Looking for feedback on our new track - Envy

Hi Everyone,

Before we publish our new track (which is called Envy), I wanted to to share it for any feedback… good or bad :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gino

1 Like

Great progression! The weaving in and out of different sounds felt subtle but smooth

1 Like

It’s not my cup of tea and admittedly I only listened on my iPhone speakers (as many others will no doubt do) but the only things I would criticise is the volume of the vocal in the louder, shouty bits - it seemed to dwarf everything else - and I couldn’t really tell what the vocal was saying: was it ‘it’s better when you make time’??? Otherwise, I’m sure this will go over nicely in the right circles.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :slight_smile:

The lyric in that part is “it’s better 'til you’re better”

@craig TBH up here, this quick exploration I made in about 9 minutes with DT+ DN would probably fair better :slight_smile:

1 Like

And btw, I was trying to be as critical as possible (as that’s what I find most useful when I request feedback) but the track is decent and would work on the radio as is :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Sounds decent.

If I’m being super critical the vocals sound a bit to isolated from the rest of the mix, might benefit from a bit of compression or some send effects just to glue them in a bit.

Again, if I’m being super critical.

1 Like

To me based on the sounds in the rest of the track I would maybe consider a bit more processing on the vocals, maybe tears for fears style with a big bright gated reverb on the vocals. Obviously it all depends on what you want but that’s my thought.

1 Like

On a side note, I find the focus on the vocals very interesting. I guess it’s the thing we are most critical or complimentary about because of our nature. I found mixing vocals the hardest thing to do in all of my older projects/bands.

2 Likes

The vocals dont sit right in the mix. As others have said. Sounds like unfinished work/ work in progress.

I wouldnt publish it until that is addressed.

1 Like

Yeah, I like the critical stuff!

This track was interesting to work on because it has a lot of 5/4 in it, and does not sound like it (that was something we were trying to achieve). It also does not follow a typical structure. It’s more like ABC than ABACAB.

1 Like

Yeah mixing vocals is hard, not sure if I would want to do it unless I was getting paid :sweat_smile: and I’m pretty sure no one would want to pay me to mix vocals because I pretty much never do it.

1 Like

Your listeners wont notice any of that. But what they will notice, is the vocals. If anything, thats the thing that will get the most attention. Not the structure, not the synth patches or drum programming, not even the bassline.

1 Like

Well I do! :slight_smile: and part of being an artist is making those decisions.

Regarding vocals, we wanted to showcase the lower range of the signer, and wanted it to be dryer. Past tracks were criticized for having too much processing and fx on vocals.

Point taken, and I appreciate the feedback.

I like the track. It has a good progression with good changes and an interesting structure. I like the switching time signatures.

I would agree with others that the vocals don’t quite sit in the mix. I understand the desire to make them sound more dry and transparent, but at the moment they feel separated from the rest of the track. I’m not sure if I would go with much more reverb, but especially given the style/tone of the song, they maybe could use some saturation. You mention that you want to highlight her lower register…a bit more warmth down there might help it all punch a little harder.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

This is what we ended up publishing, and please feel free to comment (good or bad is always welcome).