Logic Pro (Mac)

Hi,
The suggested Andy app works just fine converting the midi clock to ableton link. At this point I have logic 10.7.5 receiving hardware machines clock. It is just needed to inject one of the machines MIDI clock into the macOS by usb.
Just for reference, it is working under macOS Ventura.
Thank you all for the support.

Can you preview sounds in the Logic browser while a sequence is playing? I remember that being an issue since the dawn of time

Honestly the “record midiFX” from this latest update should be great for this. Set up a bunch of arps with randomization and filtering to get that generative vibe, but then print it to a track to make it repeatable and tweakable by hand.

Hmm, what else? Logic got a step sequencer at some point, and it’s actually really good! Instead of recording or using the pencil on a midi track, right-click and "Create Pattern Region”. Lots of skip, loop, trig% options, too.

This works great with Drum Machine Designer, too, which is kind of new? It gives you a bunch of pads that you can just drag samples to for easy one shot triggering. But each of those pads is also a legit subtrack in Logic, so you can also add plugins to them individually (or to the DMD as a whole) or assign them softsynths like Ultrabeat or Sculpture instead of samples. It’s nothing you couldn’t do before with a bunch of tracks, routing, and piano rolls. But it’s so much faster and more convenient now that it’s been a real game changer for me.

There’s also the “Live Loops Grid” that acts as a Ableton-style “clip launcher” solution for Logic. And like Bitwig, you can have both it and the arranger up, side by side, at the same time. I’ve never gotten much into Ableton (I’m still using Logic, after all :wink: but I could see it being better for loop-heavy workflows.

On the mastering side, “Vintage EQ” and the (simply named but very deep) “Compressor” are new-ish, very good, and very slept on. Don’t think of them as “stock” plugins, they are solid.

Instrument-wise, the EXS24 is now just called “Sampler” but don’t be fooled. EXS24 has always been rad, and while the redesign removes a lot of friction, and makes everything more clear and straight-forward, all the ESX24 guts are still there.

And I don’t remember when “Retro Synth” was added, but you can get a lot of sweet analog gooeyness as a much needed complement to their more digital sounds (Alchemy, ES2, etc.). It has especially nice filters (that I’m dying for them to break out into their own plugins!)

4 Likes

Apple needs a Push for Logic.

4 Likes

This is confirmed by Arturia as well.

I wanted to use the transport controls on the KSP, and they way I described it they said the same thing. Let Logic control the KSP, not the other way around.

It’s for the best really. Way more control from Logic side. It was just that my laptop was out of reach.

But Apple already has a one-button push-like controller for Logic:

1 Like

I miss my Logic Control. There’s a lot of great stuff to come from the Apple acquisition (all plugins unlocked, 1/10th the price…) but the worst was the abandonment of the protools-like “tightly integrated control surfaces and DAW” partnership being spearheaded by Emagic and Mackie. Ableton and Novation really picked that up and ran with it.

2 Likes

That’s where Logic Remote is handy if you have a iPad. Take the Start and Stop controls (and more) with you anywhere in the room.

5 Likes

Hey, thank you so much for the recommendations!!

I will give those a try and see how it could make my workflow more interesting and less linear.
It seems like the “record midiFX” is definitely a nice addition and something I’ve never tried.

My bandmate got this insane new vst HY-SEQ32. I would highly recommend it for anyone with synths that have proper midi implementation.

I’m pretty sure I’ll buy it at some point but I want to learn the new stuff in Logic first.

Logic Pro has native support for the Novation Launchpad.

1 Like

I’m thinking this may work. I have one already, I have to see if i can d/l logic from my old family plan account rather than my current ID.

Also, how does the record midifx work? Does it just print to the track its set on?

Imagine you have a stack of MIDI FX:

ChordTrig
Arp
Randomizer

Normally, when you record on that track (by arming it and pressing the record button as normal) and play a “C” on your keyboard, you hear a randomized arp, but what gets recorded in the piano roll is just a “C”.

Well, let’s say you want to record the notes you actually hear. Click the up-down button next to “Randomizer” and select “Record MIDI to Track Here”.

A little yellow line is drawn under the randomizer. Anything above it will be allowed to process the MIDI before it’s actually recorded to the track. So when you record (arming the track, pressing record, and playing a note on your keyboard) what’s recorded isn’t your “C”, but the result of your “C” turned into a cord, then arped over, then randomized.

You don’t have to record all FX. If you just want the chords and arps recorded but not the random part, click the up-down arrow button next to “Arp” and select “Record MIDI to Track Here” (or just drag Randomizer below the yellow line). Now the yellow line is below Arp, but above Randomizer. So arp’s output will get recorded, but Randomizer’s won’t.

Make sense?

4 Likes

I’m trying it out in my new MacBook and will see if I can mesh with the workflow after working in Ableton, Cubase and Presonus Studio One.

Yes it does, thank you. Does it work for something like scaler?

I’m not sure what that is, so… maybe? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Works. D/L’d this morning and hooked it up with my 12.9 iPad as a controller. Outstanding. Integrates decent with Komplete kontrol as well, and the step sequencer with Maschine.

1 Like

The 10.8 just dropped.

7 Likes

Mastering Assistant looks… pretty nice? I already have a mastering setup but for something quick and on the fly this gives me exactly what I would want with a bypass right there. Don’t have an iPad but this going mobile with you really blows my mind for some reason.

Also, I guess you can do sample chords with Sample Alchemy? Like this in Bitwig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAch1Q0Iodc

1 Like

sample alchemy totally rules especially for a stock plugin

it’s very nice to get some granular stuff going without the sensory overload of pigments

2 Likes

I haven’t had enough of a chance to properly play with this yet, but it looks like a substantial and compelling upgrade, enough to distract me from Ableton for a while!

1 Like