Loopop’s Mega Contest

If it wasn’t for Current sounds coming from your gear I’m not sure I’d enter. Now I’m dreaming of one of those Lyra-8 prizes…

Here’s my entry for the contest:

There’s plenty of good entries already, and still a lot of time left. Good luck everyone :smiley:

19 Likes

Really nice! Hope you win! :slight_smile:

Funnily enough, I listened to about ten (random) entries on Youtube yesterday and THREE of them were using the same texture sample I was thinking of using throughout my track. Of course it was probably a really obvious way to use that sample, so I’m glad I hadn’t really started yet.

2 Likes

Thank you! I also use that that texture sample (without the voice in it), but it fit in after I made the main melody, so it was to cool to not include. Looking forward to hearing your entry!

1 Like

Rules say to keep it recognisable and not to chop, mangle and change its sound. But that’s all the fun of sampling :slight_smile:

I understand why though as it’s to show the type of music made by these machines

3 Likes

Gave this a go as well. Fun little challenge working entirely in the box instead of hybridly.

9 Likes

Love those chords. Nice to see Renoise being used too.

It’s Bitwig actually! I’ve also used Renoise in the past but never got that proficient with it.

1 Like

And I only went to the optician last week…:joy:

The skin had me over… saw the familiar orange and black and didn’t look any closer!

I’d love a Nymphes too but unless I’m mistaken, it’s not amongst the list of prizes. :cry:

1 Like

I think Loopop quietly removed it, but originally he also mentioned a total of 4 Nymphus synths being possible prizes.

Either that or me and Doug are from a parallel universe :panda:

2 Likes

(edited as there is an official playlist ha)

5 Likes

I’ve also given a cursory listen to some entries. Some really good ones but I feel that it’s going to be difficult to determine if an entry adheres to this part of the rules:

"the point is to keep the soul of the instruments somewhat intact, but you can use effects (reverbs, delay, eq, filters, compressors, etc in your DAW/sampler of choice or free third-party plugins). The idea is to make music with the instruments and not something else otherwise this would just be a “make any song you like” contest".

Like someone said, often the most fun part of samples is when you really start to mangle them and make them your own - something which isn’t really the point of this contest (and I understand very well why).

But I hope people - both the ones who win and the ones who don’t - will be able to keep the contest fun. If not, well, there’s this in the rules. :smiley:

10. You agree not to sue or complain to me or any of the companies donating prizes for anything including my bad taste in music - I’m running this contest in good faith to get people finishing music, learning from each other and hopefully winning some prizes. Companies aren’t paying me anything for including them in this contest, and they were kind enough to offer the prizes. There’s no appeals process, my decision is final.

2 Likes

find it very interesting to see how people create their track.
VCVRack seems to be used quite often to create textures/loops/bloops/blips so might be quite hard to find the fine line between using samples and mangling samples but it’s great loopop put some open source vibe into this context (having to share your project or explain how you did it), more than 150 entries at this stage so I’m sure we’ll all learn something!

1 Like

Holy sh** these contests are getting more and more difficult :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
The level keeps getting higher!

1 Like

On Loopops website it states:

“NO PURCHASE NECESSARY FOR THE DURATION OF THE CONTEST”

But are you allowed to use the samples for free after the competition?

Edit: Rule -20. You may use this sample pack in your music royalty-free, whether you submit a track to the contest or not

1 Like

I really think this is mostly to prevent people from going full single cycle/resampling a million times to make completely different sounds. Like we’ve seen before, people can make entire tracks out of a single snippet of audio.

You can twist the provided sounds in many ways still. Just don’t use techniques that essentially synthesize completely new sounds.

1 Like

done.
There’s a link to the project file (with my vocals too) in the video description so if somebody wanna have fun and mangle the hell out of it, you’re more than welcome to do so! I only used stock plugins from Logic Pro (did use some nice reverbs for my voice but bounced them as tracks so you just need Loopop sample pack).

Let’s go back to playing with gear now!

6 Likes

You have a lovely voice :content:
The vibe reminds me a little bit of Burial. Great stuff!

1 Like

Thanks!
I guess I could have tried to get more interesting drums (use the same kick pattern for the entire track haha) but I really missed probability and LFOs once in the DAW (I guess Live is better for that…)

1 Like

Mine is absolute rubbish. Prepped sample one hits and some beat loops in ableton then transferred to my modular I’ve just finished. First time properly jamming on it and recorded first take. Wasn’t happy but had no energy to do it again. First time setting up camera to record also so good learning experience if nothing else

4 Likes