Looking for a sequencer to sequence patterns

Hi there.

I’m slowly making plans for a hardware setup, and I realized why I never used Elektron boxes for more than creating some sequences and sampling them into the DAW.
The thing is that I never managed to structure songs when using hardware. Having Patterns organized the same way on different machines is just impossible to me. (I’m really a software guy when it comes to sequencing/writing, but maybe it’s just that I don’t get the spirit ?)
So I’d like to create patterns in a chaotic way, and then organize them externally in the spirit of Ableton Live where I could trigger “Scenes” that would be sets of pattern, so I guess sets of Program Changes.

I’ve got a Nerdseq that I believe would do the job quite nicely, but I’m curious if anyone has ideas. Basically a small (could be a super old one) sequencer that allows to define sets of PCs and trigger them manually.

Thanks !

Look at squarp pyramid, I love it!

1 Like

i second Squarp Pyramid.

but beware its limitations. the most notable one is about 10000 events per project, so if you want to record lots of CC or pitch bend movements, you might reach the limit very quickly. (but there are workarounds)

Thanks !
Pyramid looks indeed like a powerful and fun sequencer.
Any idea for a very very simple one ? I might go further, but I love the idea of sequencing all on the boxes and using the “global sequencer” only to sequence pattern, meaning only sending PCs.

It could also be MIDI notes if your target devices are Elektron instruments with Multi Map …

What gear are you going to use in your hardware setup?

1 Like

Yes, in the case of MDUW that would do it.
I’m planning to use an OT, MD, maybe MnM and M:C.

The five12 vector sequencer has scene like things. It looks like a very cool thing, they are coming with standalone cases later this year.

1 Like

Love the Pyramid but I’d also suggest looking into an MPC1000 - brings you the sequencing you want plus an extra sample source.

1 Like

Looks super nice, but no way I’d put 715€ to send a few PCs !

Well, the simplest option would be just to use ableton lite on a 100,- used laptop.
There aren’t much standalone sequencers out there for no money. Perhaps an Ipad?

2 Likes

if youre looking for something chaotic, make noise rene will do the job

Yeah, why not an iPad indeed. I should investigate this direction !

I use beatmaker 3 on iPad, it has a scene like thing as well. Bram Bos Rozeta can do some interesting midi stuff too

I think I found the answer : lemur app on iPad or even iPhone. Should do the job decently.

1 Like

Still, I’m curious.
How do you guys do to organize and structure songs on several machines ? Very naive question, but still…

Sounds like you’re looking for Ableton Session View in hardware form, which to me looks like the Akai Force.

1 Like

Thanks, but I just want to manually trigger sets of Program Changes. That would be overkill.

I just built one myself. For unter 60$ you can buy the device to run the code. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen this ! Really interesting. I’ll have a closer look to see if it fits my workflow. My goal is basically to set “song parts” that are sets of PCs. These have to be kept in memory as “songs”. Then, on the device, have a button to trigger the next song part, and so on.

Ah, so you basically still want to trigger parts manally, but you don’t want to trigger patterns but patter-chains?
So for example:
Pattern1, Pattern2 and Pattern3x2 are the Verse, and Pattern4, Pattern 2 and Pattern7 are Hook, Pattern6 and Pattern7 are the Breakdown and you just want to have 3 pattern without the need to do that “Micromanagement”?