Loopop’s Mega Contest

that’s cool! like when the perkon kicks in!
I’ve seen the Rample in quite a few entries. They added polyphony recently so was wondering if it was any good as I have no polyphonic sample player (I think you can play polyphonic stuffs with the Octatrack but it’s not just plug a MIDI keyboard and you’re good). The Rample screen is really not to my taste (but do we really need it that much?).

Thanks, I haven’t used the polyphony yet but it seems straightforward.

The screen is basic but functional, in a way it’s good because you don’t really need it and stops you focussing on it. It gives you a graphical display of levels for volume and the amount of effect for each track and that’s all you really need as it doesn’t sample and you don’t edit on it. It’s more just for live triggering

1 Like

Damn only 4 days left!!
I have to drop something, had so much fun with these samples…

I actually dig your entry @muzka, I love surprise and yours is full of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Too kind, look forward to checking yours out. Just don’t forget that deadline

I’ve listened to all the entries (well, 220). I would advice to avoid the vocal sample available in the pack. I can’t stand it anymore haha…

2 Likes

Wow, sounds like quite a chore (or bore?). Any other observations from going through them all?

I kinda feel the same way about my entry as you did about yours in the end - just want to be done with it and move on! I’m planning to add some vocals as well but it’s hard when there are three kids running round the house all day (nor would they or my wife appreciate me belting late in the evening). And then there’s the explanation video… It’s not like I have to do any of this nor do I expect to win anything but would be fun to finish this. :smiley:

while working so it was cool but I did skip a few ones haha.
it’s fun to see how many different tracks can be created with the same sample pack. There’s a guy who made like a prog rock track too! a few people did offer great explanations so it was a great learning experience.

if you wanna submit and perhaps standout (my absolute personal vision after listening to 220 entries…):

1. reading loopop’s comment in the videos, I think he values the walkthrough a lot and I will agree. I was too tired to do more than what I did, which is the absolute minimum (and didn’t want to spend more than the weekend on it and be done with it by monday)but it’s great if you have insights into the process, the mixing phase and the why’s. BUT I’m not in Loopop’s mind so the project file might be just as fine.

2. if you really want to use that vocal sample or one of the textures loopy in the pack, you’ll have to be very creative to stand out, that’s a challenge by it self so I would avoid or if you have a great idea, that could be a winner!

3. people were going crazy with the samples way much more than I thought it was OK to… I tried to stick a maximum to the original sound but many people went crazy with it and that seems totally fine (at least, I didn’t see Loopop saying he wouldn’t accept the entry).

4. something that is not 4/4 could be a good move!

5. a lot of people went with filming their DAW (as I did) but a live performance is nice and would stand out more.

6. some people did the walkthrough first, then the track, the opposite is much appreciated.

7. tracks with original vocals (like not a sample but with a singer) were very few, I think max 5 if it’s not 3 or 4 so that could be a way to stand out (good or bad, idk haha)

btw, the entries I really liked (be it the mix, the composition, the melody, the vocal or the explanations, some of them… all of it!). Obviously, a lot of entries were really good (and to hear so many talented people is both a joy and depressing at the same time haha) but too far from my taste or using that vocal sample and I couldn’t listen to it anymore (so I might be missing a few great tracks haha).

(one of my fav)

(great track, great live performance, great setup)

(great place, loved the live drumming)

(love the bass sound he got running through the moog)

(loved the CHVRCHES vibes with the female vocal and one of the few with vocals)

(mix is huge and he was so fast to deliver…)

(the infamous vocal sample but the groove is great)

(weird but with some melodies springing here and there and when they arrive, it’s soooo good)

(well, there’s a machinedrum so… even though he is using samples, i feel like it’s the machinedrum sound, crazy, sound is dope)

(renoise? and nice explanations)

(sound is very good - iOS only)

(great track on the M:S and the only one using it I think!)

(that bass out of the tom is so nice!)

(nice explanations and nice track)

(love the melody line haha)

(he really gave a lot of details about his process, very insightful)

(catchy and I guess the picture makes me feel good haha)

(the notepad writing was such a good idea and the track is lovely)

4 Likes

Since we are Elektronauts and my track is Digitakt only, I thought I should share my entry here as well:

4 Likes

Between these, my vote goes to Wicked News. Takes courage to strap a keyboard around our neck like that, he seems to get away with it. You know, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Not sure about the synth solo at the end but ones you swing those keys around your neck you have to do one I suppose. Nice track.

1 Like

Yeah the ending solo was perhaps too much haha.
I like his setup and I’m glad he did a walkthrough. The track is good. a bit more upfront vocals would have been great though.

The polyend tracker track is banging too.

1 Like

agreed!

F this. 2 am here in Finland and I’m trying to polish this turd of a track. :rofl:

Also made half of the walkthrough as well, so I better get this ready by the deadline!

1 Like

Been without my gear since Friday, I will have to rush it tomorrow. It is what is but I hope to finish it, I was quite happy with my stupid ideas :grin:

Wow, took me quite some time but here is mine!

9 Likes

thanks for the tutorial!
(Would love more if you can!)

Love this one!

1 Like

Thanks!
@blakewalt you mean on the subject or in general?

Thats great, lovely stuff and like how you included the track information

1 Like

OT related! you seem to know a lot and that would be really helpful! quick and to the point!

1 Like

Alright, this is my entry. It’s unlisted right now as I still want to take a look at it before I “officially” submit it. Make sure it’s got all the info and other bits it needs. But I really don’t want to spend another very late night doing this.

At least the track is done. The explanation video was a bit of a PITA to make - not going to become a full-time Youtuber anytime soon! :smiley:

Edit: Took a different approach on the explanation video. (The footage is from archive.org, and yes I’ve used it before.)

8 Likes