LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

No, so time to go shop for something else.

2 Likes

This synth had potential and one of his strengths was that itā€™s not too expensive. My problem is that for me the next interesting synth with a potential to buy it costs 4 times as much :joy:
Thatā€™s why I wanted to like Lyra

Canā€™t sequence with MIDI or CV (while remaining in equal temperament). Doesnā€™t make any sounds that you like. So I donā€™t see the potential for it to fit with what you want to do.

1 Like

Stop trolling already!

ā€¦had potential in being a unique and powerful playable instrument! But itā€™s just too limited imo

Iā€™ll knock something together for you later tonight.
Iā€™ll put some rhythms through the external input and CV voices input.

4 Likes

I had the Lyra, and while I liked it, I do agree about it leaning towards sounding kinda samey. I think everbody buying it, myself included, had this dream of an ever changing beast, sounding different with every little change of touch, and turn of a dial, but that is just not the case, and I think potential buyers should know this.

And please - donā€™t compare it to a violin, thatā€™s just embarrasing. The level of expression and ability to add personal touch, is just worlds apart. Yes, seriously.

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t comparing it to a violin in terms of expression or playability. I was making the point that you could easily get bored of any musical instrument watching endless videos of amateurs on the internet playing with it. I used the example of a violin exactly because of how expressive it is.

I like my Lyra, itā€™s exactly as flexible as the manual and designers suggest it is and I rarely make a track these days without using it in some way. It does take quite a lot of investment to get the best out of it, as you have to learn how to play it properly.
If you want someting that you can play nice melodic leads with, probably best to avoid the Lyra.
As with all things, probably best to read the manual before you buy it.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Point taken

Good point - my bad, I misread you :+1:

1 Like

I have a tip, that will save you hours of your life - just walk away from the beating of the horse. Then the people interested in beating said horse, can stick around.

Not really directed at you, or anyone. More of an observation. This thread has reached critical horse flog.

2 Likes

Great title for an album, that.

4 Likes

Its all yours.
RIP Peter Green.

1 Like

Day-um :ok_hand:

i just snagged a chernobyl green one.
:radio: :skull:

1 Like

Iā€™ll see if I canā€™t run the pulsar into it this weekend

2 Likes

Sick!

Even though I am sure you will enjoy it, I know the effort required is not exactly trivial.

Looking forward to some weirdness for sure.

I have found with the comb filter on the OT that 3 to 4 different kicks from a sampler can really make a groove. Snares are weird going through a filter, you either dial it in first try or itā€™s a lost cause. Theoretically the same should apply to the Lyra.

One kick track with all trigs down and chance set to 44% after being at 100% for a pattern or two really throws in some chop!

Itā€™s not like a DFAM, but itā€™s DFAM-y in the sense that itā€™s musical rhythm.

Just some tricks I learned so you have something to try if all else fails :joy:

1 Like

I hope you ordered it from these guys, the case it comes with is pretty sweet.

2 Likes

The SOMA combo! That sounds like it will be a ton of fun

I finally caved to buy one cause I want that sick box for it to sit in when I neglect it for months on end but they wonā€™t ship to states. Commies :wink: