Looking for an "all-in-one" keyboard

Korg Kross has a horrible interface. But there’s not a lot it can’t do. Downright awful keybed tho.

Someone who has used a Nord Stage 1/2 and a MODX can give some insight on how they compare to each other?

What about the montage6? There are a pair of second hand montage6 on my zone for 1500-1700€, which seems quite a steal compared to the 2600€ of a new one at Thomann.

once you get used to using a good weighted keyboard, so many synths are ‘ruined’ :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Can’t comment about the MODX but I recently switched from a Kurzweil PC3 to a used Nord Stage 2 Compact for my cover band and home studio instrument. Compared to the PC3 - which is an amazing instrument for sure - the Stage 2 allows me to do 95% of the stuff I did with the PC3 for a fraction of the time and mental effort. It also weighs 6kg less for the same number and quality of keys, which is important to me since I haul the keyboard to rehearsals on my back.
The reason I went for the Stage compared to a workstation keyboard (like the MODX) is that it only has the features that I need in a band context. I don’t need a sequencer or thousands of instrument sounds (though the Nord sample library allows you to import any samples you want), just the essential keyboard sounds and a good synth engine with easy editing. To me that simplicity and focus was worth the extra money, even though I’m only an amateur/semi-pro player.

3 Likes

I recently got a MIDI keyboard from synthesizers.com and I’m putting a raspberry pi 4 inside. I wanted a very solid keyboard with metal and wood enclosure (no plastic) and a high-quality keybed, small enough to fit in a carryon luggage and enough space inside to do the mod I’m doing. I want realistic electric pianos, organs (Hammond and Vox mostly), as well as some pads, leads, bass, etc. For now I’m running fluidsynth in the raspberry pi, that uses soundfonts (a sample-based format), and it sounds great. If you don’t want to do all the diy work, a simpler solution would be the original synthesizers.com keyboard plus a Zynthian box.

(Note I had to perform surgery on the rpi to remove the Ethernet port and 3 of the 4 USB ports, otherwise it wouldnt fit in a position to properly dissipate heat)

MODX. Best bang for the buck.

Oh hell yes. Funny though, the new Arturia Keystep 37 holds up pretty well.

1 Like

This is my concern regarding keyboards like the MODX, which otherwise seems an excellent choice.

My friend has a roland FA-08 for this kind of multi-use and he loves it. The weighted keys feel really good and it has a ton of sound options. He found a b stock deal for under $1400 I believe

1 Like

What about the Roland A88? I guess you need built in sound, but an iPad and an audio audio interface might give a lot more options though also be more stuff to drag around.

I don’t have one, just curious.

Yeah I’m in the same situation, the options are few and expensive.

1 Like

What about the Kurzweil PC4? How does it compare to the Modx8?

I’m sort of on the same quest: I need a good master keyboard with MIDI functionality, a stage (and home) piano with good quality piano sounds, and something that is build to last (no plastic housing please) with a good (hammered a like) keybed. Not too heavy and bulky (73 keys is enough) and it should look at least a bit nice (so many keyboards and digital piano’s won’t win the “most beatiful gear” award).

And it can’t cost me €2700,- or more as I’m no way a professional keyboard player (I’m looking at you beatiful Clavia Nord Piano 5)

So after a few weeks of research I just ordered a Yamaha CP73 from Thomann which ticks most of the boxes for me.

The MIDI functionality is in my opinion very extended for a stage piano: Split keyboard with assignable midi channels for each zone with a max of 4, pitch and modulation controls and dedicated octave transpose buttons.

It also has USB audio for easy recording or playback from/to a computer.

And last but not least: It recently received an update with some great sounding new piano’s and more so Yamaha is still working on new features for it which is nice of course.

Maybe it could be an interesting keyboard for you as well.

1 Like

The Roland RD-88 is in this same category: a stage piano with organ and synth sounds, and very good MIDI capabilities. Very good price too for what it is.

1 Like

The Roland was on my list as well. Nice looks and has most of the things I want. It’s also a bit cheaper. The Yamaha was more appeiling to me though and I like the onboard sounds much more than the Roland sounds. And it does come with 73 keys (the Roland has a 88 keys version only).

Some good reviews I really liked for these keyboards:

1 Like

Now the thing is to choose between a good piano emulation with a good keyboard, or a complete workstation with its synths and flexibility.

If it’s something you’ll be carrying around A LOT, studiologic numa compact x2 is worth a look at. Buddy of mine uses that + KeyStage app on iPad for mostly all of his gigs. His back is thanking him now since he ditch the 35kg stage pianos

1 Like

Just now, I’m in the middle of an analysis paralysis :sweat_smile:

Do you have it down to your top three or four picks ?
We all could help you throw your darts .