M:S or MPC500

Perhaps the most important thing to note is that the MPC500 is just not fun to work with. I’ve used all of the MPC’s up until MPC5000. And while moc500 has the MPC name, it feels completely different.

3 Likes

I had a 500 and compared to a 1k its definitly not fun. But it is a powerhouse chopping samples is still nice you will make xour decisions by ear which is not bad. The worst thing about mpc in generel is that its very static once u got your sequences. There are not many remix options and the options you got just dont make fun. Still i couldnt imagine a studio without a mpc for midireasons and just simple samplechopping didnt found anything better in hardware so far. Never tried a ot though.
If u get a mpc nowadays dont get the newest gen (they have better stretching but its not worth it the fx are also nice but not worth it especially if u got a daw for mixing). Get a mpc with jjos. I used the 1000 till it broke and its great for many things not just sampling. I played midisequences via keyboard and sended them anywhere i needed them. Tried the 5k too its really great but no jjos makes it lame. Generaly i am not using hw samplers for drums a lot anymore. I use machinedrum or abletons drumrack most of the times for drums and it just makes me more happy than any mpc.

1 Like

Yeah the sad thing about the mpc500 is it’s lack of fun and audio buzzing.
The cpu on it is not enough powerful so you have lots of capabilities but need to play with lots of limitation which make it annoying to use.
Like polyphony on long sample and effect.

If used properly you can still make good track on it, but you put your pleasure away from you….

1 Like