Loom - Multidimensional MPE Ribbon from Aodyo

No.

That’s the outside limit. Non-inclusive limit.
I do have high expectations though – no pressure here ( pun ) Aodyo !

1 Like

So what should we expect?

Their best effort.

BTW : The Sensel Morph is limited as well. There are systems beyond that.

1 Like

What the extensive crowdfunding documentation and videos show. I think it’s a lot already! If this is not enough, then one can wait for product reviews and sales start. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like the look of the dark-toned wood on a black-and-white background. The contrast of the natural element and the synthetic.

2 Likes

To be fair, unless I’ve missed it in which case please point it out to me, the extensive crowdfunding documentation and videos conveniently gloss over the subject of z-pressure sensitivity. I believe they literally only say the ribbon has “three-dimensions” and that it has an “x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis” but then don’t show that z-axis in the videos.

This is, as you say, “not enough” for anyone thinking of using the loom for poly-AT purposes, and z-force is kind of a big deal in MPE instruments generally (which the kickstarter copy calls out). But I suppose I missed the point where this moved from being a speculation thread to a “wait and see” thread, so I’ll stop going on about it.

1 Like

As said elsewhere, the sensors we use for the multitouch surface are a mix of capacitive and piezo, no FSR. My subjective feeling about what we have today is this: it’s quite good for contact area size, for “impact force” too, but force measurement for aftertouch isn’t nearly as accurate with our sensor mix as a Sensel Morph (hence why we rely more on capacitive on this part for now), and it’ll need to be played a bit differently. Of course, we’re still working on improving this.

6 Likes

I pulled out. I’m sure it’s going to be a cool product from an excellent company and the price is on point, but I’m luxuriating in my thus far successful NGNY too much right now. I couldn’t go through with it. :cold_face: :foot: :foot: maybe next year, along with an Omega.

1 Like

Overall, certainly not an order of magnitude, but Loom’s longer Y vs. Linnstrument’s or Continuumini’s is the biggest selling factor for me. Their Y implementations have potential in theory, but playing them was just never satisfying. The Push 3’s is more like it, and since the Loom’s Y is even longer than that, it’s worth a try.

Having the Continuum and Push 3, the Loom looks cool, but I fear the same fate. Its cost takes the worry out of that, but ultra-portability is the 2nd biggest selling factor for me. At 555g, I’m not confident it’s going to fit the bill there, but again: price. Sensel’s Morph is truly ultra-portable, and it’s a shame they didn’t continue to at least upgrade it, incrementing its size and processing power.

I wonder whether Loom uses the same type of sensor technology as with the Soundplane from Madrona Labs. It seems to be inspired by that anyway, which is a controller I’ve always been curious about - yet they’ve been difficult to come by…

Imo their comparatively smaller Y axis is a non-issue. Both are highly expressive despite this apparent physical limitation. A bigger Y axis can also be a challenge when using multiple fingers of the same hand.

The area to scan for “issues” is the sensor technology limitations, not the physical size of the various dimensions. For example, the Continuumini is (only) duo-tactic, but in certain regions of Y and Z de facto only mono-tactic. The Linnstrument has a series of well-documented limitations (eg max 3 vertical pads, 10mm min distance on the same row, etc) that are noticeable in certain edge cases. The Loom will come with its very own sensor-related limitations. Up to you to decide which limits to embrace.

As for pricing, a point to consider is that expressive controllers are as niche and as experimental as it gets. Many synth players don’t see why they should pay more than one or two hundred bucks on a controller without sound engine, only to sound like a cat in a violin.

1 Like

Yes, I see your point about multi-finger Y: a somewhat longer throw can be, counter-intuitively, more challenging. Only up to a point, however, because added length becomes an advantage again, e.g. Continuum. Linnstrument and Continuumini are positively claustrophobic when compared to a Continuum, whose Y is so lengthy that multi-finger works great and with hand positions that stay natural and comfy. I can’t tell in advance how Loom will work out in practice, but it’s worth a try.

1 Like

Yup. Again, I’m only talking z-pressure here.

Just remap the cc’s and use Y instead?

Another one of the features that isn’t talked about much is Fader Mode.

Just thinking out loud. Some ideas here are good some are less so.

You could set up 25 or 37 faders, Each LEDs color, or maybe intensity, would give a rough sense of the faders current position. Or you could combine some faders with a smaller keyboard section.

Or alternatively faders could run horizontally, you’d just have a lot less of them. Or hold the Mode button down and touch a Pad position to switch between multiple sliders.

Editor Screen :

Another Idea:

For developer mode how about a small area on the Loom like with the Korg logue SDK where you could store compressed simple p-code like programs that could store custom modes, beyond the simpler parameter change sorts of things you can store in the predefined modes.

Here’s what is said about what Aodyo has planned :

You’re not limited to the modes we’ve designed. If you know your way around code, you can also take over and create your own. You can send a specific MIDI message to enter developer mode, where every input will be sent as-is, and you’ll be able to control the LEDs and display by sending MIDI SysEx messages to the Loom from your own program or script running on your computer. This way, you can entirely control what’s happening on your Loom, design new playing modes that you can distribute to others, or use Loom as an experimentation platform.

This would just move the control back into a sand box on the Loom.

2 Likes

I have always been impressed by this but stayed away due to my limited budget. How different is it compared to this?

1 Like

I have been thinking of that comparison too.

May i suggest the MPE Controller thread for a good place to talk in depth about comparisons of Loom to other controllers.

1 Like
2 Likes

More demos.
Notice the various modes, tagged in blue near top.

With the Waldorf Iridium Core :

With the AKAI MPC ONE :

I think the ability to quickly switch between various modes in performance will be one of this controllers strengths.

ADDED : Three ways to switch between modes.

I know a few other controllers can do it, but polyphonic ribbon control is an interesting way to control a synth.

4 Likes
3 Likes