Looking for a semi modular mono synth with extensive controllable cc parameters

Making a synth misbehave is always fun. In definitely into weird unaccounted for side effects. :joy:

So the aftertouch is not programmable?

Yeah I want to say aftertouch and velocity is just mapped to amp volume and isn’t adjustable, poly aftertouch can cause it to jump and be clicky and weird.

1 Like

So basically keep it away from a keyboard :joy: gotcha @bwo

1 Like

I have one here though haven’t used it much
It’s polyphonic unless you want to patch it , then it’s monophonic

The base system1m sound is pretty good and underrated, I think I used it mostly for sh101 plug out duties , also has fx , presets and plug outs ( though not sure how easy it is to access them via Roland )

It’s also got audio and midi via usb though not class compliant ( needs driver on max ) can be euroracked, under £300 2nd hand

1 Like

Got you now. So MIDI CC and semi-modular together.

One tip off might be that a semi-modular mono where you can save patches. That usually means separating the knobs from direct control, which would make CC control of those knobs possible. I don’t know if that helps with the search or not.

1 Like

Haha or use the CV from a keyboard to control it, that way you get to pick what does what. Obviously no poly mode and oddly no CV for unison mode either.

1 Like

I’m also looking at the Sequential Circuits Pro 3! Anyone have experience with it?

1 Like

The price is very tempting for sure!

You’re definitely traveling down the rabbit holes I followed today :joy: I went from the 1M as my main mono to the dsi Pro2… which has some similarities to the Pro3. They sound great and have an amazing interface and super deep mod matrix… they aren’t a just a big sweet spot like a roland synth is more so, but I think Pro3 is a bit better than 2 as a sweet spot synth, while the 2 lets you go a bit more crazy.

1 Like

Yea I’m definitely taking my time with this selection. I’ve heard great things about the Pro-2. I’ll need to do a side by side comparison between the Pro 2 and 3.

Very limited versions of this is possible with the Dreadbox Erebus, and the Make Noise 0-Coast, because they both have MIDI to CV built in. But that’s going another direction than what is sought.

1 Like

I definitely have the O-Coast on my radar as well. Yes it’s more limited but it is unique and sounds amazing.

1 Like

I can’t recommend the Motas-6 enough, it’s got such a huge amount of deep modulation options over some really nice sounding and interesting analog parameters and then on top of that you’ve got extensive midi control over everything… I rarely get to this point because I can get so far with just the inbuilt modulation options.

There’s so much to hype about this synth that I’m going to have to stop here but I definitely recommend looking into it as there’s nothing else like it.

2 Likes

I second the Motas recommendation. Nice and compact desktop form factor, with a developer that has been adding to the features via several firmware updates. Sounds great and has modulation options that should keep anyone busy for days. Plus it can also function as three voice paraphonic, with an arpeggiator, sequencer, vector morphing and other goodies.

1 Like

Got another set of two, newer and lesser known, that just makes it over the line. Not really a semi-modular though. Each is reasonable in price

IK Multimedia has two analog three oscillator analog monosynths, the UNO Synth Pro. Each has 4 knobs on a matrix, and CC control into a modulation matrix, plus two CV / Gate inputs. There’s a 3 octave full sized keys, and a desktop unit with 2.5 octaves of a caoacitve keyboard. They both have a 64 step, multi parameter sequencer and a decent arpeggiator as well.

1 Like

Two more very new high performance options with links to the threads :

Majella Implexus

Artisan Nucleus

There aren’t manuals yet for either so the CC interface is not clearly defined.

The Implexus just completed its Kickstarter, and the Nucleus, is funding on Kickstarter.

2 Likes

My buddy offered me his O-coast for a decent price. I might jump on it despite no cc control.

The Implexus looks beautiful and sounds incredible!!!

+1 to this option, it’s probably the easiest way to go.

1 Like