Nei trigger conditions, is this working?

Hello you all,
I can’t find a way to make the neighbor track conditions to be functional.
To explain you my current pattern:
Track 2 is playing all 16 steps with the conditions nei engaged.
Track 3 is playing only certain trigs and should latch the track 2 trigs but it doesn’t seem to working.
Would you have some advice to broaden my knowledge ?
Thanks
Max

Do the trigs on track 3 have conditions applied? NEI only works as a result of a trig condition, not a regular trig.

edit: also I think you may need to switch the tracks, so track 3 responds to track 2, instead of the other way around.

5 Likes

thanks pselodux
I tried to copy track 3 to 1, so that track 2 has a neighbour on each side. and it is still not working as intended …
i will try a search on the manual and youtube to find a way …

thanks anyway !!

Try a simple experiment on a new project. Put two completely different sounds on Tracks 1 & 2. On Track 1, step 1, set a TRC of 50%. On Track 2, step 1, set a TRC of NOT NEI (NEI with a line). Then when Track 1 plays, Track 2 won’t play, and when Track 1 doesn’t play, Track 2 will play instead. Go from there once it makes more sense. Neighbour TRCs always go in sequential order. Track 2 reacts to Track 1, Track 3 reacts to Track 2, and so on. Neighbour TRCs always react to the previous neighbouring track. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Ricky Tinez covers it in this video :

1 Like

thanks dear forum buddies !
That made my way through these condition triggers

1 Like

Hello Craig your experiment is working perfectly. thanks !

but still my sequence is still buggy.
try this
place 3 trigs on track 1 100% probability
16 trigs on track with NEI on track 2
play it
if you hear only track 1 trigs all is well (well, you should hear track 2 in unison of track 1, trigs and I don’t )

then modify one of track 1 to UN_NEI, then this trig acts as a latch to track 2.

isn’t it weird ?

sound like a bug, no ?

I 'll watch Ricky Tinez now. Maybe his explanation will bring me some more light !

Ok I finally got it… the NEI and NOT_NEI refers to evaluated probabilty of the last played trig on the neighbour track only, not the fact that a trigger is playing or not on the same step…
the manual isn’t so precise about this.

Anyway, the UN_NEI acts as a latch to the following track if its trigs are on NEI condition. hidden feature it seems !

thanks for giving me insight on this !!

2 Likes

Also keep in mind that NEI condition looks for trigs on the preceding track. So NEI on track 1 will not do anything as there isn’t a preceding track.

1 Like

Would actually make sense if it would wrap around, so track 1 looks at track 8.

Thank you for asking this question as it made me explore NEI and !NEI again.
Just used it on 4 midi tracks, and it’s very cool once you get them chained together.
Adds some nice variance on patterns.

Track 1 - An 8th Arp (8 notes) at 50% probability
Track 2 - Sliding Bassline played over it (2 bars) all trigs with !NEI
Track 3 - 2nd Arp (4 notes) all trigs with !NEI
Track 4 - 3rd Arp (7 notes) all trigs with NEI

Sure it sounds like insanity, but sometimes that can be good :slight_smile:

Edit - Here is what I made with this setup. I call it “NEIbor NEIbor”
(Digitone and Digitakt)

6 Likes

Just theoretically, but not practically, because where do you start evaluating and where to you stop evaluating conditions?

For performance reasons the trigs are evaluated only once from top to bottom (track 1 to 8). So when the step on track 1 gets evaluated there is no state from track 8 available.

But you can also not evaluate the trig on track 8 first, because this one might depend on the track(s) before.

In the worst case it depends on all 7 tracks before and switches its state which each new evaluation round … :wink:

2 Likes

It seems that NEIghbours is a great theme.
It is giving an opportunity for us for some further experimentation and interesting exchanges.
It feels like the digitakt has this not-so-immediate side that can find its way into creation and reveal nice discoveries. It’s fascinating. To be honest, I still I do not know if it has found its way in my music, but I guess one day all this will be internalized and intuitive…
thanks for sharing your expertise!

Hello together,
I’am a new digitakt user and I start to get used to it. Now I wanted to create so e choking hats and for that I need the trigger conditions. My display shows only the probability and no NEI or Fill or others… Where can I adjust this?
Have someone an idea?
Thank you in advance

On the ‘TRIG’ page. Push and hold the step you want to add the conditional to. Turning knob ‘D’ to the left sets probability for that step. Turning to the right sets the conditionals; FILL PRE NEI 1ST X:X

Also, if you are not p-locking a step, adjusting probability on the same page adjusts probability of all trigs on that track. P-locked probability/conditionals override the track probability.

Works… Thank you. I simply forgot to push the record button…
:heart::+1:

1 Like