Loopers

Sort of. All Factor pedals have two external pedal inputs which can be used to control parameters in the pedal, but they can also be programmed to tell the Factor to send a MIDI CC value from the midi port. I’ve got a DIY three button switch (basically a clone of a Digitech FS3X) plugged into one of these inputs. I’ve then programmed the PitchFactor to send a momentary MIDI CC for each button. Quantiloop responds to these cc messages - one button does start/play/stop, another does instant stop/start and the third does cycle/tap tempo.

2 Likes

I think I’ve owned every single looper on here, and the most special and underrated one to my mind is the vox dynamic looper. I almost never see anything about it, but it’s really unique and special. Highly recommended looking into it! I like it as much as my blooper, my 505, 95000, 202, ditto x4 and others!

1 Like

I use my iPad as an insert effect on the VOX and GTR channels in my mixer routing (using an iConnectivity Audio 4+ as audio interface with inputs and outputs matched to emulate insert effects)

Next to a bunch of insert effects per channel on AUM, I have an instance of Enso (the looper app) on each channel at the end of the chain.

A Midi Fighter Twister controls all the key functions of each Enso instance + Wet/Dry controls of the effects in ther respective chains.

So effectively I have a looper with integrated multi-FX with as many tracks as I may need or want, instant overdub + all the other advanced looper features Enso has to offer. And of course the whole thing is midi sync’ed (as slave to my OT).

The degree of flexibility the iPad gives me to build my own looper device by chaining up AUv3 plugins has satisfied the itch better than any looper pedal I’ve owned so far.

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense now :slightly_smiling_face: yep another option could have been the iRig Blueboard to control it I guess, but of course you have more options for reusability in the future in this way. It would be cool to hear how it sounds!

Just remembered my H9 Max has a looper algo. Should give that a try this holiday. Anyone using it?

Figured I might just do it right away…

H9 's looper algo sums stereo inputs to mono.

MIDI sync/quantization seems good (only tested shortly). It starts rec on the next beat after pressing the button. Playback is tight on beat. Does overdubs.

Changing tempo while loop is playing doesn’t stretch or pitch the loop. Keeps playing at same tempo and restarts when out of sync new bar starts. Not advisable unless you’re into glitch.

Recording memory of 12 secs at full quality is short, but I guess long enough for techno transitions. Though even then there’s a clear loss of high frequency signal content.

I might use it in a pinch but will stay with Ableton for now.

1 Like

Looks good, though mono in and out. I’m guessing it doesn’t have midi sync, but can you set the tempo pre recording a loop ?

I wish Elektron would make a ‘mixer-looper-fx-takt’ type thing

2 Likes

You mean the Octatrack?

3 Likes

Not quite. I have one, but have never really got on with it for tactile looping. The best I’ve managed to get is Quantiloop on iPad with dongles, foot pedals etc …
But I will persevere with the OT, will try some new tactics next week

1 Like

Well it’s a great looper once you learn how to use the pickup machines, as well as a mixer and an FX unit. I’m not sure what kind of a “mixer-looper-fx-takt” -box Elektron should make because the Octatrack is just that (and more).

I will dig into it again next week, but have done experiments before with the OT, QLoop, Ableton, and dedicated loopers like the Rang3, RC505, Pigtronix etc. OT was promising, but just not intuitive to use in a live situation. I’ve even programmed my Line6 pod HD500X foot pedal to be a foot controller for the OT loopers, but the whole thing just became a bit of a headfuck after a while, so I gave up.
However, I have a couple more years of OT training under my belt now, so maybe, just maybe, I can master her and climb to the next level in OT mastery

Yeah, it’s not the most intuitive unit and you have to be pretty focused and prepared.

1 Like

stereo sums to mono? weird, not a dealbreaker but not good either. MIDI sync sounds good here but…

that’s odd. again not a dealbreaker for me (i am into glitch but prefer it as an option not as the only possibility in that situation, rare as it may be).

does seems short, yeah. probably enough for most of the time, but again, not ideal.

find all this odd considering how powerful the H9 is on paper. guess most users just aren’t asking for it to have higher-level looping abilities.
appreciate you listing all this out tho! :+1:

1 Like

I think it wasnt designed with looping as a primary goal. Memory is likely limited, hence the mono and time limits.

It does have playback speed (pitch i presume) parameters and reverse but they re not automated to MIDI tempo changes. Cpu limitations might be at play. It isn t the most modern device around.

1 Like

Yeah, H9/Timefactor looper truncates the loop when tempo is changed.
The varispeed control can be set to different resolutions: octaves, oct+5th, dominant7th, chromatic and smooth.

*Edit

Midi sync is great, tho! Always catches perfect loops.

Afaik the H9 looper originally came from the Timefactor pedal, so it might be fair to say it was intended as a bonus function on a delay pedal.

2 Likes

AEROS too. Truncated or blank.

BTW, one box which is a lot of fun, though with only 1 stereo track and no midi sync is the EHX memory man with hazarai. It can do some crazy shit, including full variable (and nice sounding) pitch control, reverse, filters, fx, overdubbing etc.

1 Like

H9 would be so ideal if it didn’t sum to mono.
Just use the dry/wet to transition between the live input and the loop.
So close!

OT reigns for single box looping with mixing.

It’s only complex and cumbersome before you figure out how to make it work. Then it becomes powerful and second nature. I keep track 7 for looping on every Part in my OT.
Means I can perform any part/pattern in the project live, and always mix in and out of it seamlessly. It’s liberating.

In the tri-circle Venn diagram of MIDI sync/quantize , stereo i/o, and mixing,
OT is right in the middle, checks all boxes.
But the amount of solutions that only check 2 boxes is too damn high!

7 Likes

If it is just for transitions, i am using a Hologram Microcosm as an Fx insert with the OT. It has an integrated looper with flexible options to serve as a looper for transition. 1 track only though.
It has Midi Sync and supports different subdivisions or multipliers of the tempo, 44 FX, 16 memory slots, stereo, reverse and it’s possible to stack different loops with different fx on the loop. You can also the speed of the recording (affects the pitch) and stack over the new speed.
You need to like its FX though (Delays, glitchs, granulars and other undescribable things).

2 Likes