Loopers

Yeah they added that option to go directly into overdub instead of play recently. I’ve only had it for a few weeks and I don’t know anything about the midi other than clock/start/stop works like a champ.

Another thing I thought was kind of silly, but now I’m kind of stoked about is the ability to update over Bluetooth. It’s just so easy compared to what I can recall about updating my Infinity years ago.

1 Like

Oh could it be… can I finally replace the rc505? would be awesome.
gonna check it out again :slight_smile:

The mention of immediate overdub reminds me to make sure the Chase Bliss blooper gets a fair shake with everybody here.
The blooper is more than just hype.
It’s not stereo and it only has 1 “track”. Those elements might be deal breakers for some people.
However, it’s got tons of features, including midi control over almost everything, and the ability to automatically overdub, if you want, instead of going straight to playback only. It’s loaded with “modifiers”, which are basically effects. And there are Layers, which let you strip out later overdubs to go back to the first loop or the 1 & 2nd loop, etc… then you can come back to the vastest recorded loop.
Fair to say, it’s a different kind of looper. For me it falls into the category of “constraints bring forth creative development”.
At the same time, I’m still following this thread because I’m interested in a multi track looper for arrangement focused purposes.

On their specs webpage it just says:

:laughing:

1 Like

How are you finding it? is the setup with ipad working fine?

This may be a silly question, but I have not been able to figure out how to save the loops from my OT to its sample library. Do you have any tricks for this? I was internally resampling pickup machines the other night, and came up with something great, but for the life of me couldn’t figure a way to save it. I ended up recording it to a tape, which I’m trying to mostly get away from

Fn+Bank in REC SETUP 1 > SAVE THIS RECORDING, or SAVE ALL RECORDINGS (no assign choice, assigned to self, the recording buffer)

Or Audio Editor > FILE > SAVE AND ASSIGN SAMPLE

MKI : RECAB+BANK > FILE > SAVE AND ASSIGN SAMPLE

MKII : Fn + REC3 > FILE > SAVE AND ASSIGN SAMPLE

2 Likes

^ What he said, hah.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the new Boss RC 500? Very hard to find info about it online. Was wondering if there is anything that it does that is different/better than the Boss RC 202? In particular, I’m curious about the midi sync with Elektron machines and the ability for them to play nice with each other. Also, how is/not the RC 500 better/worse than Pigtronix Infinity or comparable EHX loopers? Thank you!

2 Likes

The Boss RC-5 is small but has plenty of midi options. I would love to hear some experiences with this pedal.

Ah, thanks!

curious to hear some experience exactly like you’re asking, i like what i’ve seen of it in YT reviews but it’s all been guitar playing really. hoping it’s stable and reliable and treats MIDI sync how one would hope on a looper like this.

I’ve had the Ditto X4 for a few months. I got it after watching @Aldo’s videos because I also enjoy playing guitar with my synth and sampler. I wanted MIDI sync, thinking I could trigger it from my M:S or OP-Z. Neither of them works that well for it, so I’m just sending the MIDI clock sync from my M:S and triggering the Ditto with my foot.

I’ve experienced all the issues people here have mentioned. A few lockups. It seems to miss MIDI triggers (part of why it didn’t work all that well with my OP-Z). And it’s weird about start/stop when it already has loops stored. Sometimes when I start the M:S sequencer the Ditto starts the loop where it left off, rather than from the beginning.

All that said, it’s still fine. If I were taking it on stage I might be a little nervous about relying on it. But an occasional glitch at home is no big deal.

I’ve had no trouble overdubbing anything in the OT, using the master pickup machine.

I did have problems with slave pickup machines - mostly the “Dub Rec Aborted” error. Setting the record length to a very small value seemed to solve the issue, or at least reduce incidences.

I have heard that overdub is also possible if using a Flex Machine instead of Pickup for looping, but @sezare56 is the master of that technique, not me.

1 Like

I know someone on a french forum who sold is Pigtronix Infinity for an RC500…
He’s major feature request was L/R pan for each track. And it was in an Aeros topic…

rc500/Pigtronix

https://fr.m.audiofanzine.com/looper/singular-sound/aeros-loop-studio/forums/t.693564,commentaires-sur-la-news-singular-sound-s-apprete-a-devoiler-un-nouveau-looper,post.10498254.html

I know RC505/RC202 pretty well so I can check the specs/manual…a bit curious about RC500. But I guess I wouldn’t sell my RC505 paid 300€ as new for it…

1 Like

I experienced it quite a lot. I has some caveats if you use filter fx on the track, progressive sound degradation getting really bad after 20 passes…you can’t overdub when you want.

I can’t say I master it! :content:
I didn’t find an ideal setup yet.
I have to experience more new workflows like 2 recorders recording the same loop (examples below), program changes to stop recording…

Destructive loop with 8 strings guitar + 3 drums sounds. Lower CUE send, for loop decay. Trig conditions to modulate the loop…

Destructive looping, from an existing sample…

3 Likes

I’ve actually modified it a bit. I’ve recently bought a new phone so am using my old iPhone SE as the dedicated ‘brains’ to run Quantiloop. Audio is being piped via a Behringer UCA222 (which has surprisingly good sound quality) in parallel mode, with midi control coming from a Yamaha MD-BT01 connected to an Eventide PitchFactor. It works great and is a lot more flexible than a dedicated pedal (though the new Boss RC500 looks pretty good on paper).

1 Like

So you control quantiloop via the pitchfactor? I.e. you send midi messages to control it from the pitchfactor

Sort of. All Factor pedals have two external pedal inputs which can be used to control parameters in the pedal, but they can also be programmed to tell the Factor to send a MIDI CC value from the midi port. I’ve got a DIY three button switch (basically a clone of a Digitech FS3X) plugged into one of these inputs. I’ve then programmed the PitchFactor to send a momentary MIDI CC for each button. Quantiloop responds to these cc messages - one button does start/play/stop, another does instant stop/start and the third does cycle/tap tempo.

2 Likes

I think I’ve owned every single looper on here, and the most special and underrated one to my mind is the vox dynamic looper. I almost never see anything about it, but it’s really unique and special. Highly recommended looking into it! I like it as much as my blooper, my 505, 95000, 202, ditto x4 and others!

1 Like