M:C obsolete now there's ST?

The ST has an overall drive on the analog bus which is already gained up a bit. Half its range is backward(attenuating) from 1 to 0 and the rest from 1 to spinal tap 11 is cranking up

All that is to say that the ST has its own special break up sauce ‘potential’, can’t say I sought to find that MC grit which is delicious

1 Like

All the distortion in demos I’ve heard sounds rather generic and boring. Where’s the CRUNCH!?

7 Likes

yes this is my feeling totally, the AR is really at a loss here with the syntakt really covering a lot ground. I wonder if that will put the AR cheaper on the used market, I’m still mesmerized by the beauty of the device itself.

1 Like

Why would a product at a different price range be obsolete? This seems like another one of those negative threads.

3 Likes

Repeat after me: « nothing is obsolete »

14 Likes

well that’s a relief, I got nervous for a second because that would have been the first waffling point for me yet

I’m actually kind of happy about Syntakt’s overlap with M:C as it reduces the GAS for me. At the same time, it’s cool knowing there’s now a super-powered upgrade available if I want to get deeper into that sonic palette and workflow.

4 Likes

This was a genuine, rational question. I was thinking of selling it and maybe buying a Syntakt. I was thinking how it will impact people’s view of M:C. Do they think we are going to get an update and so on.

Now you’re bringing that “negativity” vibe here yourself.

I don’t think this will become obsolete.

As an example, I bought MS right after getting DT and the number one thing that made me fall in love with MS is how damn light it is. This is the one I’m going to bring with me when traveling.

As others mentioned, there’s the entry price. MC will find plenty of happy homes especially if people are dumping them at stupid prices.

If not for a missing package, I’d have an MC. I wouldn’t mind making it work with ST and also making MC the one I get to bring everywhere.

Absolutely its obsolete.

If anyone approaches you saying they’re thinking about getting an MC, you should just roll up a newspaper and smack them on the head and yell “no! Spend 3x the money you were planning to spend and get an ST instead!”

9 Likes

OMG! My Steinway Grand Piano has no distortion. It’s obsolete!
https://www.steinway.com/pianos/steinway/grand

5 Likes

I think it’s been well discussed already but yeah, the vast price difference means they aren’t in the same category of product.

Also as mentioned, it’s really the AR that is getting hit harder. I feel like getting a Syntakt and a Digitakt is a better value proposition than a Rytm unless you think you REALLY need every one those analog drums.

1 Like

If you overlook kits and performance macros

once M:C is several times cheaper than ST – the answer is no.

Does the digi range not have an equivalent to the model range “folder as kit” ?

I reckon youre working more with Samples than Cycles?

In the folder browser there are kits of samples and you can organize your samples however you want. But you still gotta load the samples to a sound manually (a sound being all the data of the sample, envelope, filter, LFOs, effects, etc).

I’m not sure how kits work on the model devices because they are honestly off my radar but on the Rytm a kit is all 12 pads with their own sound if my memory serves me. I’m not sure if there’s more to it than that, it never seemed like a big deal to me (though I’ve never owned a Rytm so maybe someone could explain why it’s so cool).

There were some restrictions with it as well, as in changing a sound in a kit affects that sound across all patterns where on the digitakt each patterns sound is kinda unique to that pattern, it’s more of a workflow difference than a true limitation for either device.

I have both M:C and M:S, M:S is more recent, still very new in fact. I have ‘kit folders’ on both.

It looks to me, from your comment

that the SynTakt does not have “kit folders” (i.e. pre-load this collection of sounds into the 12 tracks of this pattern) in the same way as the M:C and M:S. Was I right, was that what you were saying ?

1 Like

I don’t think that the AR is a loss. It’s more a performance drum Maschine with Sampling and kits , qperf and a master compressor. ST, DT and DN lack those performance features. I think Elektron placed the ST more as an Groovebox to compliment the DT and DN than a rival product for the AR

I can’t imagine what kind of person would get a Rytm mk2 over an ST+DT. But I’m not a live performer, I mainly use these things in my bedroom studio.

Just for fun:

• ST+DT together has a smaller footprint
  • Sample layer has 100x the resolution, an additional filter and LFO, sample length instead of start/end. Loop points.
  • Synth layer has the best sound engines from the rytm but with better tracking, an additional LFO, routable master distortion and 8 digital tracks.

The rytm has performance controls, tom engines and it’s a single device.

3 Likes