Logic Pro (Mac)

Couldn’t find a general Logic Pro thread, so putting this here. There’s a new update that provides some helpful new features:

• The number of Round Robins available in Autosampler has been increased from 8 to 32.

• Smart Tempo detection has been improved.

• There are new key commands in the Smart Tempo Editor, including Toggle Track/Master View, Cycle Through Routing Destination Views and Cycle Through Subviews.

• When dragging plug-ins into category folders in the Plug-in Manager, there is now visual feedback to show folders which already contain the plug-in.

• Logic now offers a Region Gain tool.

• The Score in Logic now supports the SMuFL font Petaluma.

• When the Command key is assigned to the Marquee tool, clicking a region while pressing Command + Option + Shift adds the range of the region to an existing Marquee selection.

• There is a new key command called Remove Crossfades.

• The Change Length command now support non-integer values.

• Transients can now be viewed in the Smart Tempo Editor.

• There is now a Search Patch key command that opens the Patch area of the Sound Library and places the focus into the Search field.

• Individual Track Zoom can now be applied to a selection of multiple tracks.

• There is a new key command Select Channel Strips with Same Panner Type.

• Cycle range can now be adjusted in the Smart Tempo Editor ruler.

• Logic Pro now supports Ableton Link.

• Stomp boxes from the Pedalboard plug-in are now available as individual plug-ins.

• Logic can now record MIDI FX plug-in output as MIDI to the tracks area from any point in a chain of MIDI FX plug-ins.

• The Smart Tempo Editor now provides a method for giving the analysis algorithm hints regarding the location of beats in a region.

• The Dolby Atmos plug-in can now load Personalized Spatial Audio profiles created by iPhones with iOS 16 and a TrueDepth camera for an optimized Spatial Audio experience with headphones.

• Logic now includes new hard-hitting Stereo Output track presets specially designed for hip-hop production.

• Logic Pro now supports 32-bit floating point audio files natively.

13 Likes

Surprisingly it’s dropped in price by £25 in the UK App Store - was £199.99, now £174.99.

5 Likes

Wow. Rare for Apple to do that! Sales must be down!

For what you get, it really is a steal (I’ve mainly moved to Bitwig, but still use Logic from time to time)

4 Likes

Cool that Ableton created a kinda standard that even Apple implemented…

4 Likes

OMG you can record the output of MIDI FX now! At last!

Bing able to pull out individual stomp boxes without using Pedalboard is pretty nice too. It always felt like overkill to wire up a board just for a single distortion pedal or whatever.

And 32bit FP support is nice, though not something I personally have use for yet.

4 Likes

I’m really new to logic x.
Currently i’m trying to make logic to receive MIDI clock from external gear in order to sync the audio loops from external hardware, namely elektron gear. As far as i’ve checked Logic does not receive midi clock from external sources. There is any workaround for it ?
Thanks.

The workaround is to do it the other way around. Let Logic send MIiDI clock and your external gear be on the receiving end.

I understand that’s not the answer you were looking for but that’s the way Logic works. It’ll also be at a higher timing resolution than MIDI.

4 Likes

These are major improvements! I think the last time Logic added a third party solution with Rewire they were still Emagic.

They actually added Softube Console 1 support in 10.7.4 (or 3?). That alone was enough to make me start using it again.

It’s a cool implementation too, more like a control surface as well as normal console 1 use. You can control the mixer without having any console 1 plugins loaded (unlike any other DAW’s with full support).

It also has ARA for using Melodyne etc…

I was really getting into Studio One but it got really CPU heavy and buggy on larger projects.

I love Ableton live for a lot of things but I’ve never gotten super quick with the arrangement view.

Mixing just feels cumbersome when dealing with larger projects that have lots of plugins (can only see FX on one track at a time).

So I’m excited to see these things added to logic which were the few things holding me back from using it more.

6 Likes

Oh, right, I’ve seen this. Actually got me interested in a Console 1. But I’ve been disappointed by external controllers so often, I didn’t get all enthusiastic. Good to hear about your positive experience. It looked pretty cool in their demo video, but then again, it usually does. :slight_smile:

Just tested Ableton Link together with Drambo on the iPad. Damn, that’s cool. Like emerging from the Stone Age. :smiley:

2 Likes

The only workaround I know is to use Ableton and MTC Bridge. Basically get Logic to sync to MTC Bridge which syncs to Ableton which syncs to your external midi.

EDIT
If Logic now supports Ableton Link you just need an app that converts midi clock to Ableton Link, which Logic would then sync to. There are a couple of iOS options for this. Aside from Ableton itself, there’s also this option that may work on MacOS, but I haven’t tried it.
https://andyland.info/wordpress/?p=6310

2 Likes

I have been as well.

Console 1 is different though. I think it takes a while to get used to if you haven’t worked this way before. I would still only recommend it because of the Console 1 workflow vs. DAW controller. That is to say, get it for the Console 1 experience with DAW control as a bonus.

It’s really all about making broad adjustments while listening (IMO) and grabbing dedicated hardware knobs that basically stay the same.

You can really get a good mix on Console 1 by using just the hp/lp filters as well as the drive and character knobs. Drive/character I wouldn’t want to mix without anymore.

EQ’s are good for getting rid of mud and broad tonal shaping and unmasking other sounds. You’ll still want other tools for precision work.

Anyway, Logic integration was a loooong time coming and I’m happy to see all of these nice additions. Seems like it’ll be supported for years to come.

1 Like

It seems a good plan. I will try it with ableton link and leave feedback here.
Thanks.

I immediately checked the price on appstore and here in Finland the price has gone up from previous 199€ to 239€. The price fluctuations are probably related to currency transfer rates or something?

1 Like

This update solved an issue i was having monitoring spatial audio in realtime with airpods pro 2. So glad it’s fixed. Who is excited about spatial audio?

1 Like

I’m the opposite of excited, actually, and have been dying for someone to sell me on it. So if you’re excited about it, please say more!

I am actually mostly playing classical piano lately. Once I bought (the airpods) for a day or so, i didn’t quite catch what all the fuss was about(spatial). Then, suddenly i realized while watching something on the laptop and moving my head around that i had the illusion that i don’t wear the headphones, actually i wear them, but like the sound comes over them from the laptop speakers. The illusion was there because i was moving my head accidentally.

Also , first, i tried to record my virtual piano (a nord) through a scarlett i2, but monitor through airpods. No dice. Then this update came right when needed and fixed it. I will post some audio when worth it. But i guess you have to be into it, and have a way of monitoring spatially (is it a word?)

So, although the nord has a very nice 3d piano (binaurally recorded) it will be nice to see how the sound behaves when i move my head. I also want to mix / compose something slow, where every note is in a seperate spot in space.

2 Likes

Hi !
I’ve explored the suggested Andy app, but unfortunately I’m a zero understanding code and compiling code. I’ve followed the instructions in one post at github but without success. When I double click the file it opens a file with lots unintelligible text.
The ideia is to manage the clock in a macOS app.
Have you tried already the Andy app ?

There has been so many updates to Logic in the past couple of years.

I’m maybe using about 2-3% of all of the fancy tools and new performative stuff with Logic and have felt a bit sour about it. As there are so many new and pretty advanced functions added it would be cool to hear from the more skillful users here what would you recommend for someone like me to check out.

I make some kind of experimental ambient-ish stuff with some mild IDM flavors and would like to broaden my workflow ITB, as usually it’s just overdubs, arranging, re-amping and mixing at this point.

So, which new or obscure functions that you may have overlooked at first have been the most beneficial and essential to you once you started learning and using those?