Loopers

Hmm…

Well, to be honest, there hasn’t really been a new rack-unit looper in years now; and software like Ableton (or the above-mentioned software platforms), boundless though they may be, they are a bit of a kludge to use live: i.e. too many peripherals required.

I did have some luck using LoopyHD with an iPad, a MIDI controller, and an iConnectAudio4+ for a while; but again, it was a fiddly setup at the best of times. Loopy can MIDI-learn though, so you can use just about any controller that sends CC data or program changes or whatever, so that was nice.

Cheers!

1 Like

I better like to be able to overdub using the same footswitch I use for rec/play. Like on 99.9% loopers available.
On Rang3 you first have to select the loop on which you want to stack and then engage the Stack function. That’s why I find the stacking on the Rang3 not intuitive.

Always interested in adding a looper to my set up . I just want the simplest one that will synch synth riffs with my drum machine so I can build up parts . I get stuck with choice . Was close to buying the boss rx 202 but now looking at the rang 3. Anyone got any firm recommendations ?

Thanks for that. I used quantiloop on iOS for a while, but fiddly as well with interfaces. Hopefully the ‘rang will end my search :pray:t4:

Well, no, that’s not entirely true.

First of all, record/play are initiated with the loop’s dedicated footswitch, as on any looper: i.e. tap once to record, tap again to end recording and play the loop. If you want to overdub directly after recording, as is often the case with single-loop pedals, you simply have to tap-and-hold the loop’s footswitch to engage recording and activate the “Stack” function simultaneously; which will then wait for you to finish recording as before, only the loop will start overdubbing immediately, instead of just playing back. When you’re done overdubbing, you turn off the stack function by simply tapping whatever function switch you have it assigned to.

To that end, the reason why stack is also available as a separate function thusly (freely assignable to either of the function switches) is because there are situations wherein you might want it to be available for overdubbing on multiple, already-established loops, of which there could be 3 or even 4 playing simultaneously, each in a different state or play-style, each with different loop FX already applied, and so on… Yes. :wink: This also saves you from having to double-tap loops to stop them; which is an unfortunate by-product of the record/play/overdub implementation of other loopers.

But that’s only if you have multiple loops playing in parallel (otherwise referred to as “Sync” mode). When you’re only using one loop, however, or if you’re in “Serial” mode, with loops playing one-at-a-time, one-after-the-other, overdubbing is as easy as stated above.

Anyway, I hope that helps clarify a few things.

Cheers!

1 Like

I think there’s a setting to put it on the same button (customisable … just reading the manual)

That’s not what he’s talking about (see my reply above), but yes, all pedal functions are all freely assignable (two per switch - tap and hold). And with that, I’m going to bed. But if I’m happy to answer more questions over breakfast. 'Night, all. :wink:

Cheers!

I’m sure this is what he was asking … (copied from the manual in the options) but I don’t have the unit yet, and you have more experience, so I may be wrong …

Hold-to-Stack feature – light 10, Loop 4
The III has always been able to record a new loop and have Stack immediately active, but it takes 3 button taps of 2 different buttons. This procedure is described in Sections 10.1 and 11.1. We agree this can be a hassle while performing, so we added this convenient to reduce “tap dancing”.
If you tap and quickly release a loop button, the next tap will conclude recording and play – normal III behavior. But if you tap and hold the loop button down for 1 second, the Stack light starts to blink. Release the loop button; Stack continues blinking. Now on the next tap the III will conclude recording and play with Stack active. Stack continues blinking. Turn off Stack with the Bonus button where Stack is assigned on the Side CarTM.

The important take-away here is that the basic loop functions on the 'Rang III are just as comprehensive and straight-forward as they are on any other well-designed looper.

I just find it funny when people say “but you need a SideCar”, when that’s simply not true. The SideCar gives access to functions that most other loopers don’t even have, never mind offer in a convenient implementation.

If you want to do advanced looping: i.e. complex song structures, polymetric phrases, punch-ins, copy and paste on-the-fly, loops of different lengths playing synced and free at the same time in different play-styles, with different loop FX applied independently to each loop, etc. … The 'Rang III can do that. All while MIDI synced (or not), with loop quantize engaged (or not). And in these situations, yes, the SideCar can help (but remains optional nevertheless).

Make no mistake though, the 'Rang III can function as a basic looper just the same—better than most, in fact—with or without the SideCar.

To that end, I do have a SideCar, but I gig without it; choosing instead to use the space on my pedalboard for two 'Rang’s. I don’t miss it (the SideCar), but it would be fun to have, if I could incorporate it into the rig without sprawling beyond the reasonable boundaries I’ve set. :wink:

Cheers!

P.S. Sorry for all the edits — just trying to word things right, as to not mislead anyone.

1 Like

Just found this strange looking machine today:

maybe it will work for someone, at least it seems like packed well with so many unique things, I still trust my old EHX 2880.

2 Likes

The Aeros does some interesting and unique things, to be sure. You will, however, find that there are many paradoxes in its design, if you were to really take it to task in a live performance situation; particularly within the context of what might be consider a typical song structure, with regards to time signatures, sync, and loop quantize options. And some of its pedal functions are implemented in such a way as to be a liability onstage as well.

When I politely and respectfully brought these things to the attention of the designer, he shrugged them off. He has a particular workflow in mind, that works for him, and that’s fair; but it does come at the expense of perspective and objectivity.

Again though, to each their own. :wink:

My only goal in these conversations is to lend some real-world perspective, based on extensive practical experience, to anyone aspiring to do advanced live looping.

Cheers!

1 Like

Deluge did a great job with their addition of a live looper. Every pass created a new track so you could keep the good takes delete/mute not so great takes. Was very inspiring. Miss it for that sole function. Wish the MPC looper was a bit more polished. The EXH 1440 looper could be promising.

1 Like

Ha!

Ya, if the MPC’s looper were better implemented, I could definitely put it to use as a third looper. It’s already onstage with me most nights anyway. Like I need a third looper… :laughing:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Kegeratorz. I have a Deluge, like to do ambient guitar loops, and have a Morningstar Midi pedal (which works with the deluge). Currently looping with the OT mk2. Have you tried both?

I like to get creative with loops, mangle them a bit, play with them - does the Deluge allow for this? There aren’t many decent demo vids. I’ll try it myself sometime soon, but interested in the experiences of others.

1 Like

I didn’t do too much with the loops other than start end manipulation which created some nice soundscapes with the deluge while I had one. To be honest I used it more as an multitrack looper building songs ideas, which it really excelled. As for the OT and looping, I sold mine real quick after trying to get pickup machines going. OT was a thing of beauty but not what I was after.

I’m sure you’ve checked out this video but it was the best description at the time it dropped. No manipulation though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qr-Jb6XAGB4

I took the plunge on a used EXH 1440 (with a return policy), I’ll post my experience here soon. Hoping to use it (and eventually a volume pedal) to do synced transitions between songs with my feet. Not convinced it’ll fit my needs but there aren’t that many other options.

Edit: I didn’t notice the dedicated topic on the EXH 1440, may post there.

1 Like

El Capistan, Timefactor, and DL4 are what I use because they all have loop decay (essential imo), they all have their strengths but I do miss being able to make loooong loops. If the Timefactor had longer clean delay times it would be perfect, though I do like it’s low sample rate sounds.

1 Like

Octatrack? Loop decay, 8m28s recording max.

Bit much if you’re in the market for a looper pedal

It’s a big pedal. :smile:
A second hand OT is not much more expansive if you want a midi sync looper with more than 2 tracks. I think it’s the most powerful hardware looper, and the least intuitive. :content:

2 Likes