MPE Synth/Controller options

HS is indeed an MPE controller because with it you can indeed control another MPE capable synth engine. The controller may not have all the physical polyphonic dimensions that you’d expect but that’s matter of definition.

How? If it’s not sending information that is fundamentally MPE, then how is it an MPE controller? How is it any different than Polyphonic Aftertouch?

1 Like

MPE is a protocol that is agnostic of any particular controller and many do not utiize all the dimensions laid out in the protocol.

The Protocol though requires particular stuff to be sent on individual midi channels and global sends to go on a particular channel.

So what are the hydrasynths controlling with MPE besides polyphonic aftertouch?

1 Like
  • polyphonic pitch bend (MPE-X): slide notes in theremin mode on the ribbon while playing other unbent notes on the keybed - yes, the theremin is monophonic but all in all it is polyphonic pitch bend because not all notes bend at the same time …

• control one note per channel

1 Like

A proper MPE controller is one that can facilitate all dimensions of touch, therefore making full use of the MPE protocol.

Transmitting channel-per-note data alone, while certainly taking advantage of the MPE protocol, does not constitute an MPE controller.

Cheers!

7 Likes

well, then HS is only an improper MPE controller :sunglasses:

Edit: TBF your interpretation is obviously right.

As a matter of fact, one of ASM’s staff stepped out and said that HS is an MPE controller and in a way I can understand why that person was saying that. Nevertheless, when I had read that for the first time I was also struck by surprise because I would never have perceived the HS in this manner.

2 Likes

Usually an MPE controller will sacrifice some aspect of the dimensions and the Continuum for instance recommends against sending Note On Velocity and defaults to 127 as a fixed velocity for all notes.

In that sense the Hydrasynth outperforms the Continuum by providing reliable NoteOn/NoteOff velocities for the dimensions in the spec at the cost of some of the other dimensions.

This is semantic.

The Continuum simply replaces “velocity”, typically calculated by key-travel-over-time, with a pressure-over-time algorithm instead. This is because (and I’m paraphrasing here) the original vision for the EaganMatrix (and an ongoing debate in the MPE sphere) was to achieve expressivity without the need for static modulators like LFOs and envelopes. Never mind that the mechanism at play in the Continuum (for which the EaganMatrix was designed) differs from other MPE controllers, and certainly from that of your standard keyboard.

Regardless, the functionality of the Z-axis remains the same, and the Continuum still delivers all dimensions of touch, as would be expected of an MPE controller; albeit by way of a more elaborate set of calculations, post sensor.

So, in this case, Haken’s “recommendations” speak more to the method of synthesis being employed, rather than the MPE protocol itself.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Added Push 3 to the list.

LATER : ADDED the Korg Keystage to the list.

2 Likes

The Push 3 has utterly spoiled me on MPE. For me, it changes electronic instruments into actual instruments, like my guitar, that can be played with nuance and feeling.

I am less and less interested in sequencers, because they feel dead now. I tend to just improvise on the Push’s pads, and then use the MIDI capture button to grab anything I like.

The ratchet/repeat function is especially great with MPE drums. And MPE also transforms chopped samples into something more organic, without the drony blur of granular, which isn’t my cup of tea.

The downside of this is that I don’t have any more portable alternatives to the Push 3. The Keith McMillen K-Board looks neat, but I would also love a 4x4 MPE pad controller.

What do you folks recommend for small and portable MPE?

1 Like

Give the Exquis from Intuitive Instruments a look. They are just coming out, and the user definable layout feature, last i knew, is somewhat up in the air, but even with that it has good MPE, with a grid sort of layout and a more compact size, though not tiny. The other controls on it would potentially be of interest too. ( thread )

2 Likes

I kickstarted the Exquis, and it is supposed to arrive on Saturday. I’ll report back how it feels/plays.

4 Likes

Ok I played with the Exquis for a bit.

Overall build is solid. Pads are very playable. So far I think it’s better to use two hands instead of one, especially when playing chords with four or more notes. Built in arpeggiator is very simple, but fun to use as there is a slide you can move up and down with one hand while holding notes etc the other.

When I first plugged it in bitwig recognized it right away, played perfectly. MPE enabled synths recognized all the vectors (xy axis, z axis, pressure, velocity), truly plug and play.

The encoders are both endless rotary and pushable. They are plastic and work fine …but maybe feel a little weak? I feel like I need to be careful with them.

The company selling this has provided some of it’s own software, like more of an instrument library using the Surge VST with a ton of presets, and it works well, and is integrated well with the device. However it is pretty simple, and I can’t see why I would use this instead of Bitwig. Maybe if I can find a way to open their software within Bitwig that would be useful?

Overall very pleased with it for the price, but I likely won’t keep it, for the same reason I didn’t keep the linnstrument. I personally prefer playing a keyboard.

5 Likes

Embodme is working on an improved version of their control surface that they are calling ERAE II. ( post )

1 Like

I’m in the market for an MPE Controller…

I’ve had a Push 3 Standalone (that I sent back because the standalone part felt clunky).

I’m hesitant to order an ordinary Push 3 or something else. I don’t like that much that big chunks of the Push 3 interface are tied to Live.

Exquis seems tempting, even more so at that pricepoint. Has anyone been able to compare it with a Push 3?

Osmose seems really nice too. Tried it in a local shop and it’s very playable and organic.

I’m utterly devoted to my Linnstrument. Rock solid and works with everything.

9 Likes

Heck yeah! Roger got it right almost 10 years ago and it is still the best MPE controller ever… changed my life!

4 Likes

I added the Loom from Aodyo ( thread ) to the list.

ADDED : This one, in my opinion, really changes the terrain for MPE controllers.

1 Like

Does anyone own Rise 2? Are you happy with it? What are the limitations ?