Loopers

The RC 505 MKI and same RC generation (44.1khz 16 bits) can theoretically record around 3h30m (2GB files max), on a microSd card ! (RC300, RC202…)

The RC 505 MKII and same generation records in 32 bits vs 16 bits, so time is less, still consequent (Edit : 1.5 hour per track apparently. 2GB files max too I guess. (RC600, RC500, RC5).

Octatrack records up to 8m28s, 85.5 MB.

3 Likes

Blackbox or razzmatazz with midi foot controller

I briefly had that Boss RC 505 looper, it was the most plastic thing I ever purchased.

There is an RC 600 now. That looks proper build quality :eyes:

3 Likes

Love my RC-600 and can confirm, it’s built like a tank.

4 Likes

6 stereo tracks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Definitely need this.

1 Like

Same OS as RC 505 MKII, but I’d miss the faders, and dedicated buttons. The RC600 buttons layout wouldn’t suit me. 9 buttons for 6 tracks ? :sketchy:
4 boutons per track for the RC 505 MKII, 5 tracks.

I’d prefer RC 505 MKII + midi foot controller.

4 Likes

What’s the best way to run multiple instruments into a looper? Do I need a mixer? A second looper?

Here’s my setup. I have the EHX 1440 looper MIDI synced to my Model:Samples. My MicroMonsta 2 outputs run into the EHX 1440. Both the M:S and synth/looper outputs go into my Scarlett 18i8, and the outputs of that go into my monitors. (I generally don’t have a laptop plugged into the Scarlett.)

I also have an electric guitar that runs through a pedal board, then into my Yamaha THR10X amp. Which means I can’t loop my guitar signal, but I’d like to.

One option would be to get a second looper pedal for the guitar and split the MIDI signal (I do have a Retrokits RK-006, which works great for this.) This would be pretty straightforward to use. One looper for the bass and chords, a second looper for the guitar, so it would be relatively easy to manage the undos, etc. It would also allow me to use my amp for my guitar and my monitors for my synths, which I think I prefer.

Another option would be to get a different looper pedal with multiple inputs. These seem to be much more expensive than just getting a second looper or a small mixer.

Otherwise I think I would have to get a simple 3-channel mixer (the Yamaha AG03 looks perfect for this) to combine the synth and guitar signals in front of the looper, right? The Scarlett doesn’t have enough inputs and outputs to create an effects loop for the synth and guitar, which is basically what I would need, I think.

Either the second or third option seems like it would require me to run my guitar amp into the mixer or pedal, so that the output would just be on my monitors. I’m not sure if I think this is good or bad. Maybe it’s neither. I kinda want to switch to an amp modeling pedal, anyway.

Am I missing a simpler option, here?

That is a solution. I’d choose a mixer with sub/group, like Makie 1204 Alt 3/4 sub out, or Samson SM10 with its MIX B function.

Possible with a microphone

RC 505 MKII has 6 individual inputs (2 mics, 4 inst).

A second looper wouldn’t be my choice.

2 Likes

Why are you wearing shoes on your hands?

1 Like

I think their strategy was pretty dodgy: RC505 good controls, looks cheap as f*ck with its pastic you can bend with one hand VS RC600 built like a tank and dodgy controls.
Why split the market when you could pull out one iteration with best of both worlds that would be a no brainer as the reference looper?

6 Likes

Could you connect a MIDI controller to the RC600 and get most of the same control functionality as the 505?

Theres a guy im sure you’ve heard of him called Marc Ribillet. He uses the cheap plasticky RC505 all the time in huge concerts and outside on the streets. May look cheap but it can stand a lot of beating.

5 Likes

Without looking at the manual, I imagine so. I do know the RC-505mkii has extensive midi implementation and I assume the 600 does as well.

I had a RC-505mkii briefly, but it was looper overkill for my needs given the desk space real estate it requires. I ended up getting an Octatrack instead which now acts as the central hub (mixer, looper, FX) for my other gear.

1 Like

Yeah if I was going the pure looper route I’d possibly consider the 600 on the floor + a decent MIDI controller in front of me for the levels + other stuff. The OT is great for what I want currently though.

I have the RC-600 and wanted to go that route because I’ve had the RC-505 MK1 and felt it was really plasticky and kinda ”ugly”. Tried to program some midi functionality into my midi controller back then (a Roland keyboard with a bunch of faders and pots.)

If I remember correctly there are only 16 ”assigns” you can do, where you choose a cc to control. They run out really really fast. Volume control for all the 6 channels already takes six assigns and you have ten left.

Haven’t installed the latest firmware yet and do not know if this has changed but it’s kind of a restricting factor in midi control of the RC-600.

If you had even 16 assigns per memory and not globally, things would be a bit different.

2 Likes

Ah that’s a shame. I feel spoiled by how good the OT’s MIDI control implementation is sometimes tbh.

Can’t recommend the Aeros Loop Studio enough if you don’t mind the touchscreen on it. Midi programmable, six tracks x six parts (so a whole lot of looping), decent midi sync, quantise, free form, etc etc

1 Like

Loop Daddyyyyyy!!!

THIS IS FOR WHEN

^^^^^^^^^^^
Loop for Me
vvvvvvvvvv

1 Like

I’m sure he has the money to replace it when he wants or even have it sent as a gift by Roland. This is not my case :wink:

:content: Mater of taste, it was ok for me, and light weight can be an advantage for my back in a setup.

Yes, 16 assignments is limited but it was much worse on RC505 MKI before MKI OSV2, only 8 assignments, some obvious destinations missing. I was on the fence to mod it and make a wired foot controller.
5 tracks, 8 midi assignments ? :sketchy:

It took ages to arrive, but they did something at last, still limited with 16 assignments, but much more usable. Weird strategy; long enough to get frustrated, write bad comments about it…but it wasn’t buggy.

Took ages to correct MKII bugs, not finished product at release. New strategy ? This surprised me from Roland / Boss.

AFAIK it is per memory in RC505 MKI and MKII…
Isn’t it ?

1 Like