LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

The internet is a strange place. When you are looking up Lyra-8 videos on Youtube most of them are freestyle noise, some are more or less musical ambiental, but almost none shows the Lyra-8 used as main instrument in a more song-like way.

“Almost none” means here that I know only about one video which is also listed on the Koma hompage itself:

Does anybody know other videos like the one from Necro Stellar?

(It needn’t to be videos though. Just audio would be fine, too.)

3 Likes

might just be my perception, but in that track the percussion appears to be the main instrument. lyra providing bass lines, and ambient bits.

I play Lyra as my main instrument in a band, we don’t have any online presence just yet though.
This is me jamming out some octatrack patterns using Lyra to play melody, basslines and intervals in a song ish way.

I have owned my Lyra for about 2 years now. For me, I find my favourite Lyra experiences are when I let go of trying to tame her, and instead travel alongside her and share the sound together. The sensors really are sensitive to pressure humidity and temperature, my last gig was tricky because it was so cold I could not hit the notes I wanted. Or rather, Lyra would not hit the notes because my fingers and her contacts were cold. So I just had to use what I had. Luckily I have learned a few tricks and you can always get pleasing sounds out of the Lyra. Sounds far out, but it really does feel like a human meets machine relationship.

14 Likes

That matches my impressions, too. But I guess with a little help from her friends (mainly OT) percussions made from Lyra sound snippets shouldn’t a problem, right?

Great track with an impressive variety of different “scenes” (for the lack of a better word), BTW! That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

1 Like

Thanks mate! oh yeah absolutely. Attack transients would have to be done on the OT, as Lyra’s attack portion of the envelopes is very slow, and no control over it. But yes, you can sample lyra and make all sorts of weird stuff.

2 Likes

Impulse Command from Analog Solutions?
Is it like an obedient controllable LYRA?

1 Like

Thanks for listening and commenting, how are you liking your Lyra?

The delivery service hasn’t made it on Friday. Tomorrow it should arrive (damn, a working day - I guess I’ll get less sleep :wink: ).

But for all I’ve seen and heard from others I will like it very much.

This guy uses it with an OT to make techno. It’s pretty impressive.

4 Likes

That’s a very interesting livestream about his process.

Beside some small phrases where the raw sound shines through I would never associate the end result with the Lyra. Too much taming for my personal taste …

1 Like

I concur, Lyra sounds best with just a touch of reverb and nothing else!

2 Likes

Lyra and some space reverb, no need to tame it. Just learn how it works and it’s very compatible with any style of music. I’m only just getting into it still but it’s a pretty simple machine that breathes its own.

This is fantastic! Do you have more jams like this? Nice work, I thoroughly enjoyed that. The way it built up slowly and flowed from start to finish – super.

1 Like

I am one of those freestyler/noise/ambient type Lyra users, but I must say that was an inspiring video.

I have no intention of taming my Lyra to such an obedient little puppy like that but it does inspire, as I do want to sample my Lyra into my OT as well, to make something a little more structured.

1 Like

Yeah that was my thought as well. I love how untamed the Lyra is but he clearly has a very deep understanding of it to coax predictable sounds out of it. Impressed the heck out of me.

IMHO it’s more a deep understanding of the OT which let you bend almost every sample with enough frequencies in it (like a noise sample) into whatever you want. And the Lyra provides exacly that: overtone rich content.

(for examples see the soundlab competitions here on the forum)

5 Likes

Good point. I think I’m just a sucker for using instruments outside their expected range (explains why I love the MD so much :slight_smile: )

Excellent work! Love the vocal timbres that you’re able to get out it and the “key change” that happens two-thirds of the way through.

1 Like

I agree. The Lyra sounds he dials up are not hard to achieve, especially if you’ve seen the patches published for SOMA EU and used those as starting points - eg. the “Eno” patch, the “Rumble” patch, etc… Most of the taming appears to be done on the OT.

I’ve just finished my second three hour session with the Lyra-8 and I have to say: phew.

I thought I was well prepared for what’s coming (I watched almost every available video, read the manual multiple times), - but hell no, I was completely wrong.

Every time you turn a knob or flip a switch and you think you know what will happen, it happens something differently. Or better: in some way it happens approximately what you think, but also two or three other things will happen at the same time. None of its functions seem to be linear in any way or decoupled from the rest. Everything seems to be interconnected somehow. It reacts to the slightest touch or knob movements in its very own, incomparable to anything else, way.

Yep, it’s a real beast. There are demons inside.

Loving it.

14 Likes

That’s a very good description of one of my favorite piece of hardware. :+1:
The fact that it’s so far from the “usual” synthesis and that it seems to have a life of its own is precisely why I love it: it embarks me on a improbable and crazy sonic voyage with every session, it’s the very definition of “an experience”. It’s really good to get creative juices going.

I love this machine ! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes