking about midi side, you already have an OT and a MPC1000, very capable for this.
So I think the M:S with its spontaneous workflow, audio running LFOs and performance features with pattern temporary saves is much more indicated.

I adore that generation of MPCs but even I would choose the M:S over the 500. Completely different machines but the 500 is far to fiddly. If you’re after more samples and a dedicated drum machine, it might be worth getting an MPC 1000 again. Or an Isla S2400.

The mpc1000 would make sense, but the mpc500 won’t.
On paper it look great.
In real life it is not.
Lack of polyphony, display which is hard to deal with, any effect drop the number of voice. And it could have a mhhh or bzzz noise depending on the psu/battery. So too much thing which drop the Whaoo effect unfortunately :confused:
Would be so happy with a new one with the same form factor but with this issue fixed and a better screen.

I think mpc500 would be like a mpc1000, unfortunately it is not in the same league at all.

Model:sample won’t do the same as mpc500, spec wise mpc500 is better. But the fun factor is here on the model:sample.

1 Like

I just want to add another option. The Sonicware Smpltrek. I had both the m:s and mpc500, one had the amazing sequencer, the other the amount of samples. The smpltrek sits a bit in the middle, but with modern options.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. I really though the mpc500 was just as good as the mpc1000 but in a smaller form factor. The Smpltrek seems fun, but I have a device learning fatigue and really want to stop expanding, and produce more. I even wanted to move away from the Cobalt and back into the prophet as I’ve learned synth with my mopho… but price wise I can’t justify that for the moment.

1 Like

if you don’t need to sample directly then the model samples is your huckleberry

1 Like

@captain8 a really good usage of the mpc500 !
This guy has year of practice in chopping sample properly.
I remember doing chopping on the mpc500 with this one line with numbers, that was as exciting as excel spreadsheet :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Price of MPC1000 seems to be on the decline, I increasingly see ones in good shape for less than 500 on Reverb. You may have to add $$ for JJOS, but it seems like for the extra 150-200 that would take you a lot farther.

1 Like

Don’t take the Reverb price as the actual price either.

I was watching all different models of old MPC quite closely and there is a big difference in asking price and the reality of average price, when they even sell. Most units are cycling through their bidding period multiple times over without selling. I think you could get an MPC1000 for £300, maybe even £250 of you are patient and cheeky.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:, it’s nothing to me, but I’ve had all the samplers that didn’t have a wave form display
If he practices it will become second nature in no time. However if the quality of life workflow is really important to him he should splurge for an mpc one, no matter how much I love jjos, the mpc one is damn well worth it and if he looks hard he can find a good price, especially now on the verge of the next models, as a matter of fact I’d wait til the next models are announced

1 Like

mpc 500 was a mess. Go for the model samples or a bigger mpc

1 Like

MPC500 is a POS. Worst piece of gear I ever used. Build quality also is very bad. The data wheel in particular will start skipping values on all units. IIRC the last OS was never polished.
It’s really bad.

So M:S all the way

2 Likes

Write down all of the bad things in life, including the MPC500. Tear that list up, stomp on it, dance on it, and never look back.

Fill a cooler with tasty beverages, then take it to the beach and enjoy a nice sunset with the M:S in mind. The future is now, and it tastes pretty good.

1 Like