Logic Pro X + Overbridge + Digi´s

Oh, yes, you might be right about that last channel, it could be monitoring the ext in and not FX, which would explain why @Kontainer isn’t seeing anything on that channel . I’m just going by my hazy recall and can’t check as my DT is still in a box :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Ah… Sounds like that could be it. I’ll check the next time I got it hooked up @senor-bling @spikysimon

This is my setup as well (posted by spikysimon). I configured it yesterday exactly like that and today I saw this thread :slight_smile:
And the AU-plugins finally fixed my sync problems I had previously when recording directly on audio tracks. Now it’s possible for me to record long and short loops on separate tracks and layer them together without bothering about sync issues.

Although some issues that still not resolved:

• The actual recording is always delayed one bar (leaving the first bar with no sound at all)
  • Crashes and sync-problems occur occasionally, restarting logic gets it back in business.
1 Like

That’s odd, it doesn’t do that for me. The only issue I have is that recordings from OB and from my sound card are slightly out of sync, but a little nudge fixes that. I wish I was more of an OB/Logic expert so I could suggest what might fix your issue.

Hi again,

Funny thing, a month ago when I asked about this and got the answer, I just checked that I got connection and signal, witch I did. I never really recorded anything…
And now that I have actually made something that I want to record, it doesn’t! hehe

I have signal, and the play + rec works as normal, but I am not actually getting any recorded sound. The line is moving, but no sound is being recorded.

Anyone know why? :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need to play around with the metronome settings i believe, Ive resolved that issue a long time ago

1 Like

You need to create audio tracks to record the audio

4 Likes

Thnx! I will try that.

1 Like

Yeah I use the plugin. I don’t mind giving it a nudge, it’s fine.

Sorry if I´m turning this into a Logic help center, but I (hopefully) have one last question:

Probably just me that´s too noob at this, but dear god this was more work than I expected. So I opened a new project -> software instrument-> multi (1x stereo 5 x mono)

Then I sent each track to a different Bus. Panned each buss all the way. Then I opened audio tracks, set the input to one of the Busses.
Each time I set a bus an Aux channels was opened. So I have 3 channels per track now. channel 1 seems to be the master.

The menu on my digitone says:
Route to main: 7/7
Send to FX 6/6

My recordings seems to have effects on them, but I might be wrong.
I read that FX might be sent separately?

My question is, does this look correct?

If so I guess I should save as a template, and I can do this again if I just change the names of the tracks. I am tempted to just record separate tracks in the OB recorder and drag the files into Logic, but I feel determined to make this work now!

Again thanks for all the help!

Hard to tell exactly but that looks like it’s working to me. For the sends, you probably should set them to zero, rather than turning them up all the way as that adds gain

The individual tracks won’t have FX on them. If you’re hearing the FX it’s because the master out from the Digitone is playing through Logic’s main outs too (either because you recorded the master, or because Logic is monitoring your DN and your Digitone is playing) . Try soloing your recorded audio tracks – they should be dry.

If you want to record the FX separately, you’ll have to mess with the voice routing so only the FX tracks are getting sent to your main DN outputs, then you can record the FX track from the main outs.

2 Likes

I messed around with this a lot, but I’ve found that, if Overbridge is enabled in the Digitakt’s own settings, then I can just take separate inputs for each of the 10 tracks using the Core Audio. I don’t need to use the Overbridge plugin at all.

I do wonder what inputs 9 and 10 do though.

Hm so if got you right, to record 10 tracks from your Elektron Device, you need these 10 plugin tracks + 10 busses + 10 audio tracks taking audio from the busses ?
That’s 30 tracks and a huge CPU load.
Don’t you guys know any cleaner solution ? Even though it obviously works, I can’t believe it’s the only way to do it …

No, just one plugin track, with the outputs that you specify (plus the busses, and audio tracks to record the audio). the CPU load isn’t especially high IMO. there might be a cleaner way to do it that doesn’t require the use of busses, but the method I outlined works OK for me. If you want it simpler (no plugin, just the outputs direct to their own tracks), you can probably use the method that @Mistercharlie outlined to just grab the audio outputs

Yes, of course, that was the method I used before, but I want to take advantage of the AU plugin, it’s absolutely awesome.
But thanks for your answer, I’ll go for it and hope my old macbook will take it :smile:

1 Like

Hm. got flagged. strange. So Ill ask this question regarding my digitakt instead of my Rytm, since someone is feeling frisky. Can anyone help me finish this setup? Not understanding how to route the audio from my bus tracks to audio tracks. I created audio tracks and tried setting input as corresponding bus but thats not working…

Are you arming the record on each of the audio tracks? You have to do that otherwise it won’t record anything. Also, if you just want to hear the incoming tracks through the audio tracks you can switch on input monitoring (https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12934?locale=en_US).

1 Like

I was… but I thought because I couldnt see the input signal (like with normal recording ) that it wasnt going thru. hit record and behold it does work!

2 Likes

Logic does that sort of thing. I believe if Auto Input Monitoring is enabled (I have it in my tool bar up top) having channels record/input enabled won’t pass through audio until recording is actually taking place. Disabling that option should, if I recall correctly, allow input monitoring of anything you’ve enabled it for. Also, ditto on the DT routing so that the FX are the only tracks going to the main output (no sampler tracks) then you’ll have stereo pair 1 be FX, 2-9 be Sampler tracks 1-8, and the 10th stereo pair is a passthrough of the inputs. I’m not sure if that gets summed to mono, but otherwise looks like this is all how I have it set up. I first create arrange tracks for every track in the mixer so I can organize them (also have a Digitone Keys and iPad via IDAM along with my Audient interface as an aggregate), make folders, name nicely, etc, then hide all the tracks except those that actually record the bused audio and any other inputs. Hide tracks is wonderful for excessive setups like what this requires just to record some tracks off one USB cable…then, of course…SAVE AS TEMPLATE.

Ends up somewhere like this:

5 Likes

Really appreciate the help y’all. So which tracks should control the input volume? I notice several do affect the gain. Now to figure how and what tracks to hide. Such a crazy setup required for this…