Looking for an "all-in-one" keyboard

Yeah I’m in the same situation, the options are few and expensive.

1 Like

What about the Kurzweil PC4? How does it compare to the Modx8?

I’m sort of on the same quest: I need a good master keyboard with MIDI functionality, a stage (and home) piano with good quality piano sounds, and something that is build to last (no plastic housing please) with a good (hammered a like) keybed. Not too heavy and bulky (73 keys is enough) and it should look at least a bit nice (so many keyboards and digital piano’s won’t win the “most beatiful gear” award).

And it can’t cost me €2700,- or more as I’m no way a professional keyboard player (I’m looking at you beatiful Clavia Nord Piano 5)

So after a few weeks of research I just ordered a Yamaha CP73 from Thomann which ticks most of the boxes for me.

The MIDI functionality is in my opinion very extended for a stage piano: Split keyboard with assignable midi channels for each zone with a max of 4, pitch and modulation controls and dedicated octave transpose buttons.

It also has USB audio for easy recording or playback from/to a computer.

And last but not least: It recently received an update with some great sounding new piano’s and more so Yamaha is still working on new features for it which is nice of course.

Maybe it could be an interesting keyboard for you as well.

1 Like

The Roland RD-88 is in this same category: a stage piano with organ and synth sounds, and very good MIDI capabilities. Very good price too for what it is.

1 Like

The Roland was on my list as well. Nice looks and has most of the things I want. It’s also a bit cheaper. The Yamaha was more appeiling to me though and I like the onboard sounds much more than the Roland sounds. And it does come with 73 keys (the Roland has a 88 keys version only).

Some good reviews I really liked for these keyboards:

1 Like

Now the thing is to choose between a good piano emulation with a good keyboard, or a complete workstation with its synths and flexibility.

If it’s something you’ll be carrying around A LOT, studiologic numa compact x2 is worth a look at. Buddy of mine uses that + KeyStage app on iPad for mostly all of his gigs. His back is thanking him now since he ditch the 35kg stage pianos

1 Like

Just now, I’m in the middle of an analysis paralysis :sweat_smile:

Do you have it down to your top three or four picks ?
We all could help you throw your darts .

Thank you @Jukka.

Just now my main concern is what I choose to favor and what I choose to sacrifice.

If the decision is a better piano feel, I’d probably go for the yamaha CP73, and couple it with the DN or A4 when I need synths.

If the decision is a synth/workstation, and sacrifice the good keybed, I’d go for the MODX or the Kurzweil PC4.

Just last year I had a mini-performance where I needed a piano on one song, an organ and a piano on another song, and a synth on a third song, and we only played these three songs :rofl:.

2 Likes

it’s a shame when you realise the ideal device for your needs is a Nord Stage,
and Nord Stages cost eleven billion dollars…

2 Likes

A Nord Stage 3 Compact, second hand ~2100€. A Nord Stage Ex, ~1300€. There aren’t many Stage 2 on sale.

I haven’t completely ruled it out.

Thanks for starting this as I’ve been thinking about the same thing for writing/ studio purposes, rather than performing: meaning the acoustic sounds are less important to me. I learnt to play piano but haven’t had a great keyboard for maybe 10-15 years.

I’m considering the Hydrasynth Deluxe because of the extensive expression in the keys and ribbon, attached to a deep synthesis engine… but I’m sceptical about the feel of the keys and keep coming back to something like the CP-73 instead. Need to find them to play in store I think!

1 Like

Yeah, deciding whether you want a good piano keybed or are OK with a synth action makes a huge difference. Needing a good piano keybed really reduces your options.

Had all the Nord stages and the Nord Stage 3 88 hammer action was the worst(for me). It wasn’t like a piano imo. The waterfall keybeds were okay but not for aftertouch feel especially in Sostenuto pieces. I really liked the Prophet Rev 2 keybed. Its a bit hard on the bottom of the shelf on the key depress however. You really need to try them as its the only way.

@sabana, would you recommend a second hand nord stage 1 or 2 for its piano/organ/synth combination? Or do you think it’s better to get a newer model of, for example, yamaha or kurzweil for a similar price? How have the nord stages aged?

If money is an issue go for a stage 2 73 key. Theres not a great deal of difference. Ive always liked the Yamaha keybeds but never tried a Kurzweil.

Definitely play them side by side.

I go between a HSK, and an older Yamaha ( P-80 ) piano action keyboard, and a real piano. The HS Deluxe keybed is said to be slightly better in feel to the HSK ( something i want to test ). I hop between all three ( and others ) and while they’re all three different i adapt almost immediately. You’re playing each for very different purposes which helps adapt. I do love a poly-aftertouch synth.

I know this doesn’t help anyone looking for an all in one keyboard.
For that you’ve got to pick what you want to compromise, and try to minimize the shortcomings for your needs.
I don’t think a Hydrasynth would ever be the all in one. Maybe one of two, depending. Maybe not.

1 Like

Just now I’m in the train, coming back from a music store exposition, where I’ve tested some of the models.

These are my thoughs:

• Yamaha CP88/73: keyboard :drooling_face::drooling_face:, very good piano and electric piano sounds. Can control other synths via midi, but there isn’t a fast way to change the midi channel (I love how this is done in the keystep).

• Yamaha modx8: keyboard okish, good piano sounds, very fun synth. Obviously, I haven’t tried creating a patch, only played with presets, but I liked what I heard.

• Yamaha montage8: similar keyboard than the modx, and I found it less intuitive to use.

• Nord Stage 3: curiously not impressed by it. While the sounds of piano are fine, and the organ is probably the best, I didn’t find the keyboard so enjoyable, and the synth presets I tried were so-so.

• Roland rd-88: good in general, but I can’t say a thing that I liked more in it than either the cp or the modx.

They don’t have any kurzweil.

Another thing to consider is that someone is selling a good condition modx for 1200€ near my hometown, and nobody is selling a cp73 at the moment.

1 Like

You look at the YC73/88 aswell? From my understanding they are the same actions as the equivalent CP units but with over all deeper feature set.

1 Like