Looking for a semi modular mono synth with extensive controllable cc parameters

I’m pretty satisfied with my setup but I would like to add a knobby mono synth to the family. Hopefully I can find a semi modular one with a good amount of controllable cc’s. I don’t care about size or cost and can be a desktop or keys. Thanks :pray:

2 Likes

This is potentially a very long list, so i’ll go with a new one that looks interesting, is reasonably priced, and off the beaten trail.

PWM Malevolent

1 Like

Roland system 1m possibly

1 Like

Another thread: Looking for analog mono synth.

You would think it would be a long list but it seems most semi modular synths have limited cc implementations.

That synth is definitely on my radar!!! Any experience with it?

Hmm I’m curious to see what you find, not a lot of semi modular stuff has midi cc control. I was thinking Delta Cep A but I guess it only does pitch and mod wheel. I think a CV OCD to convert your midi CCs to CV might be a good answer and then just pick a semimodular you enjoy.

2 Likes

This Malevolent looks great! I’ll definitely research this one.

1 Like

IMO It doesn’t make sense to add much CC control to a semi-modular. So many module configurations would render any recorded CCs pointless.

1 Like

I had a 1m, love the sound… patch points are a bit weak but still fun to be had, some of the midi CC stuff worked better than others, if you tried to use a midi CC lfo and the built in lfo on the same parameter it would get really really steppy, I actually used that in a song once I think, almost sounded granular. Using a midi cc lfo to give the lfo “slop” was great though.

1 Like

Yep I have a few synths I’m considering, I just want to see whats available with those specs. The Roland System 1m looks like the most comprehensive synth to have cv and cc well covered.

For myself I’ll like to have the option to either work with my cv stuff or midi sequencer. I’m just looking for a Swiss Army knife type of mono.

1 Like

Yeah my biggest problem with the 1m is how it responded to velocity and aftertouch which you can’t turn off, works fine when sequencing or controlling from a controller with fixed velocity and no aftertouch but yeah especially poly aftertouch sounded terrible on it.

1 Like

Making a synth misbehave is always fun. In definitely into weird unaccounted for side effects. :joy:

So the aftertouch is not programmable?

Yeah I want to say aftertouch and velocity is just mapped to amp volume and isn’t adjustable, poly aftertouch can cause it to jump and be clicky and weird.

1 Like

So basically keep it away from a keyboard :joy: gotcha @bwo

1 Like

I have one here though haven’t used it much
It’s polyphonic unless you want to patch it , then it’s monophonic

The base system1m sound is pretty good and underrated, I think I used it mostly for sh101 plug out duties , also has fx , presets and plug outs ( though not sure how easy it is to access them via Roland )

It’s also got audio and midi via usb though not class compliant ( needs driver on max ) can be euroracked, under £300 2nd hand

1 Like

Got you now. So MIDI CC and semi-modular together.

One tip off might be that a semi-modular mono where you can save patches. That usually means separating the knobs from direct control, which would make CC control of those knobs possible. I don’t know if that helps with the search or not.

1 Like

Haha or use the CV from a keyboard to control it, that way you get to pick what does what. Obviously no poly mode and oddly no CV for unison mode either.

1 Like