LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

With stupid (harsh, i know) I meant it could probably have had both, unpredictability and tunability.

There’s a a whole category of synths that were not designed with Western tonality in mind - a lot of the Ciat-Lonbarde stuff, Folktek stuff, a lot of stuff in the Buchla and Serge worlds, etc. SOMA’s stuff (Lyra, Pulsar, etc.) are just a later entries into the party - a party for the weird, who love to fly that freak flag.

If you don’t like them, just buy something else and get back to work on your music/art. No need to waste your precious time.

1 Like

You need to think of it like one big FM voice with 8 operators, all independent yet interrelated at the same time and configurable in about 256 algorithms.
Adding quantised pitch control on top of that seems fairly pointless, because there’s very few scenarios when the pitch coming out of it will be in any way related to the pitch going into it, at least not without making it a lot more complex (and therefore more expensive/less fun).

2 Likes

It seems like the kind of thing that might be fun to play… but it’s tedious to listen to. Most Lyra-8 tracks are like a garbage truck outside the house at 3 AM. … in my opinion :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I’d bet that if you’re on the fence about buying one, then you probably shouldn’t.

5 Likes

This

My favourite band :wink:

7 Likes

I really like this LYRA video from a fellow elektronaut.

7 Likes

Might try this with my Korg SQ-1 in place of the EHX sequencer. Nope, not going to give a flying fark about everything being in tune

6 Likes

Isn’t this in E-minor? :wink:

3 Likes

I like a lot of the stuff you’ve posted in the DFAM thread. In a lot of those tunes you’re using other synths too - how much work does it take to get the Lyra to sit nice with regards tuning?

None at all really.

Full disclosure, I’m basically tone deaf and know nothing about music theory, scales, keys etc.
I compose all my tunes by ear and have no idea if one synth is “in tune” with another beyond decades of listening to other people doing it and sort of knowing by instinct. I guess this is why things like the Lyra and DFAM appeal to me, they are both completely free when it comes to tuning, so I just turn knobs til I like the sound of it, then get on with playing and adjust as I go.
I probably take 5 or 6 times longer figuring out how much decay I want on my reverb than tuning my gear.

9 Likes

I’ve just spent all afternoon with my Lyra being pitch sequenced by my Zoia. The tuning took a while to setup, and it’s not perfect, but therein lies the vibe - some beautiful imperfection you’d never concoct with a normal setup. I had a tune going on it, with a harmonised line above it, and some added dramatic interjections from other voices when needed. It worked in enough of a key to play nice with some arpeggiated chords from another synth too.

6 Likes

No-one likes a smarty pants :wink:

1 Like

:grimacing: :speak_no_evil: :joy:

1 Like

i liked this explanation and demo:

My biggest problem with Lyra is that 99% (or more) of all sounds/tracks/demos i’ve heard so far sound like they were made by the same person (and i’ve listened to all tracks/demos that i could find on the net). I really doubt that all of those ppl can’t make a unique sounds or a ‘‘track’’ with it bc they’re not creative enough. I believe that it’s actually Lyra’s fault; it just has too narrow sound palette and sound design capabilities. After hearing all of those tracks i have a feeling that i’ve been listening to the same track all along and i feel tired and i need some schlager music to wash it off. :slight_smile:
I’ll probably buy it just to try if i can make something differently. If not and if i dont like it i can easily send it back to Thomann.

2 Likes

If you watched a thousand videos of people playing violins you’d get pretty bored of the sound of violins.
Orchestras sound pretty shit without them though.

4 Likes

That’s why im not playing a violin but im playing a monomachine :slight_smile:

This is mostly because everyone and their dog now has a kick arse video camera on their mobile phone, a YouTube account, and an excitement level that screams ‘hey everyone look what I got!’

Its the same with any new peice of kit that comes out. 99% of the model:cycles clips all sound the same, and so on for guitars, violins, drum machines, reverb pedals etc.

I would suggest if you are debating on the internet about an instrument, you dont want it. If you did, you would have bought it already.

1 Like

still over here hoping someone demos kicks/rythm going through the input jack

1 Like

Maybe but i do it only if im closer to buying a piece of hw than not. A never debate about something there’s a little chance I will buy it. I managed but squeeze relatively unique sounds/tracks out of Mnm and MD and some other synths and now im debating whether it’s possible to get out of Lyra something differently to those YT videos and SC demos